Old Marine Warhorse scores one for the good guys!

This is a discussion on Old Marine Warhorse scores one for the good guys! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I came across this article while surfing the net...Hoorah! Former Marine thwarts Subway robbery, kills 1 By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer Posted : Monday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Old Marine Warhorse scores one for the good guys!

Old Marine Warhorse scores one for the good guys!

I came across this article while surfing the net...Hoorah!

Former Marine thwarts Subway robbery, kills 1

By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer
    Posted : Monday Jul 2, 2007 1950 EDT

A 71-year-old former “Marine One” helicopter pilot broke up an armed robbery at a Plantation, Fla., Subway restaurant last week, killing one alleged robber and hospitalizing another.

While John Lovell was finishing up his sandwich around 11:15 p.m. last Wednesday, two masked men armed with guns barged into the restaurant, according to a statement from the Plantation police. After taking money from the register, the two men turned to Lovell and demanded his wallet, police said.

As the two tried to force Lovell into the ladies’ room where he thought he would be killed, the former Marine reached behind his back to grab his .45-caliber handgun, which he fired seven times at the two men, according to the police statement.

Donicio Arrendell, 22, of North Lauderdale, was fatally shot in the head and chest. Frederick Gadson, 21, of Fort Lauderdale, ran from the store after he was shot in the chest, according to the police statement. A police canine unit found him hiding next to a nearby bank. He was sent to Broward General Hospital and was listed in stable condition.

“It’s tragic and I feel sorry for them,” said Lovell’s attorney and longtime friend Wesley White. Lovell did not return calls to his home Monday afternoon. “He did it to protect himself and the guy behind the Subway counter.”

Police will not charge Lovell. He owned a concealed weapons permit to carry the gun he used that night, White said.

“Lovell doesn’t want to talk about the incident right now because he is afraid the family members of the two men will come after him,” he said.

Gadson was charged with felony murder and armed robbery. According to Florida law, a person charged with a felony, such as armed robbery, resulting in death can also be charged with murder.

Lovell served with Marine Helicopter Squadron 1 — which transports the president, vice president and cabinet members — while John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson were in office, White said. After getting out of the Marine Corps as a major, Lovell flew with Pan-America and Delta, he said.

“Based on his Marine Corps training he was ready for that night,” White said.

An official at the squadron said he could not confirm whether Lovell was a pilot there, since they do not track former pilots.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    God bless this Marine, and John Browning's finest invention.
    atctimmy and scgunlover1 like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

you can't stop someone from robbing; but you can sure break them from the habbit.
    good for him and I like when he refused to give a statement.
    1 old 0311 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    His spare mag fell down into his pants, allowing the second BG the chance to get away. Otherwise, I have no doubt he'd have finished what they started.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good outcome! Even smarter to remain silent and refuse comment.

Good man!

Good story. The only thing that bothered me is the line "...He owned a concealed weapons permit to carry the gun he used..." It almost makes it sound like anyone can go out and "buy" a concealed weapons permit. I know we spend money to acquire a CWP, but it is only issued after a certain amount of background checking, It's not like paying the fees automatically entitles someone to a concealed weapons permit.

I know it's nitpicking, but it's just an observation.

I congratulate Major Lovell on maintaining his perspective and taking action when his life was directly threatened.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I love a happy ending.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

TJx
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post

I know it's nitpicking, but it's just an observation.
    ...and t's Pan American not "Pan-America"

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    Good outcome! Even smarter to remain silent and refuse comment.
    +1. That is advice from EVERY Lawyer. Don't say crap. If you must talk let it be to your lawyer.

Best line I heard was when asked "did you shoot to kill?" The reply was "no I shot to LIVE."

Congrats to this older gentleman...never pick a fight with an old man.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by whitmoresc View Post
    I came across this article while surfing the net...Hoorah!

Former Marine thwarts Subway robbery, kills 1

By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer
    Posted : Monday Jul 2, 2007 1950 EDT

A 71-year-old former “Marine One” helicopter pilot broke up an armed robbery at a Plantation, Fla., Subway restaurant last week, killing one alleged robber and hospitalizing another. pilots.
    God Bless this young man. Bless him for his service and good judgement.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

A more complete description of the event was written up in "The Ayoob Files" in American Handgunner a couple of years ago - pretty much repeated here: The retired marine and the robbers | American Handgunner | Find Articles
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    He discovered what a chilling experience it can be to run out of ammunition when you realize half of your armed opponents still appear to be capable of killing you

^^^^^^^^^The above^^^^^^^^^

Statement from the shooter should be an eye opener to the folks who believe that "five or six rounds should be all I need".

A snubnose five shot is better than nothing but,,,,,,,,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Never mess with a marine while he is eating....hahaha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links