Foot voting question / poll

This is a discussion on Foot voting question / poll within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been in NC for the past 36 years. Never thought about it back then, of course at that time we didn't even lock the doors....

View Poll Results: How important was the State gun laws in your decision where to live right now?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • The major driver in picking where I live.

16 20.78%
  • Significant driver but secondary to job, etc.

16 20.78%
  • A consideration but not a significant driver.

10 12.99%
  • Didnít think about it when deciding.

35 45.45%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foot voting question / poll

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Been in NC for the past 36 years. Never thought about it back then, of course at that time we didn't even lock the doors.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

2. Remove Ads

Never moved, Don't think I ever will ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

When I left New Orleans thirty years ago, the main thought on my mind was moving to an area that wasn't prone to flooding. Even then, heavy rains would flood some parts of the city and everyone said that if a hurricane hit just right Lake Ponchartrain would breach the levees. So while Katrina was tragic, it shouldn't have caught anyone by surprise.

I didn't start thinking about guns until I retired and I had the time and money to indulge a hobby. For me, the availability of guns isn't a deal breaker. I enjoy them, but I don't have to have one. If I lived in an area where nobody had guns, that would be fine with me. But, those areas don't exist. What exists are areas where criminals have guns and law abiding citizens aren't allowed to have them. That gives the criminals an unfair advantage and I'm not going to live in an area where the honest citizens allow themselves to be treated that way. If people think that giving up their guns and waiting in line to be the next victim somehow makes them safer, that's their business. But, I refuse to live like that.

I live in the city I was born in. I never thought about gun laws because Wisconsin is my home. Now that it has become even more gun friendly how can I complain?

I will admit, there are many states that I would never move to because of their draconian gun restrictions.

I moved to FLA because of the tax laws, coming from NJ the good gun laws were just an added bonus

MJK
    My job affords me the choice to reside in Illinois or Missouri. Guess which one I chose!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Gun laws and taxes were the reason for this last move.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    When I moved to Colorado 26 years ago gun laws never crossed my mind. Now however if I were looking to move state gun laws would be part of the process. I consider state gun laws when planning vacations. That said I still go to New York to visit the wife's family, I am thankful they live in Western NY.

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dave,
    You forgot another selection in the poll.
    Was born and raised in the state in which I reside.
    MY case/situaion.

"IF" I move in the future, IT will play heavily into the game, as well as how high are the taxes, housing costs, weather, etc,,,etc,,,,,,,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Been all over the world for Uncle Sam but Tennessee has always been home. So I can't really relate to the poll. I can say that I would not want to live in a non carry state.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I moved to Arizona with the family when I was 10, I didn't even think about it.

Born and raised in Maine, never planning to leave...at least not in this career span. So maybe when I'm 45 and am eligible to retire I'll move, and gun laws will be one of the major factors, but in all honesty I doubt I'll ever do more than visit other states.

Relocated for a promotion from Maine to Vermont. Was pleased to find out before the move that Vermont requires NOTHING to carry either concealed or open. Just gotta be 18 or older and not a felon etc....no permits required. Luvs me the Green Mountains, and a NH Non Resident license was just $100 good for five years and these are the two states I spend 98% of my time.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Dave,
    You forgot another selection in the poll.
    Was born and raised in the state in which I reside.
    Should have had that as an option.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    When we were looking for a place most recently, I told my wife I would not move to CA until they started electing Conservatives or Libertarians, or the U.S.A. banned all my semi-autos. Looked at Texas, Nevada and Arizona, ended up in Arizona. We both love it here, not just for the gun laws.

VIP Member
    Job and income came above all else. As it happens,I've lived in the same community for almost 40 years. We did not have
    CHLs or liberal car carry laws until relatively recently. Contrary to what most people assume, TX had fairly strict laws prohibiting
    most carry of handguns. Not even government officials could get a license. We were more like IL then where we are today.

The exception to the prohibition against carry was a "travel" exception, and travel wasn't well defined but was generally
    going out of your home county overnight.

Things have really changed. I think for the better, but I am certain many voters here disagree.

We need to keep in mind that for the most part our view is the minority viewpoint.

Here's the odd thing. When I moved to TX there was no such thing as a permit, but in IA, which most folks think just came to
    a new view, there was "may issue" for as long as I recall. I know in the late 60s I visited a gun store in IA with the intent of purchasing a handgun. I was told by the proprietor that I would need to go talk to the Sheriff. I never looked into to it more and don't know what the Sheriff might have said if I had in fact visited. The point, at that time IA was in a sense ahead of TX
    as far as liberal gun policies.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links