Range report with new toy

This is a discussion on Range report with new toy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally had a chance to head off to the range and try out my new Ruger 77/357 rifle. The front and rear factory sights were ...

Thread: Range report with new toy

VIP Member

Range report with new toy

Finally had a chance to head off to the range and try out my new Ruger 77/357 rifle. The front and rear factory sights were replaced with a 1/32 front sight. The rear sight was windage and elevation adjustable, which has been swapped out for another sight that is elevation adjustable only. Both new sights are shorter in height than the factory sights.

I replaced the sights primarily for the front sight blade change over. I just can't see a 1/16" bead anymore, so the wider 1/32 was used. Accuracy clearly has not been affected.

First shot group at 35 yards with open sights. The bottom 4 shots were the first group. The rear sight was adjusted to move the group up, which is the second group of holes just to the left of center. Yes, there are 4 holes in that group to the left of center.

rifle.jpg

The rear sight was adjusted again to move the group slightly right. After some additional shots, a second target was set at 50 yards and the group opened up.
    50 yard.jpg

The best I can do with open sights anymore. I plan to add some type of reflex sight down the road. The rifle is capable of very good groups; unfortunately, it's owner may not be up to the task. The carbine should be excellent within 100 yards, and a skilled marksman can probably push that distance out to 150 yards, though I would not care to go beyond 100 with the .357 round. My intended range is inside 75 yards, and mostly inside 50 yards.

A bit about the rifle. The 77/357 has an all weather composite stock and a stainless barrel, receiver, and bolt. A 4 shot rotary magazine loads into the underside of the receiver. Same type of magazine as a 77/22, just larger. The fit and finishe are pretty good, but not great. There are some machining marks on the barrel near the front sight. Overall quality is very good though.

The magazine will hold both 357 and 38 catridges, though I don't recommend loading both at the same time. Initial loading was stiff for the first couple of magazine changes, but the bolt has worn in well and should continue to smooth out with more shooting. 38 cartridges are shorter, and a bit more stiff to move up the ramp into the chamber, but there were not feeding/cycling issues with the bolt or loading. 357 cartridge cases, which are longer, cycled equally well.

Overall, I am very pleased with the lightweight, all weather carbine, and it has become my favorite rifle. Perhaps even my choice for a good personal survival rifle. Certainly better in many respects to my Marlin .357 cowboy carbine, which is a great rifle too.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Looks and sounds like you had a good time. I like the rifle, post another picture so we can get a good look at it.

VIP Member
    Here is a link to the Ruger site with pictures and videos. Ruger 77/357

Links