Hold the Presses: Reporter Criticizes DC Gun Beaucracy

This is a discussion on Hold the Presses: Reporter Criticizes DC Gun Beaucracy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Times blogger Emily Miller has documented the "process" of obtaining a legal gun in the District of Corruption. Below is an extract from her blog ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By buckeye .45
  • 2 Post By wmhawth

Thread: Hold the Presses: Reporter Criticizes DC Gun Beaucracy

Hold the Presses: Reporter Criticizes DC Gun Beaucracy

Times blogger Emily Miller has documented the "process" of obtaining a legal gun in the District of Corruption. Below is an extract from her blog after she had finally received approval.

I searched and found a reference by Joker1 (link) in another thread about NJ in October.

Guns - Washington Times Entire Blog

MILLER: My testimony at D.C. city council (VIDEO) - Washington Times Below snipped from this link.

So I have spent a total of $465 in fees. And that doesnít include the cost of the gun!

I had no idea registering a gun would be this expensive. I think the registration packet should state these costs up front. This is a lot of money for me, and I have a good job. So I donít know how a lower-income DC resident could afford almost $500 in fees to have a legal gun.

Mr. Chairman, I was pleased to see your bill would have the police take photos instead of our having to buy passport photos. And you would eliminate the ballistics test. Those things would save us $32 in fees, but it helps more in saving time.

And thatís the other and final huge hurdle I want to mention today. It takes way too much time to get a gun legally in D.C. From taking the written test, the five-hour class, waiting in line at the DMV to pay the fees, getting fingerprinted, meeting with Sykes to transfer the gun and on and on.

No one can register a gun in DC without taking at least two or three days off work. And as you know, the registry office is closed on weekends.

Members of the committee, in my opinion, this complicated registration process doesnít stop people from getting guns, it just drives them to get guns illegally because itís faster and cheaper and a lot less frustrating.

I think you should encourage people like me -- who are trying to abide by the law -- by making this gun registration process less burdensome on the citizen.

Iíve only touched on some of my main issues with the registration process. My written testimony will give you a complete perspective of what we go through.

Thank you for your time.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

2. Remove Ads

I've been following the whole series on Twitter, where she posts new articles as they are published.

Pretty draconian and oppressive rules if you ask me. But, she actually seems to be doing quite a bit of good as far as spreading the word, and the DC council seems to have taken note.

And she choose a Sig for her first pistol, so at least she didn't go through all that for a hi-point.
    rolyat63 and OPFOR like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yea, Been watching this for little while.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Anything to give them a little prod towards sanity!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Wow, DC is even worse than Jersey!
    Seems more than a little ironic that the city with the least liberty in our nation, is, in fact, our nation's capital.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I think you should encourage people like me -- who are trying to abide by the law -- by making this gun registration process less burdensome on the citizen.
    Obviously that would run counter to their desired effect.
    oneshot and DaveH like this.

You won't find a more anti gun group than the DC council.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Phil Mendolson, a council memeber is introducing legislation to simplify the whole process. Who kmows what "simplfy" means to the Politboro in DC though.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I've been following the whole series on Twitter, where she posts new articles as they are published.
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Yea, Been watching this for little while.
    Ditto. I actually first heard about it on the Sig Forum where she posted about having difficulty getting the SIG she wanted w/ 10 round mags.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    Imagine that, DC doing everything possible to discourage their serf's from owning guns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Whats not to love?
    She's beautiful, smart, energetic, well spoken and in a job with some visibility which can garner somewhat of an audience.
    If she were not any of those, do you think anyone would have ever heard of her?
    Thank goodness the people of Disneyland on the Potomac have her championing a cause such as this.
    Hopefully she will get additional support from others in higher esteem which would help the cause go where it needs to be.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links