Long guns do not really interest me.....

This is a discussion on Long guns do not really interest me..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am betting that I am in the minority, but anyone else on here just not that crazy about long guns? I've shot a good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Long guns do not really interest me.....

I am betting that I am in the minority, but anyone else on here just not that crazy about long guns? I've shot a good number of very nice ones (friends and family owned) and while I got a kick out of it, it was short lived. Friends are always lusting after new AR parts or tactical shotguns and I haven't come across any that just scream "take me home" I always end up leaving with a new pistol. Shooting semi-auto .22 rifle especially is an absolute snooze fest for me. Am I nuts?

It's just personal preference. I love owning handguns and really enjoy shooting them as well but love to shoot rifles best of all.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    If I can get on a bench rest, I can make a gallon jug filled with water explode from over a quarter-mile away (600 yards).
    Personally, I think that pretty cool and I'm just an average shot.
    Jusy my 2 cents.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Love my Savage 10FP w/MacMillan stock and Rem700SP. For me much more fun than handguns. We have our land and we as a family (wife and son) will set up target s for each other at unkown distances (200-1000 yards;neighbors land is next to mine and we let each other shoot across). Very challenging.

I confess a strong attraction to handguns, but that might be due to my upbringing (handguns were used just by criminals and cops).

But when you want - or need - to reach out and touch something at 100 yards or more, the rifle is the ticket.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sporting clays, skeet, trap, and five stand are my four standard food groups... just sayin' Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I too don't get passionate about long guns. I've owned a shotgun or two over the years and have a couple of .22's for plinking but they generally stay in the gun safe.

I could fondle a hand gun all day though.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    thats how I feel about shot guns..... but I love them rifles

I feel the same way. I love to shoot handguns, but not rifles. Maybe because I don't hunt. If I had the land to shoot a rifle on instead of having to drive a long ways and fight the crowds at the nearest rifle range I would feel much different.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Hunting rifles bore me. I've got a real thing for military rifles, however. I shoot my Mosin Nagant until I run out of ammo or until I can hear the shellac sizzling through my earplugs.

My purchases this year will pretty much be limited to my Glock 19 and my AR build over the summer, but I'd like to set up something that is capable of long distances. Mostly because I think its awesome to be able to shoot something a half mile away from you. Granted, I'd need to learn how to shoot like that first.

Even with the rifles, I have so much fun with my G19 that it seems like I blow through 300 rounds in no time.

I came to rifles first, in the Army. Then handguns, mostly as a civilian. Shotguns only in the last few years. Out of all of them, I think I like shotguns the most - hitting a moving target (trap) is a lot of fun any very challenging. Shooting at static targets on the pistol or rifle range gets boring to me really quickly. Mostly I go to the pistol range to function check a new handgun or ammo, and just to stay in practice. If I want to have fun, I head to the trap field.
    suntzu likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Same. It is so easy to hit using an AR with an EOTech or similar optic. Becoming proficient with a pistol is much more fun/useful. I'm willing to bet I'm also in the minority in thinking that a long gun is total overkill in a home defense situation
    genauwiedu likes this.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Follow up on my post. I was thinking the other reason I love my long guns is the process. From the exacting process of weighing the powder, to making the entire round to the calculations needed to make the shot. Much different than hand loading 200 rounds of 9 mm in one night and then blasting away a target at 20 yards the next morning in 15 minutes. And I forgot about shotguns. I love trap.

VIP Member
    Not saying I hate shot guns they don't have the same place in my heart as a nice rifle or hand gun. I like to bird hunt with the 870 wingmaster.

I like shooting pretty much anything. My least favorite is shot guns. I took the 30-06 out this weekend and was plinking steel at 200+ yards with a decent cross wind. Unfortunately the farthest I can get is about 220 at that range. I enjoy shooting handguns and I keep myself sharp in my skills just in case I actually have to use them but to me long shots are the most enjoyable. Taking out a ground hog at 300 yards or even going to the local range with steel out to 1000 yards. To me it's just awesome that these guns can accurately hit at half a mile +. That and going out and blasting something withe one of the depts full auto AR's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links