Selling long guns in FL

Selling long guns in FL

This is a discussion on Selling long guns in FL within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can someone help me? Its been a while since I've participated in the forum, but I am in need of some assistance. My dad recently ...

Thread: Selling long guns in FL

Selling long guns in FL

Can someone help me? Its been a while since I've participated in the forum, but I am in need of some assistance. My dad recently passed away in FL and my stepmom wants to sell his long guns. Also, I would like to keep his hand guns and bring some of them back home with me. I have a valid MI CPL license.

What is the law in FL regarding owning long guns? Do they have to be registered? If so, what happens if they were never registered? What is the best way to sell long guns in FL? Should we take them to a local dealer? Will a dealer buy outright or will we have to sell them on consignment? The guns are located in FL in the "Space Coast" area. Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer in the area (Cocoa, Viera, Titusville, Merritt Island, Melbourne). Right now I do not know what kind/brand they are, but will be back in FL soon to be able to research them. My stepmom doesn't have a clue.

Also, how do I go about transferring a handgun from FL to MI? I would like to keep some of his handguns.

Thanks in advance.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

there is no registration of guns in FLA.
    as for selling them, a dealer will be giving you very low wholesale prices, if you have the time you could sell the rifles or guns on your own and get a lot more for them.
    as for transferring them to another state you need to check on the laws in the state that you'd be bringing the weapons into. some states you can just bring them others won't allow you to bring them in unregistered. check the laws in your state.

This site might help you. Guns For Sale . Sell My Gun.*
    Whereabouts in MI? I was born & raised there
    USN Retired

I live in FL now and moved here from MI.
    You can bring all the guns you want back to MI with you. Then take your time and sell them at will if you want. There's no registration in either state... except for purchasing a handgun in MI. I'm not sure how this works since you're not actually purchasing the pistols... so you may want to ask your local PD first before bringing them home. And yes, you can legally ship them to yourself without the use of a FFL.

If you want REALLY detailed verbage check out floridashootersnetwork.com . It's a FL forum and there's a few lawyers who frequently post.... also most of the guys are transplants from other parts of the country.

Good luck, and sorry for your loss.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I'm am pretty sure there is an inheritance clause that allows you to take ownership of handguns across state lines but you need to look into it. I'm not a lawyer.

If you sell those guns to a gun store they will not offer you a fair amount.

If you do a search for completed listings on gunbroker.com for the guns you have for sale, find similar ones, knock off 10% or so, then take some GOOD pictures and list them for sale on floridaguntrader.com (a free sight) you'll sell them all within a couple days. You'll get 20 people offering you pennies and used beef jerky for trade, but you'll get good offers also.

If/when you do sell them in FL just be sure to check that the people are legal residents of the state of FL (check their ID) and ask if they are legally capapble of owning/posessing a firearm. A bill of sale never hurts but isn't necessary.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I will not be back in FL for a few weeks. Then I will be able to identify some of the long guns. I will post for more help once I find out what I have.

Thanks again.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Links