9mm AR15 ????

This is a discussion on 9mm AR15 ???? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, I currently own one 9mm S&W 9c and a few shotguns. I REALLY want an AR for SHTF scenario and for shooting crap at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 9mm AR15 ????

9mm AR15 ????

Okay, I currently own one 9mm S&W 9c and a few shotguns.

I REALLY want an AR for SHTF scenario and for shooting crap at the range. But ammo cost is a concern and the idea of having one ammo to suit both my needs is appealing.

Who has a 9mm AR and why? Does my logic of universal ammo make sense and what are the advantages/disadvantages to 9mm AR. I would buy a complete rifle rather than building one.

Full disclosure I am a relative newbie to guns, did not grow up with them but love everything about guns and plan on having many more in the future.

Thanks for your advise/comments in advance.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Are you sure you want the 9mm in the AR platform vs. other high-capacity 9mm carbines?

I'm with you on thought process...not to eliminate all other calibers, but to have a staple caliber or two that I stockpile the most of...

Anyway, if you can afford an AR...why not? I personally want a keltec sub2000 in 9mm - they use pistol mags (Glock, and I think a couple others). I couldn't find 9mm when I was seriously looking...and I've have looked even harder if they made them that took XD mags.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Most Carnines would be fine such as Bushmaster 9MM Carbine 16" w/30 Rd Mag for example.

VIP Member
    I can't comment on the 9mm AR platforms, but I agree with the concept of a good pistol-round carbine.

I have a SUB-2000, and intend to pick up a .38/.357 lever action in the coming year.

The only reason I would do that is if it was suppressed and probably not even then. Don't particularly care for the idea of carrying the weight of a rifle (or storing/hiding/concealing the size of a rifle) that only fires pistol ammo - you don't gain much over what a pistol will do and can't get near what a rifle cartridge will do. For every $1k you spend on ammo, you only get an extra 1500 9mm rounds (checked an online bulk dealer). The recent ammo "shortage" showed that all ammo will be scarce, including 9mm and .223, so you can only count on what you have on hand. Buy a rifle in a rifle cartridge and learn how to shoot your pistol (1.5" groups @ 7 yds/all shots in scoring rings on a B27 @ 50 yds - offhand).

An AR platform in a 9mm is a big waste of money. There are a few much lower cost options that would do a better job. With the 9mm.
    Buy your AR if you like then over time stock up on .223 and 5.56 for it watch the sales.

I agree with all said. Go sub2000 and be happy. Watch nutnfancy video review on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    An AR platform in a 9mm is a big waste of money. There are a few much lower cost options that would do a better job. With the 9mm.
    Buy your AR if you like then over time stock up on .223 and 5.56 for it watch the sales.
    I agree. You could even try out a cheapo like the Hi Point carbine until you can afford to step up to a standard AR.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Standardizing on ammo is a great idea. I've been working toward that over the past few years, choosing the .357 and 20 guage. My wife likes 9mm, so I may have to give that some thought too.

I wish an H&K MP5 in semi only were available. Now that would be a great 9mm solution.

This may be a little off-topic, and I am not questioning the merit of one caliber over another. My thought has more to do with the effect on hearing when discharging a non-suppressed weapon within an enclosed space like a house. Without hearing protection, any round will be loud and potentially deafening, however, some calibers will be much worse than others. Isn't the .223 round in the upper range of "deafening"? My experience is that the .357 and .223 round are a couple of the most punishing rounds out there impacting unprotected ears.

I'd be really interested to know what other folks think concerning this topic since I don't think most non law-enforcement types have thought much about this when it comes to selecting a home defense weapon.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I agree. You could even try out a cheapo like the Hi Point carbine until you can afford to step up to a standard AR.
    That cheapo Hi point works petty well your not going to make a 500 meter kill with a 9mm anyway.
    If you just want to burn up the range add a 22 coversion kit to your AR and shoot 22's till the sun goes down.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I have Just Right Carbine in 9mm. AR style rifle that uses any 9mm Glock mag, 17, 19, 26, and 33. Well built, lots of features, and it shares all AR-15 furniture, forend, buttstock, grip, trigger, exc.

It's still just a 9mm round, but it does gain about 200 fps, and has a range of around 100-150 yards. Cost is about 550, which is more than the Keltec, but I feel that it's worth the extra 200 in the long run.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    This may be a little off-topic, and I am not questioning the merit of one caliber over another. My thought has more to do with the effect on hearing when discharging a non-suppressed weapon within an enclosed space like a house. Without hearing protection, any round will be loud and potentially deafening, however, some calibers will be much worse than others. Isn't the .223 round in the upper range of "deafening"? My experience is that the .357 and .223 round are a couple of the most punishing rounds out there impacting unprotected ears.

I'd be really interested to know what other folks think concerning this topic since I don't think most non law-enforcement types have thought much about this when it comes to selecting a home defense weapon.
    If you ever have to shoot your gun in the house, you are going to be in the freak out mode, and your hearing is the last thing that you will be thinking about. When your adrenaline is flowing, one of the bodys protection mechanisms that is known as "audio exclusion" will make that shot sound might weak compared to normal. Many people(cops included) have stated that the shots sounded like a mere "pop" when it was over, it was far from deafening.

Absent that, yeah, it will be loud enough to damage the hearing.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

A friend of mine has a 9mm AR platform rifle. It takes uzi mags I believe. Other than the first outing when it fired full auto instead of semi auto , it has been a pretty good gun. A local shop built it for him and subsequently fixed the full auto to make it legal again.

It is quite fun to shoot.

I have a sub 2000 and it does what I need it to do. No it isn't as nice as the AR platform gun, but it was a bunch cheaper and pretty accurate even with the factory sights.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links