Defensive Carry banner

I'm now a Glock Armorer. Now what?

21K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  rmilchman 
#1 ·
So as of yesterday I am a Glock Armorer and live in Central NJ (Mercer County). I'm trying to decide if I do anything with it, or just consider the $195 I spent on the class as knowledge into how my G19 works and how to maintain / repair it.

#4 ·
My question is even more basic then your reply. Do I even want to do anything with it and if so, how would I go about finding any customers and do I want people I don't know bringing a firearm into my home. I'm 15 minutes from Trenton and don't want someone showing up for repairs or an attempted to acquire anything from my home.

I had thought about contacting my local PD's, and offer my service as free labor allowing them to offload the work and have another office available for real police work, but not sure how that would go over.

#9 ·
As any business person will tell you, "free" is rarely a route to financial success. I doubt any department would want just any one working on duty guns, anyway.

Another consideration is liability. I don't mean liability if some one uses a gun you worked on to commit a crime. I mean, what if Joe Spud has you work on his gun, then claims you did something wrong and it "went off all by itself"? Even a bogus claim can cost big $$. Keep that in mind.

#7 ·
So, what do you WANT to do with it? Put out a shingle and make a few bucks on the side? Go for it.

Honestly, though, in a group of modern shooters, if you asked who was a Glock Armorer, the response would likely be, "Who isn't?"

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: OD*
#18 ·
Now you go for "advanced Glock armorer" and stand in the soup & bread line right behind glockrocker. :biggrin2:

JK/JK

Seriously - Now you become a Hi-Point Armorer and get 140 guns per day to work on.

Reactions: volky
#21 ·
I never could understand why one would need to be a Glock armorer. But to each his own. My sig works fine and I never even been to a school for it.:wave:

Reactions: Azchief
#24 ·
So as of yesterday I am a Glock Armorer and live in Central NJ (Mercer County). I'm trying to decide if I do anything with it, or just consider the $195 I spent on the class as knowledge into how my G19 works and how to maintain / repair it.
This...:yup:

#28 ·
I got my armorer course since I own 4 glocks and wanted to get spare parts for them all to last the rest of my lifetime, and know the ins/outs of the gun
I'm also now an armorer for our department

#32 ·
Did you hafta buy your own or was it included in the $195. ?

I always wondered....How do you repair a gun while wearing something like this anyway? :confused:

On a serious note I think that any time you get any type of worthwhile knowledge under your belt it's a valuable asset.

Reactions: volky
#33 ·
Some departments require that to maintain their firearms you must have attended and passed the course put on by the Company.But ever since the Internet got big and download speeds got really fast,and sites like youtube sprung up,you can learn just about anything you want just by searching the web,Glocks are probably the easiest guns to work on,few moving parts,and the parts are fairly inexpensive.Some guns you don't even want to open up unless you know what your doing,nothing worse than opening up any machinery and have a part fly out that immediately has you trying to figure out where the heck it came from

Reactions: Azchief
#37 ·
I thought Glocks didn't break? Why woould you need all the parts?:smile:
My friend is going to a course. Just for knowledge and to talk to other armorers and their knowledge off other firearms.

#42 ·
For non-LEO join GSSF, which allows you take the course as non-LEO. Pay $195 take the course, which is 1 day 8 hours and take the test. As you go through the course the instructor points out questions on the test. I think re-sellers get a special certificate that allows them to take the course.

#44 ·
Right now, probably not much.

But now that you fully understand the parts you can get confident in how they work (or more importantly why they don't work) in various situations. Too, you'll begin to understand why all the mall ninjas Glocks no longer function as designed, after they have watched a YOU TUBE video on how to disassemble their Glocks.

You can get parts cheap and practice tricking out stuff now with stock parts too!

#47 ·
A glock armorer certificate is a personal achievement but does not make you a gunsmith. Unless you are either an 01 or 07 FFL, you can't do ANY gun smithing except for personal use, not even on a casual basis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.