Well, the wait begins

Well, the wait begins

This is a discussion on Well, the wait begins within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I took my Form 1 to the Sheriffs Office and got it signed. Then I was reading the ATF page to find out the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well, the wait begins

Well, I took my Form 1 to the Sheriffs Office and got it signed. Then I was reading the ATF page to find out the address to send it to and whoops, I didn't double side the form

So I redid it and took it back to the Sheriff. He hasn't signed it yet. He was real quick with the first one but I think I ticked him off that I had messed up . I did apologize to the person that took it (same guy that I gave to the first one) and asked him to tell the Sheriff that I was really sorry for my mistake and that I know that his time is valuable and I was really sorry.

He hasn't signed it yet. Maybe next week . (I already hate the paperwork and I haven't even gotten my first "you did this wrong" letter from the ATF).

I hope that I can get it off next week sometime so I can wait the 3 to 6 months (yeah, they are really specific on the time it will take ). That is if there isn't a backlog, then it can be 6 to 9 (I'm thinking of inpregnating the first women that likes me so I have something to do while I'm waiting ).

I got the retracting stock in today. I can see how it fits/works. Can't put it on until I get the Form 1 back with the stamp. Even through I want to see how it looks and how it will work I won't do it. Even if I don't agree with the law, it is unfortunately, the law.

So, the pistol will maintain it's virginity as well the stock .

I'll keep all of you informed on how it goes. Will post when the Sheriff signs it and I send it off, when the check is cashed and what problems that I run into during the process so if anyone else decides to do the same they will have a heads up.

Oh, anyone know where to mail the forms and the check to first? The address at the top is only: BATF, Washington D.C. and then the zip. No street numbers or anything. Now, I know that the post office will know (or should know) where the ATF building is located, but with them you never know .

This is my first "trip" into this realm. I'm doing it for a couple of reasons: 1. It's cool to have an SBR that I 'made' myself (taking off the butt plate that has two pins and then putting on a stock and then putting in two pins really isn't "making" but by ATF rules it is), 2) I have the knowledge to help others on this board how to do it, what pitfalls to look out for, and what the ATF may return it for for correction if any, and 3) So when I build my AR-15 SBR I know how to do it right the first time.

Also, I know it's a great waste of money and time but the way I look at it, if I don't take the trip then I won't know how to get there or what I've missed.

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    This will be an interesting ''journey'' Wayne Hope it goes smooth, even if predictably drawn out!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Be glad you live in a state that allows you to have such a item.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rocky,

True. But I have to stay in Oregon and can't move to California (not that I would want to) or even to Washington. I'll have to move to a state that allows them if I ever move.

Well, it's the 28th, 11:49am and still nothing from the Sheriffs office. Now I'm starting to wonder if he was off or thinks that he's already signed one and that he won't sign the other. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow at 4:30pm I guess I'll give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

So, the pistol will maintain it's virginity as well the stock
    Most parents would put a behind that sentence! I guess gun guys are just funny..............

Good luck on the "journey", Wayne.

Senior Moderator
    Waiting is the hard part, tick, tick, tick....is it there yet?

Okay, got the paperwork back from the Sheriff this morning, put everything into a large envelope along with the tax check.

Had to mail it to WV so it should take about 4 days to get there and then I'll update when the check is cashed and then what I did wrong on the form, cards, etc.. (if anything) and how long it takes.

Also any questions or calls / visits etc.. that I may get from them.

Senior Moderator
    Well, you are making progress! Keep us posted.

Check cashed on September 18th. Will update when I either get the approval or what else happens.

Wayne

dont know how i didnt see this before but thansk for telling us your saga

1943 - 2009
    I'll have to move to a state that allows them if I ever move.
    Montana has no restrictions.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Bud,

Just figured that even though many people have gone through the process, I couldn't find a good time line of events.

Also, people that have done this seem to always have an air of mystery behind the process, how it works, etc.. Like it's some type of secret that is held by other those that have done so.

And I figured that this may be uncharted waters even by those who have just bought the SBR or SBS (and machinegun) who have done the Form 4 but not the Form 1 which is manufacturing.

Wayne

My last Form 1 came back in about 70 days door to door.

Thankfully going the LLC route I don't have to beg Sheriff Mommy.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Okay, an update:

I made a mistake, I forgot to do the citizenship form and they (ATF) were nice enough to send it to me to fill out. That was last week.

I went to the mailbox today after work and had another envelope from the ATF. My first thought was, "What did I forget to do now?".

Well, I opened it and I got the tax stamp. You know, I really didn't think it was an actual stamp but it is. Just like a postage stamp but the most expensive postage stamp that I've ever received! It actually states, "200 dollars" on it.

So, as soon as I saw that I had my tax stamp affixed, It took me less than 1 minute (not counting getting it out, getting the stock, sitting down) to "manufacture" my pistol into an SBR.

I will admit that I'm torn inside (emotions) about this. On one hand this is my first Class III weapon. It's something that I've never had before (liked to look at them in the magazines though) and I'm excited about having it.

On the other hand I kind of resent having to go through the paperwork, paying the $200 tax, and waiting, even if the wait was technically about a month.

I feel "free" knowing that I can have such weapons as this but at the same time "less free" for what I had to do in order to get such a weapon.

And now, I am sort of tetherd to it. If I ever move out of state then I have to ask permission to do so (move the SBR) and I also have to ensure that I don't move into a state that has made them illegal (like WA and CA, NY and Boston, Etc..). I have to do the forms also if I want to take it out of state just to go shooting elsewhere.

IIRC, now since I have permission to make it (and made it) into the SBR, it can never go back to being a pistol. I hope that I never have problems with it because if I read the law correctly I can't send it back to Vector for repair and that I have to find a gunsmith with a Class III license if it has to stay overnight (I may be wrong on this one, not sure).

So, if any Oregon residents ever decide to come shooting with me, I have another unique (to me) weapon in my inventory.

Now, to save up some money and build that SBR AR-15 before the 2008 elections

Wayne

IIRC, now since I have permission to make it (and made it) into the SBR, it can never go back to being a pistol.
    Incorrect. You can remove it from the registry and it reverts back to its former form. Machineguns cannot be, but SBRs can.

I hope that I never have problems with it because if I read the law correctly I can't send it back to Vector for repair and that I have to find a gunsmith with a Class III license if it has to stay overnight (I may be wrong on this one, not sure).
    Gunsmiths can take possession of papered guns for repair purposes. That said, Vector is a licensed manufacturer of stuff - and can receive for repair as well.

I'd also recommend getting the regular stock for it as well - I love my 51 with the collapsible, but it's a much better shooting gun with the fixed monster.

And be wary of scope mounts - the only one I've seen that holds up past a couple hundred rounds is the B&T.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links