Foot voting question / poll

This is a discussion on Foot voting question / poll within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Background to question (and a good read): Foot Voting, Political Ignorance, and Constitutional Design by Ilya Somin :: SSRN Abstract: The strengths and weaknesses of ...

View Poll Results: How important was the State gun laws in your decision where to live right now?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • The major driver in picking where I live.

16 20.78%
  • Significant driver but secondary to job, etc.

16 20.78%
  • A consideration but not a significant driver.

10 12.99%
  • Didn’t think about it when deciding.

35 45.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foot voting question / poll

VIP Member

Background to question (and a good read):

Foot Voting, Political Ignorance, and Constitutional Design by Ilya Somin :: SSRN

Abstract:

The strengths and weaknesses of federalism have been debated for centuries. But one major possible advantage of building decentralization and limited government into a constitution has been largely ignored in the debate so far: its potential for reducing the costs of widespread political ignorance. The argument of this paper is simple, but has potentially important implications: Constitutional federalism enables citizens to “vote with their feet,” and foot voters have much stronger incentives to make well-informed decisions than more conventional ballot box voters. The informational advantage of foot voting over ballot box voting suggests that decentralized federalism can increase citizen welfare and democratic accountability relative to policymaking in a centralized unitary state.

Ballot box voters have strong incentives to be “rationally ignorant” about the candidates and policies they vote on because the chance that any one vote will have a decisive impact on an electoral outcome is vanishingly small. For the same reason, they also have little or no incentive to logically evaluate the information they do know. By contrast, “foot voters” choosing a jurisdiction in which to reside have much stronger incentives to acquire information and use it rationally; the decisions they make are individually decisive.

SNIP
    Question: How important was the State gun laws in your decision where to live right now?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    When I moved to Colorado 26 years ago gun laws never crossed my mind. Now however if I were looking to move state gun laws would be part of the process. I consider state gun laws when planning vacations. That said I still go to New York to visit the wife's family, I am thankful they live in Western NY.

VIP Member
    For me, RKBA laws were a go/no go decision maker/breaker when I retired. So, as to where I live now they were very important.

However, when I was still working, I went where the job took me -- happily or w/ regret on a number of accounts.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    When I last moved, and more recently when I attempted to relocate, I didn't own any guns nor had the idea even crossed my mind. If I were to move again, it would be a major consideration in whether or not I would entertain a move to an area.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Moved here for the job. My guns remained in storage for 15 years before I opened them up and put rounds thru them. But FL gunlaws are very liberal, and I apprciate that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

It will play a factor, gun laws are not the one factor on the move I will make. But if there is no way I can carry my personal protection then that eliminates my want to move to that state.

So vis pacem, para bellum
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Since I have lived in Texas most of my life it really hasn't been an issue.

If I move in the future, seriously not likely, it would be a consideration.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VERY....While the wife (PhD academic librarian)was looking for a job several interesting/well paying openings were rejected due to state/city where located ( such as library director at US Naval Academe which was looking for someone with her exact experiences). We are now on the Western Slope of Colorado, not the highest paying position she had been offered but we are both very happy to be here. When the wife would find an opening listed one of the first things I did was go to handgunlaw.us to check out the situation.

So YES the gun laws had a big part in it; even taking a position that paid less than other possibilities to be here.

You could triple my current salary and I still would NOT live in Illinois.

Major factor if I ever move.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    I used to live in Alameda CA back in the mid-80's and I loved it.

As much as I miss it, I have no intention of entering any state that would force me to disarm. I have great memories and that will have to do.

It's not a paranoia thing, it's a principle thing. Besides, there are plenty of other great places that don't strip you of your constitutional rights.

Was the main reason I chose Wyoming. My job would let me go anywhere in the country, but I would never again live where my rights are restricted to the level they are in about oh let's see 46 other states. Plus this is one of the mecas of BPCR shooting.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

i live in the same town i grew up in, so gun laws had nothing to do with it. BUT the wife works for the feds so she could transfer to just about any state, which we plan to do in a few years and i made it clear that it would have to be a pro-gun state

Though I have lived many places, about which I had no choice, I now live in the state in which I was born and where most of my family are located. However, if I were moving by choice, I would only relocate to a state with firearm friendly laws and climate. Since I did not choose this state, I did not answer the poll.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Born and bred Texan.

State gun laws are important. Some states in the Union are downright contemptible.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'd like to live in a state with good gun laws, but it might have to take a back seat to finding a job as a high school band director, and if this Army gig happens, there are only so many places with bands, and I'll go where they send me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links