i want a rifle!!!!!

This is a discussion on i want a rifle!!!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I want another rifle that is... I am working on rounding out my collection, at this point. Eventually it will be to have 10+ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: i want a rifle!!!!!

i want a rifle!!!!!

Well I want another rifle that is...

I am working on rounding out my collection, at this point. Eventually it will be to have 10+ of every style and kind of gun However at this point I am interested in a rifle that need not be high capacity but can be used to reach out and touch something should the need ever arise. I am looking for suggestions and your rationale.

The things I want: something I could mount a scope on. Must hold multiple rounds, I know bolt actions don't have a lot of capacity, and that is ok, just no single rounders. I'm stating my budget as $1000 or less. That is for the rifle only. I can justify that price to Mrs BigJon and then justify spending just as much or more on a scope and any other accessories.

Another question is what round do I want it chambered for? I believe I want something akin to either a remington 700 style bolt action, or an M1a. My concern is ammo performance. What's your vote and why and please let me know why. .30-06, 7mm mag, .308? I would like to be able to hit an object at 600+ yds, IF I do my part.

Thanks for your input and opinions.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Savage 10FP or Rem700. Have both. Savage has come a long way and IMO beats my Remington now. People either love or hate the accu-trigger. I like it. I hit MOA easily past 600. Get a good stock with either. I have a MacMillan on my Savage

Thanks Suntzu.

I have been looking at both of those specifically and dont want to be (too cheap). I know i could pay a lot more and get a really really nice gun, but it is not what I am looking for. As I do not hunt it will be a target, fun and in case of emergency gun.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have exactly what you need and it's for sale or trade a remington model 700 chambered in 300 winmag will shoot 600 yards you buy a scope I like burris fullfiled 2 clear bright optics IMHO much better than leuopold and less money but for a 600 yard shoot may want to spend extra money on a swarvoski scope
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I just saw a Sporterized version of a 30-40 Krag that was just plain gorgeous for 400 bucks. You get something different, well within budget but not a 600 yard gun. You could find a nice Mauser K-98 that would be well within your budget and that would be a 600 yard gun. Another something different would be a Swiss K-31, a straight pull bolt action that is every bit as smooth as the 30-40 Krag. The k-31 will reach out 600 yards or more (as the Mauser would). These 3 choices would leave you plenty of money left in your budget to get a scope and ammo.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Two years ago, I picked up a Sako A-7 on sale at Bass Pro. Chambered in 25-06 I added a Nikon 3-9 x 40
    I am not a great rifle shot, I consider myself average, but if I can get on a bench, I can do 1 gallon jugs filled with water to 600yds.
    Don't know if you are stuck on a .30 cal or not...just offering another line of thought.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Look at the surplus Russian Mosin-Nagant 91/30.

I bought one last September for less than $130. Caliber 7.62 x 54r, 5-shot, bolt action. Can be adapted to house a scope.

Rugged, dependable, easy to opperate and ammo is plentiful. I like the one I have. Made at the Izhevsk arsenal in 1942.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Look at the surplus Russian Mosin-Nagant 91/30.

I bought one last September for less than $130. Caliber 7.62 x 54r, 5-shot, bolt action. Can be adapted to house a scope.

Rugged, dependable, easy to opperate and ammo is plentiful. I like the one I have. Made at the Izhevsk arsenal in 1942.
    I have a Mosin and love it for different reasons. But I wouldn't call it a 600 yd + rifle

I dont about that ive pegged targets out to 900 yards with my mosin.

Distinguished Member
    My Savage 110 in 270, I have a 3x9 44mm scope on it. My only wish is it had iron sites. But the scope works great as is and i have about 350 bucks in everything. I also a have a fine swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 which is much like a 243.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Lots of options but for under $1,000 the M1a is out ( with scope ) The Rem 700 are nice and you can upgrade them with triggers, and barrels and fancy stocks. Can even get a detachable mag kit. But for the money look at the Tikkas. They are bolt action with mag and have a range of calibers. 600 yards is not that far. so any caliber you like would be fine. like the 308.

For a an old battle riffle you got options, but to add the scope the price goes up. 1903 in 30.06, Enfield no 4, Nagants, but for the rifle that won WWII was the Garand. 8 rounds of 30.06 600 plus yards iron sites no problem. $1,000 or less bucks, unless you get a M1D or something with a fancy history.
    DefConGun likes this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Tikkas are good. Another good option. Forgot about those LOL. Howa's are good. Wife has one. And a genlteman mentioned Sako. I think bang for the buck Savage all the way these days though.

I don't hunt but wanted a rifle just in case I needed something for longer range. Sevral years ago I bought a SKS for less than a 100.00. I love that old gun, it shoots well and now I see the same gun for almost four times the price even at gun shows. One store near my home had one for 450.00. I am glad I bought the one I have.

VIP Member
    Just about every modern bolt action on the market today is capable of ringing steel at 600 yds. I suggest Remington. Howa if you want a bargain. The Howa rifle is a ton of gun for the money and CDNN has them on sale right now for around $350.

Personally I can't stand the clunkiness of Savage but many like them.

OP you just need to shop around a bit.

As to caliber and cartridge: Any standard military (or former) cartridge or their descendants should do. 30-06, 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser, .308, .270, .280, .243, 7mm-08 or 260. Also anything based on a belted magnum should do the trick too.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

You live in Nazi Kalifornia no 50 no hi cap go with the 3006 either Remington 700 or cmp m1 or Springfield 03 should be able to get a good sporterized one. Have whatever you buy boar scoped make sure the barrel is good or the price will allow you to have it worked on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links