Lending a gun?

This is a discussion on Lending a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by All_Business She doesn't think she needs one ponch. In no way is she against guns, but she doesn't want to shell out ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lending a gun?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    She doesn't think she needs one ponch. In no way is she against guns, but she doesn't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a gun.

Hop you are right...we just went out to a fancy shmancy restaurant on Saturday, at 40 bucks a plate..that was about 1/5 the cost of a gun for her. Going to definitely start making some cuts in our spending.

Sadly, she already has a toothbrush for me, and my manhood.
    I think that 's a conversation for a different forum.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think that 's a conversation for a different forum.
    Wasn't a cry for help or anything. Just messin around, Hop.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

VIP Member
    Lending a gun is a bad idea, for the reasons stated in previous posts (Ramrods in particular).

Do you both live in the same state? If so you can do a private sale - you may want a bill of sale for proof of the transfer. Of course if you do that you will lose title to the gun and you can't "ask" for it back.

Things go south, including relationships. One of the last thing you want is for her to be in possession of the loaner if you break up, and then when you ask for it back she says "Oh, THAT gun...yeah, I sold/gave/lost it...

Or, as another poster suggested, just marry her. That will get rid of all of your problems!
    highonroof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmb View Post
    i was under the impresion that a gun registered to you is illegle to loan.......ccw class tols us that......
    I don't know what the law is in the OP's state but to address your statement for MI, that is false. A CPL holder in MI can be in possession of any legal, registered pistol with permission from the owner. Without a CPL in MI, it is illegal to be in possession of any pistol that is not registered to you.

OP, if you do decide to loan a gun to your lady friend (which I strongly discourage for the reasons previously listed) definitely make sure you are within the law while doing so.

RamRod............kinda' off the subject but not really......In the last 3 years I have bought my 5 grandchildren their first .22 rifles. The FFL sorta remembers me and says "whatcha' doin" with all these .22's" ??? Gift's for the grandchildren I say. "Nothing wrong with that" he says. Is he wrong ??????? Am I a law breaker ??????

Just move in!

VIP Member
    Sure, lend her the Keltec.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Sell it to her for a dollar (then buy her a Coke) and just do the transfer at an FFL. She's safe, you're not liable.

At first I was thinking face to face was alright for handguns because that's how I took possession of my firearms from my parents (I'm a PA resident) when I was old enough, but then I remembered that it only applied to families, or something like that.
    Last edited by tubadude; February 21st, 2012 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspinner View Post
    RamRod............kinda' off the subject but not really......In the last 3 years I have bought my 5 grandchildren their first .22 rifles. The FFL sorta remembers me and says "whatcha' doin" with all these .22's" ??? Gift's for the grandchildren I say. "Nothing wrong with that" he says. Is he wrong ??????? Am I a law breaker ??????
    rules from state to state vary Florida is very reserved on gun laws as long as it is in the possession of the parents and neither of them is a felon

And as to the girlfriend would you loan her out to a motorcycle gang NO same with a gun. You are responsible for anything that happens with that gun, if you are going to give it to her you need to do a transfer letter both sign both have copies with copies of pa drivers license. Pa is like florida in this regard no registration

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I agree with fireman have her move in to your place, that'll save some money and she's got you babe...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    We have only been dating about 8 months, but she is a childhood friend so I've known her for awhile, and care about her a great deal

Go ahead and marry her. She won't need a gun. She'll have you.
    ^^^ +1
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by dcmb View Post
    i was under the impresion that a gun registered to you is illegle to loan.......ccw class tols us that......
    Rifles and shotguns are loanable to anyone that is allowed to pocess in Michigan. You can loan a handgun to someone if they have a Concealed Pistol License in Michigan. I wouldn't do it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Lawyers always seek the deepest pockets. If you lend your GF a gun and she uses it, you may be confident that you will lose a heck of a lot of money when the lawyers come after you. (You don't have to be guilty of anything or have broken any law; it is simply about the money.)

Give or sell her a gun, with the legal paperwork showing that she now owns the gun, not you.
    Olduser likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Lots of speculation in this thread.

My feeling is this...

LOAN her the gun. Loan her one that you don't ever expect to see again. That way if you don't, no big deal.

If it is legal for you to loan it to her, then don't worry about the hype. Its just a piece of personal property that you loaned her and if it does happen to save her life if she has to use it, then it has done its job.

When you loan it to her, be sure that she is competent with it, so some training is in order here. It would be irresponsible of you to not ensure that she can safely handle it. You need to also coach her on when to or not to use it and make sure that is knows the lethal force laws where you live.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Personally, I wouldn't loan anyone a gun except my wife in the event her's was broken. You're better off lending them your dog because it can provide a reasonable degree of protection, it can't be easily used to commit a felony, most likely won't be stolen, and it can find its own way home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links