Just wanting some info....

This is a discussion on Just wanting some info.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a Colt Mark IV Gov't Model series 70 in .38 Super Auto, serial is 70 S096xx, its in about 95-98% condition. Can anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wanting some info....

Just wanting some info....

I've got a Colt Mark IV Gov't Model series 70 in .38 Super Auto, serial is 70 S096xx, its in about 95-98% condition. Can anyone tell me more more about it than I can find in general Internet searches manufacture dates, rarity, value, etc? Thanks.
    Last edited by Crowbait; February 24th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
    ďA free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.Ē --George Washington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It has no value in that caliber, but I'll take it off your hands for its scrap value.

I think I'd keep my pinkies wrapped tightly around it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It has no value in that caliber, but I'll take it off your hands for its scrap value.

I think I'd keep my pinkies wrapped tightly around it.
    Lol. Thanks.
    ďA free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.Ē --George Washington

Seriously? No one knows anything about this gun or where I can get some more info?

Distinguished Member
    there are some very knowledgeable posters here, but it might take some time for them to see the thread. It would also help to have a more descriptive title. Maybe something like " Need info on Colt Mark IV"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    I've got a Colt Mark IV Gov't Model series 70 in .38 Super Auto, serial is 70 S09659, its in about 95-98% condition. Can anyone tell me more more about it than I can find in general Internet searches manufacture dates, rarity, value, etc? Thanks.
    I canít answer as to rarity but I picked up a similar one at a gun show a little over a year ago for $800. Great shooting gun and 38 Super ammo is not hard to find around here.

Colt_L.JPG Colt_R.JPG
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    there are some very knowledgeable posters here, but it might take some time for them to see the thread. It would also help to have a more descriptive title. Maybe something like " Need info on Colt Mark IV"
    I tried to change the title to get some more interest but you can't change it after its been posted.

I would recommend you remove the full serial number from your post. This forum is full of great, knowledgeable people but there are lurkers who may not have the best intentions. JMO.

Good luck on your quest!
    ďThere are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.Ē
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    I would recommend you remove the full serial number from your post. This forum is full of great, knowledgeable people but there are lurkers who may not have the best intentions. JMO.

Good luck on your quest!
    I appreciate the warning but, what in the world would they do with just the serial number?

Just curious...what can someone do with the s/n from your gun?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Sponsor

Lightbulb

The Series ’70 Colt in .38 Super used to be THE gun to have in IPSC matches until the STI 2011 High Capacity gun came out in .38 Super…

It’s still collectable, but I haven’t kept up with the values lately. Also, competition shooters still like it for Speed Steel, IDPA ESP Division, etc.

It’s far better than the Series ’80 Colts because it lacks a firing pin safety plunger SLS (Stupid Lawyer Stuff). It would make a nice gun to do a custom conversion on for someone with $$$.

Note: The .38 Super is a semi-rimmed cartridge that head spaces on the rim (not the case neck). It’s not very accurate. But installing a new match barrel would fix that.

The Nonte reamer head spaces on the case mouth. My late, great, friend John Nowlin, Sr. designed a chamber reamer (for match barrels) that head spaced on the case mouth (not the rim) but with tighter tolerance than the Nonte. He called it the SUPER .38 and I can attest that it will make THE most accurate 1911 ever and it would use standard .38 Super ammo (and dies if you reload).

You could also re-barrel it and chamber it for 9mm (which is cheaper and more accurate than your barrel is now) or the powerful 9x23 Winchester if you wanted.

Hope this helps...

AH CLUB 100.gif

Tactical Shooting Academy - 1911 Pistolsmithing
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    The Series í70 Colt in .38 Super used to be THE gun to have in IPSC matches until the STI 2011 High Capacity gun came out in .38 SuperÖ

Itís still collectable, but I havenít kept up with the values lately. Also, competition shooters still like it for Speed Steel, IDPA ESP Division, etc.

Itís far better than the Series í80 Colts because it lacks a firing pin safety plunger SLS (Stupid Lawyer Stuff). It would make a nice gun to do a custom conversion on for someone with $$$.

Note: The .38 Super is a semi-rimmed cartridge that head spaces on the rim (not the case neck). Itís not very accurate. But installing a new match barrel would fix that.

The Nonte reamer head spaces on the case mouth. My late, great, friend John Nowlin, Sr. designed a chamber reamer (for match barrels) that head spaced on the case mouth (not the rim) but with tighter tolerance than the Nonte. He called it the SUPER .38 and I can attest that it will make THE most accurate 1911 ever and it would use standard .38 Super ammo (and dies if you reload).

You could also re-barrel it and chamber it for 9mm (which is cheaper and more accurate than your barrel is now) or the powerful 9x23 Winchester if you wanted.

Hope this helps...

AH CLUB 100.gif

Thanks DRM, I appreciate your time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    The Series í70 Colt in .38 Super used to be THE gun to have in IPSC matches until the STI 2011 High Capacity gun came out in .38 SuperÖ

Itís still collectable, but I havenít kept up with the values lately. Also, competition shooters still like it for Speed Steel, IDPA ESP Division, etc.

Itís far better than the Series í80 Colts because it lacks a firing pin safety plunger SLS (Stupid Lawyer Stuff). It would make a nice gun to do a custom conversion on for someone with $$$.

Note: The .38 Super is a semi-rimmed cartridge that head spaces on the rim (not the case neck). Itís not very accurate. But installing a new match barrel would fix that.

Hope this helps...

AH CLUB 100.gif

^^^^^I'm just gonna take my drink^^^^^^^

And go sit in the corner and listen to you really really smart folks,,,,,

Some of the Guys at work think I'm some gun guru because I know a lot of different calibers/firearms manufacturer's.

You guys make me feel like a complete simpleton.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    I appreciate the warning but, what in the world would they do with just the serial number?
    Maybe I am paranoid, but with a serial number someone could make claims about the gun. Example that you stole it from them and forged paperwork (which hopefully you have), and thrust you into legal issues. No serial number, very hard to challenge someone. It may be unlikely, but I personally wouldn't feel prudent to risk it. I could see such a scenario happening more in the collectors market than average pistols though.

I think you could achieve the same results in your query by providing a range of serials vs. the actual serial number. Again, I could be paranoid.

Nice pistol.....some day I will own one.
    ďThere are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.Ē
    ― Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links