Is this information correct? - Page 2

Is this information correct?

This is a discussion on Is this information correct? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Glad I read this thread. I've never heard of it and now I know the etiquette. ;-)...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is this information correct?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Glad I read this thread. I've never heard of it and now I know the etiquette. ;-)

RKM
    People blow things out of proportion. He probably thinks dry firing it once of twice would probably break it too. Modern firearms are pretty resilient. You're not going to break it by letting the slide slam into battery on an empty chamber. Sure it may not be good for it, but it's not going to break it. It's on of things that easily avoidable, as you can ease the slide forward on an empty chamber, but if you don't, it's not the end of the world.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I was taught many moons ago to never drop a slide on an empty chamber by releasing the slide lock. Long before I ever heard of a glock. Surely I am not trying to tell someone what to do, or not to do with their weapon, to each his own, but sometimes it only takes one time to screw something up.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Administrator
    Here is the guy on YouTube that slammed his Kimber slide home on an empty chamber 500 times in this Video with no function or trigger related problems & he states that he has done it at least 1,000 times before he made this video.

Why has he done it? I guess to prove a point. Don't shoot the messenger though I only found it on YouTube quite a while ago. I'm not saying DO IT. I'm only saying that somebody should not get bitched at for inadvertently allowing to happen.

Does it make sense? Yes, to me it does,,,,, but honestly
    I do BOTH,,,, but I do see it could do harm,,,, why take
    a chance. Wouldn't/shouldn't hurt when limited ,,,,, but
    I believe I will start doing less,,, just as a safety to protect
    my gun.

Administrator
    Like everything else this issue too has also been tested scientifically. Note that I am not posting this (below) to espouse anything.
    Only posting this because in the past on this forum I have seen new 1911 owners get really upset with themselves and actually worried when they WHOOPSED! and let their slide slam home on an empty chamber.

To those folks I have always said...Relax...don't give it another passing thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
    > To try and examine the supposed danger of dropping the slide on an empty chamber of a 1911, I did some testing using a high speed camera and MATLAB to compare the slide velocity between chambering a snap cap and dropping the slide on an empty chamber.

The velocity of the slide prior to closing for the empty chamber tests was ~2.07 m/s, and for the dummy round, ~1.31 m/s.

Conclusion: "There's no reason to believe that this difference in velocity is significant."

During LEO academy I was taught to never release the slide with the slide lock. Ever! Chamber loaded or not. Of course that was to train us to use gross motor movements rather than fine because in high stress situations fine motor control become less than reliable.

Administrator
    While we are on the subject of firearm slamming I should add that folks should never flip a revolver to let the cylinder violently slam up into the revolver frame.
    Expect dirty looks from gun owners if you slam a slide home on a semi that is not yours or a cylinder on a revolver that does not belong to you.
    Neither is is a sign of respectful gun handling on property that belongs to somebody else.
    sgb likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    in a fight its a slide release if thats what will get you back in the fight faster.

those numbers 2.07 and 1.31; lower energy in the lower number, yes?
    lower energy means less force disapated when the slide & frame come together, yes?

with mine and any im handling, 1911's when practicing, i'll continue to ease the slide and snap the trigger
    when mt. with glocks who cares.

revolvers, QK has it right.
    sgb likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    There is no reason to drop the slide on any empty semi auto from slide lock by depressing the slide stop. The proper way is to pull the slide back slightly, depress the slide stop and let the slide move forward while impeding it's speed with your weak hand. Why would anyone want to slam metal against metal needlessly on something you paid good money for? As someone already stated, "you don't slam doors do you?". It may never cause any damage but it might. I can't speak for the plastic fantastic pistols but any 1911 with a trigger job can be damaged by dropping the slide with nothing to cushion the impact.
    It's funny because I don't do it anymore, although didn't see a legitimate reason why it was bad, I figured it can't hurt not to do it, right? Just cause you can do something and people haven't seen or experienced damage when doing doesn't mean it can't be bad, maybe it is maybe it isn't but I figured let me avoid the problem.. So again I stopped doing it unless imam chambering a round.

I guess what my question empirically boils down tom though, is.. Does having a round being stripped and chambered from the mag slow or cushion the slide. And conversely is there more abuse when coming from full slide lock than not? That's all. Love the responses and thanks.

Another thought post post is that in tactical training we are taught it is better to load the chamber from the pull slide and release as under combat stress that button may be too small to sense tactilely with adrenaline fueled CNS and fine motor skill deficiencies.

Knowledgeable people recommend against dropping the slide on an empty chamber, what, exactly, are the arguments for doing it?
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Distinguished Member
    While I don't think you'll generally hurt anything, except for special circumstances, I don't think it's good gun shop etiquette to do it, either via the slide release or by pulling back on the slide and letting it go. Since I don't own the gun yet I handle it gently and always ease the slide forward so it doesn't slam closed.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Knowledgeable people recommend against dropping the slide on an empty chamber, what, exactly, are the arguments for doing it?
    I believe SIG recommends doing it after you've field stripped and put it back together. It's done as a function check to make sure it closes with force.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    Only reason I can see is : Why would you want it without one in the pipe?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Actually 1911 makers DO do allow the slide to slam forward on an empty chamber as part of a final function check (or at least they should) in order to make certain that the hammer full cock notch does not jump the sear or vice versa which would cause the hammer to follow the slide forward.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links