Long guns do not really interest me.....

This is a discussion on Long guns do not really interest me..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You guys bring up a lot of good points. I might feel different if I was a hunter or had land I could shoot difficult ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Long guns do not really interest me.....

You guys bring up a lot of good points. I might feel different if I was a hunter or had land I could shoot difficult distances on. I grew up in the city and in a anti-gun family so I never really got to experience any shooting sports as kid.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by genauwiedu View Post
    I am betting that I am in the minority, but anyone else on here just not that crazy about long guns? I've shot a good number of very nice ones (friends and family owned) and while I got a kick out of it, it was short lived. Friends are always lusting after new AR parts or tactical shotguns and I haven't come across any that just scream "take me home" I always end up leaving with a new pistol. Shooting semi-auto .22 rifle especially is an absolute snooze fest for me. Am I nuts?
    You want an opinion?

You are NUTS!

Seriously, to each their own... I like handguns and long guns...shotguns don't do it for me.

I enjoy shooting my revolvers, pistols, rifles and shotguns. Each provide unique challenges and entertainment value. My rifles however, provide me with the most pleasure. I suppose the fact that a rifle was the first gun I owned and shot may have influenced my feelings.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

yep. If I can't carry it IWB and bond with the gun for at least 24 hours, I have no interest. Every time I save for a rifle.......I end up spending it on a pistol. Concealed carry is the only reason I own firearms at all, so long guns just not that important to me.
    genauwiedu likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I feel the same way. I love to shoot handguns, but not rifles. Maybe because I don't hunt. If I had the land to shoot a rifle on instead of having to drive a long ways and fight the crowds at the nearest rifle range I would feel much different.
    Same for me, if I lived in the country I'd have a few more long guns

Quote Originally Posted by genauwiedu View Post
    I am betting that I am in the minority, but anyone else on here just not that crazy about long guns? I've shot a good number of very nice ones (friends and family owned) and while I got a kick out of it, it was short lived. Friends are always lusting after new AR parts or tactical shotguns and I haven't come across any that just scream "take me home" I always end up leaving with a new pistol. Shooting semi-auto .22 rifle especially is an absolute snooze fest for me. Am I nuts?
    To each his (or her) own.
    To me things are in a sort of balance. Short range weapons almost dictate long range weapons. Otherwise I'd be living in a box that I know doesn't exist. Tools are tools. You may never feel what it's like to hammer a 16D nail home with a good hammer. Likewise.....you may never build a house faster with a hammer than nail gun. The end product will tell everyone about you and what you believe in.

I just love all guns. Shotguns, rifles, hand guns they are all fun to shoot. What I like is that they are all different. Not the same type of shooting over and over.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Handguns are fun, rifles are a tool, shotguns put food on the table, and muzzleloaders, well now they are something special.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I like pistols,but, I believe it is smart to own a .22 rifle, a .223 rifle and a shotgun. Pistols are easy to conceal and they appeal to me more than long guns but they do have their limitations for most of us. If you need to hunt in a breakdown of society,a rifle or shotgun is the way to go. Also there are very few things more intimidating than a shotgun at close range.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I love pistols. You guys that talk about 100 yards. Its easy with a 44 mag. Its easy with a nice 1911. The pistol is a craft.

That being said, I enjoy rifles to. Not as much, but the passion is still there. Just not as strong as the Handgun. I guess Im a gun nut.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I like pistols more. Living in Connecticut they are much more practical and far more indoor ranges for year round shooting. I also think there is a much higher degree of skill needed to accurately shoot handguns. I do own one long gun. An AK in 5.56. I typically shoot it once a year to make sure I can quickly put 30 out of 30 into zombie sized targets at 100 yards.

I think (AGE) has alot to do with guys liking handguns not long guns. when i was a kid I started with a BB gun (long)
    Started hunting around 11 & killed my first deer at 12, I was HOOKED. Though I started shooting handguns at a ealy age also 12/13 Y/O or sooner, I love all firearms To each his own ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

One way to approach this requires a trip to the country or a gun range with free rules.

1. Set up any kind of target you like, at around 30 - 50 feet.
    2. Shoot the target with your handgun of choice.
    3. Shoot it again with a 12 ga. shotgun.

You be the judge.

Last time I did this, we set up a cardboard box downrange. Put a bullseye on it, shot at it with .380, 9mm, .38, .357, and .45. Put some nice holes in it.

Then we tried a Mossberg pump. First shot flattened the box and sent it 12 feet into the air. It came down a mangled mess.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I'm not big on rifles, or tactical anything, but there are some beautiful shotguns out there. You can never have too many handguns though.

I used to be into black guns years ago but sold them all and now into hunting bolt action rifles. Never get tired of the few pistols I have. I like 30.06 and 270 the most but have a wonderful 6.5x55 sporty Mauser. I have a few friends that have no pistols but strong into hunting shotguns and rifles. The pistols just don't interest them out here in the country. Too many deer and coyotes to look after.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links