Attempted fraud by private seller on this forum?

This is a discussion on Attempted fraud by private seller on this forum? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agreed to purchase 13 boxes of .380 ammo from a private seller one month ago, who I won't mention in this thread but you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Attempted fraud by private seller on this forum?

I agreed to purchase 13 boxes of .380 ammo from a private seller one month ago, who I won't mention in this thread but you can read in my buyer/seller feedback.

The guy had a previous positive feedback so I figured it was a cool deal. I sent payment, he confirmed he received it. Well over three weeks have gone by, no ammo has shown up, nothing.

Two weeks ago, the seller PMed me and said he received a delivery exception from UPS and that the ammo was damaged. Last week, he sent another message claiming UPS was able to recover most of the package and asked me if I would take it. I said yes, granted he refunded me for what was lost.

This week, I have emailed him several times (without a response) asking for a tracking number which he never provided from the start. I find this very suspicious. I called UPS, and they said they had no record of a package being sent!

Am I overreacting here? Any suggestions?

You have a legit reason to be mad! The very first thing he should have done was to confirm payment received, and supplied you a tracking number. Sounds like you were burned!
    ccman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    You have a legit reason to be mad! The very first thing he should have done was to confirm payment received, and supplied you a tracking number. Sounds like you were burned!
    Lesson learned, never will I buy from a private seller online again unless in an auction setting. The seller is a semi-regular on this board. I would be suprised if he shows up after this.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I recommed PayPal, in many cases you can get your money back for bad transactions

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I recommed PayPal, in many cases you can get your money back for bad transactions
    NOT FOR AMMO,in fact if they find you violated their rules they would very likely ban you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not for firearms or related. These are against Paypal's TOS, rather than settle a dispute they would lock your account and possibly freeze funds in any attached bank accounts.

I didn't know you could use Paypal?

IMO, a month is enough time to complete most any transaction, but it's pure speculation for sure... I would hope that being a forum member here would motivate both sellers and buyers to do the right thing...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    IMO, a month is enough time to complete most any transaction, but it's pure speculation for sure... I would hope that being a forum member here would motivate both sellers and buyers to do the right thing...
    I am still holding out hope that this gets resolved, but I am quickly losing faith. If this doesn't get resolved, IMO the seller should be IP banned from this site.

VIP Member
    You can't use PayPal for guns, ammo, and I think they don't like knives, either. With a regular credit card, I believe you have some recourse that you don't get with a debit card.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

If you didn't receive the purchase it's the sellers responsibility,I have engaged in numerous transactions on this site and never been "burned" yet,most recent was for Pmags from a fairly new member,I was leery at first,but after contact and explanation went ahead.
    A month is way too long he should be refunding money,If UPS lost/damaged the shipment then he needs to deal with UPS
    ccman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I sent an email to the forum webmaster. Here is the response I got:

Unfortunately we cannot get involved in the selling and buying of products on our site. If they were a supporting Vendor there would be some recourse but unfortunately he/she is not. Keep on top of them until you get your ammo. We haven't had any complaints about this seller to date so there's a good chance something must have happened. Private message him and ask in his threads what the deal is.

I guess you are more easy going than me. If he doesn't produce in short order, either $$$ refund or the product, I'd publish names, etc.
    ccman likes this.

That sounds like about the only recourse you have at the moment... Who knows, something might have happened beyond his control.. I know it's not consolation, but too much grief may just end up causing an even longer delay, not to mention he may just leave the site altogether..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    That sounds like about the only recourse you have at the moment... Who knows, something might have happened beyond his control.. I know it's not consolation, but too much grief may just end up causing an even longer delay, not to mention he may just leave the site altogether..
    I have been very patient with the seller but now I am getting aggravated. If he reads this thread he needs to contact me and make this right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links