Is this information correct?

This is a discussion on Is this information correct? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I was visiting my local gun shop and checking out some pistols, I dropped the slide on an empty chamber. The salesman admonished me ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is this information correct?

When I was visiting my local gun shop and checking out some pistols, I dropped the slide on an empty chamber. The salesman admonished me stating that one should never do that, that it could damage the gun. That the slide lock release is only for dropping the slide on a loaded mag, that otherwise I should have just snapped the slide back with a quick pull. I don't see the difference it would make-- is the force so much greater on the empty chamber when the slide is coming from slidelock than if I do a manual pullback?

I have heard people say that but I do it all the time with my G19 and it's still good to go
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    He knows not of what he speaks. I regualrly use the release on my G30 without issues. I've "heard" stories of the slide lock or the notch in the slide "wearing out" but have never experienced it, just heard the legendary internet stories.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I just received my PMR30, and it states in the manual NOT to let the slide slam into an empty chamber. FWIW

I've never heard that, and I do it with my G19 all the time. I also do it all the time at gun stores with various handguns and rifles.

I would not recommend doing it onto an empty chamber on a regular basis
    WHEC724 likes this.

Do it all the time with my XD9sc...never an issue. I'm sure someone, somewhere, decided it "probably" isn't a good idea and then that notion found it's way onto the interwebs and the rest is history. I'm sure the manufacturer will never tell you it's OK just to cover themselves, but it's no different than pulling back and letting it fly.

I have also heard of slide release levers wearing down and ultimately preventing the slide from locking after ejection of final round, sounds legit but is still hard to imagine. Its hard to say. I figure its no more effort to release the slide overhand. I Never use the bolt release on my A.R either i just re-rack the charging handle and let it snap.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

sgb
    Do you SLAM doors?
    claude clay likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Me thinks,,,,,,Wives tale.

I have heard it , but I personally don't put much stock in it.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    The salesman probably has to follow the company policy and there are so many people who look at the guns and handle them that they don't want to allow it. Somebody will own that pistol some day. I would rather have a brand new one from the back that was not handled and dry fired a lot. Also depends on the weapon. It don't matter for many.
    rdpG19 likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    If were talking about "nice" 1911s there's some truth to it:

Weapon handling protocol:

Always ease the slide down on an empty chamber, never slam it shut from slide lock. A G.I. rack grade 1911 may do fine when you slam the slide on the empty chamber, but a gun with a tuned trigger and fitted barrel will do better without it. The jarring of the slide slamming down on an empty chamber can cause the hammer to follow and the sear nose to crash into the hammer hooks. Your trigger job will last longer if you ease the slide down. Further, the lower lugs on a match fit barrel take a lot of impact when they contact the slide stop, and without the buffering effect of the round feeding into the chamber, you increase wear on your barrel by slamming the slide on an empty chamber. It's not the end of the world if the slide drops on an empty chamber, but it's not a good habit to develop either. It is the sign of an amateur 1911 handler.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    There is no reason to drop the slide on any empty semi auto from slide lock by depressing the slide stop. The proper way is to pull the slide back slightly, depress the slide stop and let the slide move forward while impeding it's speed with your weak hand. Why would anyone want to slam metal against metal needlessly on something you paid good money for? As someone already stated, "you don't slam doors do you?". It may never cause any damage but it might. I can't speak for the plastic fantastic pistols but any 1911 with a trigger job can be damaged by dropping the slide with nothing to cushion the impact.
    rdpG19 likes this.

VIP Member
    Agreed with JD! fine tuned. If I was going to purchase one I would be mad if the store let hundreds of people mess with it.

Administrator
    Colt told me years ago - slam away no problem. Kimber sez Do not slam the slide home on an empty chamber.

It's always a no-no with any 1911s that have had a custom trigger job unless you the trigger is held in.

Regardless you should only do it your own firearm if (for some reason) you need to do it at all.

It's just "one of those things" ~ people don't like it & harmful (or not) it is considered to be poor gun etiquette when handling a firearm that is not yours.

Personally and while I don't do it - any gun that I owned that would suffer physical damage from having a slide slam home on an empty chamber would be sold to the highest bidder...AKA Going....Going...GONE!

It's curious that you would get admonished for doing it (don't know what exact firearm it was...you didn't say) but, 1911 makers do it a few times as part of their final function check to see if the sear jumps the hammer full cock notch and follows the slide. So one more time woulldn't/shouldn't hurt anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links