Long guns do not really interest me.....

This is a discussion on Long guns do not really interest me..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I started out in my teens shooting BB guns competitively. Until I was in my mid 20's I didn't even own a handgun, only rifles ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Long guns do not really interest me.....

I started out in my teens shooting BB guns competitively. Until I was in my mid 20's I didn't even own a handgun, only rifles and shotguns. Not until about 10 years ago did I start shooting handguns regularly.

I still like shooting all of them, long guns, shot guns and pistols. I don't shoot rifles as much as handguns, but there is just something about a long gun I just can't give up. I don't have any of the scary black "assault" rifles, as I have never seen the need to put more rounds down range as opposed to making the rounds count.

Reloading for the long guns adds another element to it. For instance, I got my son an H&R 243 this year and developed some loads for it. When I was done, with factory open sights I had a round that I could put 2 shots through the same hole at 50 yds. If you don't have a long range rifle range to shoot at one can make due in their back yard. I have Beeman break over air rifle that will shoot 1/4 inch or tighter groups at about 20 yds. The gun was less than 200 bucks I think.

Rifles offer the ability to be slow and methodical about the practice of shooting. When you are trying to put rounds through the same hole or as close as you can get them, you have to focus on everything. Sight picture, breathing, trigger control the whole works. But when you do everything right, it is very satisfying to know you can be that accurate.

If rifles aren't for you then that is fine. One day you may catch the fever and change your mind, maybe not, nothing wrong with it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I got into handguns much later than long guns. To me, handguns are tools as I only use them for CCW or SD/HD.

I love shooting my bolt action rifles and making up loads for them. I have found you can make a moderately priced rifle, say around $600-700, shoot like one costing much more by working up the proper load for it. It's a very satisfying feeling. I've gotten away from shotgunning as of late, used to do it quite a bit, still have a couple, one for HD and one general purpose for hunting.
    NRA Life Member

I enjoy rifle, shotgun, and pistol all. I think how much you enjoy any of those has a lot less to do with the gun and more with to do with your access to a shooting facility tailored to them.

If you don't have at least a 100 yards, rifle is gets boring. If you have a good scope you need even more distance to actually enjoy it.

Likewise, find shooting outdoors at at water bottles with a rifle to be a lot more fun than shooting indoor with a pistol. If I had steel targets for outdoor pistol, I might might suddenly find it a lot more fun.

Shotgun might not be any fun shooting paper targets at a 50 yard range, but it is a lot of fun shooting clays in the air.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Well, my first shot from a long gun other than my BB gun was at a Dove from my single shot .410 when I was 9. A few years after that my Charles Daily over/under .20 gauge was all I shot at dove and quail until I was 20. Also, I had a few 22s for rabbits, coyotes and other small stuff. At 12 my dad bought me a Remington 700 BDL 30.06 with a 3x9 Redfield scope for the big 4 legged stuff. Also, at 13 I acquired a Browning A5 with a 30 inch barrel and a full choke for Ducks and Geese. Growing up I never went to school on September 1, me and dad were too busy blasting the dove.... Mom got over it.
    I never missed any hunting season growing up, except turkey. I still to this day have never hunted turkey.
    We also had our share of handguns. 22s .357s and dad had a colt 1911.

As you can tell I love long guns as much as my handguns if not more. Now I own guns from .22 pistols to shotguns to long guns that I can shoot accurately at 600 to 700 yards........ Thanks for the thread!
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Handguns are new to me, so far as taking them seriously. They are my latest passion, and I wonder why I never regarded them as more than toys. You had a handgun to occupy yourself at the range while the rifles were cooling down.

Rifles, on the other hand.........

My 300 H&H is my darling. Had her built about 12 years ago. And Lord have mercy, does she shoot. Glad I stocked up on brass. My 30-06, 25-06, and 22-250 are as fine a setup as I could ask. All I am missing is a 270, a 338-06, and a 375 H&H. And, of course, permission from The Boss to get it all.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Handguns are new to me, so far as taking them seriously. They are my latest passion, and I wonder why I never regarded them as more than toys. You had a handgun to occupy yourself at the range while the rifles were cooling down.

Rifles, on the other hand.........

My 300 H&H is my darling. Had her built about 12 years ago. And Lord have mercy, does she shoot. Glad I stocked up on brass. My 30-06, 25-06, and 22-250 are as fine a setup as I could ask. All I am missing is a 270, a 338-06, and a 375 H&H. And, of course, permission from The Boss to get it all.
    Don't forget the 7mm or 300 rem ultra mags. I have the 7mm and love it! In my opinion, they are great platforms.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

My handguns don't get shot that much lately. Love shooting my 100 year old Swede and shooting clays with my son!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links