Defensive Carry banner

Garand

2K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  DefConGun 
#1 ·
At the gun show today I saw something I simply couldn't live without. In the safe is another Garand. The furniture is nice and its 95% correct.

Now heres how you handle this. You sneak it in the safe and when the wife finally discovers it you tell her what she tells you. "That old thing? I've had that forever. You simply don't pay attention."

Just kidding.

My shooting buddy and I will need to clean her very soon! :danceban:

#4 ·
If it was only 999 it wouldn't be a garand.Someday I will buy a Garand to shoot,there is just something about former military rifles that just ooze coolness

#15 ·
^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^

Horray for you, Olduser, on your new rifle!!

#11 ·
Wow, that was in bad taste.

#6 ·
Love the Garands, a few years ago I had to make a run to Texas and since Anniston, Al just happened to be along the way I wound up buying three, took a while before my credit card recovered.

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

#7 ·
*sigh*

I don't have a Garand......yet. I would love to have one. Should have bought one a long time ago when I had the money and they were not up in the statosphere in price.

I did see one at my local gun shop, but I just couldn't swing the $800+ they wanted for the ol' girl. I did drool on it however for free.

Enjoy your Garand! I know I would.

#10 ·
Congrats on the Garand, they are fine rifles. There is a certain vintage and air of dignity to them, don't you think?

#12 ·
Some of you older gents know all about maggie's drawers. I qualified with the Garand in 1961. and a few years later the M-14 and then they screwed the pooch with the M-16. I shot service rifle matches with a M1A1 and now I intend to shoot this Garand as well. Nothing against modern rifles, but there is just something about steel and wood. Its from CMP and I bought it from the original CMP owner. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow and the docs for the benefit of those who may have never seen them.

#31 ·
As indicated by my earlier post, I am looking forward to the pics, but the docs are a unique treat as well. Please do post those as well if you are so inclined. That will be a neat treat for many of us. As with most threads, the Garand is on one of my many lists!

#20 ·
:worthless:

Reactions: BigJon10125
#22 ·
It was the Navy who adapted the M1 to 7.62 NATO in the mid 1960s. They also tried a chamber adapter that didn't work out too well by all reports as the adapter was capable of coming loose. Real Navy 7.62 NATO M1s are few and far between.

#24 ·
Now heres how you handle this. You sneak it in the safe and when the wife finally discovers it you tell her what she tells you. "That old thing? I've had that forever. You simply don't pay attention."
Congratulations on the Garand. Years ago, I picked up and shouldered my first Garand and didn't like it, but something began to wear on me though and I learned to appreciate them. I was initially wrong, they are great rifles. Regarding involvment by the wife, here's what happened when my CMP order arrived at my house:

I ordered my first Garand from CMP and had been tracking it. I hung pretty close to the house so I could be here to sign for it. I never got around to broaching the subject of the Garand purchase with my wife. She doesn't really care, so why stir the pot? Anyway I hear the FedEx guy coming down our long driveway, I make a beeline to the side door where they always stop and park. By the time I got to the side door......no FedEx guy?

I'm thinking WTH, and suddenly realize he's gone to the front door, probably rang the bell and my wife has already answered it. I sprint across the yard, surely breaking some Olympic record, in the hope of intercepting him before he gets to the front door, but I find my wife already standing there signing for the suspiciously long box leaning next to her.

Uh-oh.....I get that "look". The FedEx man suddenly becomes nervous, and tries to help me out by saying, "uhh maybe he ordered you some flowers." She gave the FedEx man that "look" and the last I saw that young fellow, he was sprinting toward his getaway truck. I envied his ability to depart at will.

I'm thinking okay, I guess it's time to break the bad news, but she quickly asked me, just how much did this cost ? I changed the subject and started babbling about the guns on "Band of Brothers", which is one of her favorite movies. However, I notice she's standing there pretending she's semi-interested in hearing me and seeing a Garand up close, but I noticed her eyes kept darting toward the packaging. The opened box is laying on the couch and we're standing behind the couch. Suddenly she see's some loose paperwork (invoices ?) lying around the box and she suddenly dives over the couch to get at it. I'm momentarily stunned at her cheetah-like response, though she gets hung up hanging over the the back of this tall couch.

She looked like a squirrel hung up in a tree, but I see her desperately clawing for the paperwork so she can see what I paid.

Suddenly I'm wishing there was a bayonet on the Garand I'm holding, not to stick my wife but to stick and retrieve the loose paperwork from her impending pounce. I was just able to reach over with my new rifle and catch the paperwork with the muzzle and sweep it farther away from her desperate fingers.

While she was still see-sawing over the top of the couch I ran around the side and ceremoniously captured the still-fluttering document as if it were a battle flag. The Garand is a great rifle, and even played an essential role in this little skirmish. Later on, the old rifle actually winked and smiled at me as if to say, "I'm at your service".

Anyway we wished we'd had a video of the antics and had a great laugh over the whole thing. I laughed more from relief, though I didn't sleep well that night because her laugh sounded a bit wicked. Once I discovered myself alive and unmutilated the next morning, and weakened with joy, I did tell her what it cost, and as I said she's fine with whatever gun stuff I do, but she does like playing the "mad" wife role.

She has said three pretty funny things about guns:

1. Sig Sauer. That's the face that the wife makes when she hears the name (sour).

2. Gun purchases are missed opportunities for jewelry purchases.

3. A man only needs two guns, a long one and a short one.

Actually we have a lot of fun, she's pro gun and CC's herself. I also bought a second Garand, she knew about it beforehand (I don't think the couch could take another CMP delivery like that)

#33 ·
LINK ?

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.