Lending a gun?

Lending a gun?

This is a discussion on Lending a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My girlfriend lives in a crappy neighborhood and she doesn't own a gun. I want to buy her a gun, but as of right now, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lending a gun?

Lending a gun?

My girlfriend lives in a crappy neighborhood and she doesn't own a gun. I want to buy her a gun, but as of right now, my financial situation wont allow me to comfortably purchase a gun. Could I leave one of my guns, that she has trained with before, at her house while im not there. We have only been dating about 8 months, but she is a childhood friend so I've known her for awhile, and care about her a great deal.

Shes responsible, knowledgeable, and comfortable with most bottom feeders...not so much wheelies. I dont really want to transfer a gun, I'd rather just leave one there for her to use if needed until I get her one of her own. Any questions, comments, or concerns are greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

I'm not in favor of lending a gun. If something happens to it (gets stolen, she loses it) it could end up in the wrong hands with your name on it. Why can't she buy her own gun?
    Diddle likes this.

VIP Member
    I am not in favor of lending a gun, or of giving a handgun as a gift; not the same as handing someone the money and letting them go and buy one.

So much crazy stuff happens to innocent people I would not give her the gun except as a "sale" handled through an FFL.

Yup, that will cost you bucks, even if you sell it for only 1 dollar.

I know it is tough when money is tight as it always is for most folks, and you want to protect your girl, but there are too many potential hazards which will flow back to you if something happens. For now, buy her pepper. Both of you save your bucks.

My wife and I eat out much more than we should (we are retired people and lots of times neither of us feels like cooking). Dang--just running to McD or getting a sandwich, throw in a couple of colas, and there goes 10 -12 bucks. Go to a sit down place and it is almost impossible to leave for less than 20-30.

With some extra self discipline in the money department and a bit of extra tight control on your finances, you should be able to save up enough for a good second hand revolver--- and purchase it from a licensed dealer.

I'm not saying you guys are spend thrifts, and please don't misunderstand. I am saying that you will be better off giving up some of the stuff we don't think about-- -snacks when you go to a movie for example-- and putting that money into a box.
    Before you know it you'll have the money you need.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Leave a toothbrush as well.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

She doesn't think she needs one ponch. In no way is she against guns, but she doesn't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a gun.

Hop you are right...we just went out to a fancy shmancy restaurant on Saturday, at 40 bucks a plate..that was about 1/5 the cost of a gun for her. Going to definitely start making some cuts in our spending.

Sadly, she already has a toothbrush for me, and my manhood.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

VIP Member
    I also draw the line at loaning out guns. If they really needed it, I'd transfer it to their name through a bill of sale if in the same state, or through an FFL otherwise.

BTW, I'm running a special today on free advice - Give/loan a gun to a girlfriend of 8 months; nope - no way, never.

VIP Member
    While lending one is an option, it definitely isn't the best one. If there is one of your current guns that she really likes and shoots well, why not just sell it to her as Hopyard mentioned. $1.00 and do a transfer through a FFL. Transfer fee is going to run you maybe $25.-30.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

We have only been dating about 8 months, but she is a childhood friend so I've known her for awhile, and care about her a great deal

Go ahead and marry her. She won't need a gun. She'll have you.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    She doesn't think she needs one ponch. In no way is she against guns, but she doesn't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a gun.

If she doesn't think she needs one don't give her one. Why take the risk if she doesn't want it? You can lead a horse to water, etc.

sgb
    If she doesn't think she needs one then she doesn't.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I would like to say bad idea, but if I were in that position I probably would.

Get a g/f that already has guns, this should be in your list of prescreenings.

1. send inventory of guns
    2. send picture of boat
    3. make and model of pickup

I'm kidding,
    Armey likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I also draw the line at loaning out guns. If they really needed it, I'd transfer it to their name through a bill of sale if in the same state, or through an FFL otherwise.

BTW, I'm running a special today on free advice - Give/loan a gun to a girlfriend of 8 months; nope - no way, never.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While lending one is an option, it definitely isn't the best one. If there is one of your current guns that she really likes and shoots well, why not just sell it to her as Hopyard mentioned. $1.00 and do a transfer through a FFL. Transfer fee is going to run you maybe $25.-30.

^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't loan a long gun to a relative if they asked, let alone a pistol.

Do as has been suggested, and sell it to her for nothing.
    IDK the laws in PA, but in MI, all she would have to do is go to the local PD, get a pistol purchase permit, the buyer & seller fill it out,and the buyer then returns the pistol purchase permit, no FFL even necessary.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

i was under the impresion that a gun registered to you is illegle to loan.......ccw class tols us that......

Your gun...out of your hands is still ultimately YOUR responsibility. I think most replies have already hinted at this. Loaning or "lending" a gun of any sort demands responsibility. Trust is one thing, responsibility is another. Selling a pistol to a friend is yet another. Don't let me get started about loopholes in the law since we are all la abiding citizens here. Friends are friends....mainly you should be able to count on them not to shoot you in the back at the range. Beyond that..........? Would you loan your only vehicle to someone who's going to a party? You're the owner of the vehicle and still responsible if a drunk driver kills someone while behind the wheel of your car. If you're not there when something bad happens with your personal belongings....you'll be found soon enough and asked for answers you may not be able to provide. Jail time usually comes shortly after that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links