Man acquitted in shooting is 'happy to be free', but now is homeless. - Page 2

Man acquitted in shooting is 'happy to be free', but now is homeless.

This is a discussion on Man acquitted in shooting is 'happy to be free', but now is homeless. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wrong thread Highonroof...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Man acquitted in shooting is 'happy to be free', but now is homeless.

Wrong thread Highonroof

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

I'll admit, I lost some respect for him when he played the race card.
    Race card is overplayed, but very valid in many situations.

Before I knew my rights, and before I even started carrying, I was stopped and frisked many times while just going on about my business.

The point is, a LOT of officers still assume a black male (especially a young one) is up to no good.

And my pants are always at my waist lol

Not saying its race in this situation, just saying I can't be sure it isn't.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Regardless of all the conjecture about who did what and obvious shortcomings of our generally liberal court/justice system, the major lesson to be learned here is the extreme importance of always carrying some form of reputable firearms legal defense insurance that will provide you with specialized firearms legal representation that extends to both criminal and civil arenas without fine print that says they can drop you if continuing defense gets too expensive for them. Anytime you pull or fire a weapon in a self-defense situation, you instantly become legal cannon-fodder regardless of whether you were right or wrong and/or whether anyone (or anything) was killed, wounded, damaged,or simply soiled themselves.

I've been involved with two totally justifiable shootings (outside military combat), and very few people realize the massive and unbelievably expensive legal repercussions that continue ringing out for months (even years) after the sound of a gunshot has quickly silenced. Even when a shooting is completely legal and justifiable beyond reasonable doubt, the biggest mistake anyone can ever make is to assume that either LE or the court system is going to protect them, preserve their rights, and defend them from prosecution (either criminal or civil in nature).

Most everyone pays hundreds of dollars per year to carry automobile liability insurance because they realize they could easily be financially wiped out for the rest of their lives from an accident regardless of who was at fault; yet they'll strap on a pistol and carry it everywhere without the slightest worry of what may happen if they have to use it or, heaven forbid, have an accident with it at the range or anywhere else.

Just a word to the wise

Sorry, Wrong thread... don't have a clue how that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    Ah, what? a slight relation to the story would be good.
    Taurus PT 640 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
    Race card is overplayed, but very valid in many situations.

Before I knew my rights, and before I even started carrying, I was stopped and frisked many times while just going on about my business.

The point is, a LOT of officers still assume a black male (especially a young one) is up to no good.

And my pants are always at my waist lol

Not saying its race in this situation, just saying I can't be sure it isn't.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    Try riding or walking around in the mid 70's, Long hair & getting pulled over and car searched Ect. Samething.PROFILING ; )
    H/D
    highonroof and mlr1m like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I can see where he has a right to be upset with the apartment complexes treatment of him and his property. I would hope he can sue and recover the cost of his personal property. The charges against him were the decision of the DA, considering the 911 tape, I think the DA is a fool.

I'll admit, I lost some respect for him when he played the race card.
    I think your right about the DA being a fool. However, I think you are too quick with your comment about the "race card".

He should never have been arrested. He was either arrested because the DA doesn't like people who exercise their conceal carry rights or maybe there is a hint of truth that race was involved.

He was clearly in danger and defended himself reasonably. Why did the DA pursue legal action if not to make him pay for some bias the DA holds in some way?

It is unfortunate that he doesn't have the ability to sue the city for wrongful arrest or something.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Regardless of all the conjecture about who did what and obvious shortcomings of our generally liberal court/justice system, the major lesson to be learned here is the extreme importance of always carrying some form of reputable firearms legal defense insurance that will provide you with specialized firearms legal representation that extends to both criminal and civil arenas without fine print that says they can drop you if continuing defense gets too expensive for them. Anytime you pull or fire a weapon in a self-defense situation, you instantly become legal cannon-fodder regardless of whether you were right or wrong and/or whether anyone (or anything) was killed, wounded, damaged,or simply soiled themselves.

I've been involved with two totally justifiable shootings (outside military combat), and very few people realize the massive and unbelievably expensive legal repercussions that continue ringing out for months (even years) after the sound of a gunshot has quickly silenced. Even when a shooting is completely legal and justifiable beyond reasonable doubt, the biggest mistake anyone can ever make is to assume that either LE or the court system is going to protect them, preserve their rights, and defend them from prosecution (either criminal or civil in nature).

Most everyone pays hundreds of dollars per year to carry automobile liability insurance because they realize they could easily be financially wiped out for the rest of their lives from an accident regardless of who was at fault; yet they'll strap on a pistol and carry it everywhere without the slightest worry of what may happen if they have to use it or, heaven forbid, have an accident with it at the range or anywhere else.

Just a word to the wise
    Where do you get such insurance? What is the cost?

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Just from reading the story, I think there may have been some other stuff going on before the shooting - like Lewis and Ludwick were having a heated exchange while driving. Why was there a report of the two cars racing down the street in front of the apt complex? Then it sounds like Lewis cut off Ludwick to turn into the apt complex. On a tactics note, if you just finished getting into such a situation, why in the world would you pull into your own apt complex so the other person then knows where you live?

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I read the whole news article. I say he dug the ditch he found himself in.

Lewis passed him. Ludwick sped up, and the cars raced down 11th Street until they came to Regency Woods. They collided when Lewis, in front and on the right, started to turn left.
    - racing
    - making a left turn from the right side of the other vehicle which resulted in his car being hit

He contributed substantially to the misery he found himself waist deep in.

Also, he did not "lose his home." He lost the apartment he was renting. Big difference between the two in my mind....
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

VIP Member
    The county attorney is the problem, as evidenced below in the two statements, one of which is a quote from him;
    1),,,Polk County Attorney John Sarcone said that he accepted the jury’s verdict but that the case deserved to go to trial because Lewis’ actions raised a sufficient number of questions.

“We just don’t allow people to go shoot people,” he said. “Using deadly force is a last resort. It shouldn’t be the first resort.”

He evidently isn't aware of disparity of force, or thinks that "a reasonable man ought to take a beating, and be on the ground and within an inch of his life, before responding with deadly force.

And 2)

The legislation, which Sarcone argued against before a House subcommittee last month, also says a person cannot be prosecuted for using force against someone perceived to pose a threat, even if that perception is later proved incorrect.

Obviously the county attorney is anti gun/anti-protection, SD.

I think race MAY have been and underlying issue in his case, although not the whole story.
    IMHO the victim bear-ed a certain responsibility to not drive aggressively and provoke the drunken idiots, but he still never should have sat in jail. He should have been released on personal recognizance or something.
    Sad his family didn't have $3,500 to wire him.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Anyone know...of a insurance product for CCW...AS Eaglebeak points out this thread is a posterchild for it...I'd go for it, not interested in the generic "prepaid legal" program, but a line that reflects my status as a permitted CC citizen...

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Just from reading the story, I think there may have been some other stuff going on before the shooting - like Lewis and Ludwick were having a heated exchange while driving. Why was there a report of the two cars racing down the street in front of the apt complex? Then it sounds like Lewis cut off Ludwick to turn into the apt complex. On a tactics note, if you just finished getting into such a situation, why in the world would you pull into your own apt complex so the other person then knows where you live?
    A former security guard and law enforcement officer, Lewis also is a hunter and gun collector and came to Iowa with a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Lewis was itching for a fight. He was a ex-cop and played those drunken kids, even on his cell call he was orchestrating things. His story is that he was looking at his car when two guys snuck up on him, next pulled his gun and the honkie kids 'charged him'. Mr Tibbs ran those kids off the road, started with the racial epitaphs, and then 'Pulled his piece' before the kids knew what happened.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links