Laser or No?

Laser or No?

This is a discussion on Laser or No? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Spent the lunch hour at the range with a couple of friends. One buddy brought a Ruger SR9 and a Ruger SP101 both with lasers. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Laser or No?

Laser or No?

Spent the lunch hour at the range with a couple of friends. One buddy brought a Ruger SR9 and a Ruger SP101 both with lasers. I thought the SR9 was ok to shoot with the green laser, but not fast at all. The SP101 was VERY slow to shoot. I didn't like them at all. I am sticking with my iron sights.....any thoughts?

What was the problem...was it hard to stay on target?

If conditions allow the use of a laser you can't beat them . But don't forget how to use you sights and point and fire.
    If you spend time with a laser you will adapt to not even looking at the sites you eyes will go right to where the dot should be your on target right now.
    paullie, rachilders and Tangle like this.

Break out the popcorn.

Lasers are a fun range toy but I've never liked them on my carry gun. I find that I am slower to acquire a laser than my regular sights.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I can't get used to the laser. Rather than creating bad habits I stick with std sights
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

here is how I look at it:

Pros -
    -Normally the bad guy will get scared when a gun is pointed at him, but he'll prob sh_t his pants when a laser is pointed at him (again, not always. I know about the drugged out meth-heads - just making a generalization).
    -In the dark it could be better/faster to aim
    -They look cool

Cons -
    -You can aim at them BUT they can aim at you too - they see where the laser is coming from
    -murphy's law - the laser will break when you need it (dead battery, button breaks, etc)
    -if it's broken and you don't practice with the iron sights, you're screwed

My wife has (well had) a laser on her Sig and she took it off the day she got it....we looked at the pros and cons, then realized the cons are just too bad. Plus the sights on the Sig are the best I've ever seen on any gun bar-none. I'm old school all the way, only iron sights for me...

Just my opinion - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by dcmb View Post
    What was the problem...was it hard to stay on target?
    No....but they were slow to aquire. I kind of enjoyed the SR9 with the laser, I can see the application of using the laser to keep a full magazing on on target during rapid fire. It was just slow to aquire that initial "on target" moment.

I shoot a 642 often. I can draw and get rounds on target very fast......the laser on the SP101 slowed me down and were not any more accurate.

On small guns they are a great option but for larger guns they don't have as much advantage.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Nooooooooooooooooo

Lasers are for sharks and sea bass.

I don't want one at all.

They might be of benefit to some people for practicing trigger control.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I think I would... wait that was my post in the last laser thread.

Lasers can be a great training aid, but a lot of folks end up chasing the dot rather than taking the shot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

IMO it's a force of habit.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    If conditions allow the use of a laser you can't beat them . But don't forget how to use you sights and point and fire.
    If you spend time with a laser you will adapt to not even looking at the sites you eyes will go right to where the dot should be your on target right now.
    +1

There are definite advantages to having a laser. At night is the first example that comes to mind and when indoors, or if you find yourself in an awkward position (shooting with your weak or an injured hand, when lying down or from behind concealment) and you either don't have the ability or time to use your iron sights. With practice I find they are frequently quicker and easier to use than fixed sights because I watch the target and simply bringing the laser to it instead of trying to follow a target - especially a moving one - as well as trying to line up my sight with that target at the same time, causing my focus to constantly shift. Personally, I consider them one of the best things to come along for shooters since smokeless powder replaced BP. FWIW, even most former diehard anti laser self-defense/shooting pro's like Tom Gresham and Massad Ayoob now endorse the use of lasers. OTOH, you still need to maintain your ability to use your weapons iron sights since lasers (or any optic for that matter) DO break and batteries DO run down. There are also those times when you may just feel a laser isn't appropriate or necessary.

Finally, just because you have a laser on your gun doesn't mean you must use it. It's just another tool in the box that is there if you want it and I look at a laser in the same way I view my auto, home and medical insurance. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I used to feel that they were about as worthless as *insert derogatory statement here*, until I was at the range with a buddy that had one on a snubby..... After I saw him put five rounds inside of a half dollar sized group @ 25', I changed my mind.... Needless to say, I now have one on two of my carry snubs and will add um to the rest of my carry weapons over time.. My eyes are becoming pretty bad after years of computer use, so I welcome the ease of target acquisition while using um.

I'm not advocating relying completely only on their use over iron sights, but in low light conditions and at slightly longer distances, I don't see how anyone can argue against the results that these things provide. As always,YMMV.
    Tangle and Armey like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links