New 1911

This is a discussion on New 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The most important question has not yet been answered--what do you plan to do with it? Are you going to use it exclusively on the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New 1911

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    The most important question has not yet been answered--what do you plan to do with it? Are you going to use it exclusively on the range? Are you going to concealed carry it?? (I have an older 4" Colt Commander, a 3" Kimber Ultra Raptor, and several 4" Kimber Pro" models.)

a. if range use/home defense only: I'd recommend a 5" or 4" at minimum--the longer the barrel length, your weapon is heavier, less felt recoil, quicker recovery from recoil for follow-up shots.

b. If you are going to concealed carry it: Either a 3" OR a lightweight (aluminum frame) 4". I used to carry my 3" everyday, but then I got my 4" Raptor, and found I shot it better, so carried it, but it was heavy. Then I finally got my latest--the lighterweight Covert Pro. I now carry the Covert every day--Its lighter weight but still has the 4" barrel.

Whatever you get, you will have a blast!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I vote with the full size 5" crowd! I carry one every day except when wearing cargo shorts and a tank top in the hot summer. A full size 1911 is not that difficult to carry and conceal with the proper belt and holster. And 5" is the way Mr. Browning designed it. Just my .02 for what it's worth.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    uploadfromtaptalk1330538437966.jpg

Springfield EMP

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

GM
    In this order:

Colt
    Kimber
    Para
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Well I am the 1911 guy who carrys a Glock I have the G-19,26 and now 30. I love the 1911 and have never had a problem with any of my Kimbers.
    I would not order a Kimber I would find one in stock. it takes Kimber a long time to fill orders. The Colt's are also very nice, I would get one in a heartbeat. I have several friends that had some issues with the Para's so I would stay away from them. In fact my friend would not sell me his Para because he had some issues with it. He is a gunsmith and still had issues. He purchased it brand new and did not try to make it better. If you get a 1911 just shoot it maybe change the grips but don't mess with it. You don't need to swap out parts, polish this or that. Just enjoy it right out of the box.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    For your first 1911, I would go with the 5" Government Model.
    Here OD, I fixed your post:

"For your first - and definitely not your last - 1911, I would go with the 5" Government Model."
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

OD*
    You got that right, Gerald, thank you.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I fondled a Para Slim Hawg today.........VERY nice Compact

For your first, and at this point, only 1911 it HAS to be a 5" model. It should be Manlaw or something.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My first and only 1911 (so far) is a Springfield 1911A1 loaded. Really love it, great gun for a little over $800 out the door.

Ok sorry it has taken me awhile to update on this. I was looking at the smaller 1911's as I had planned on concealing this on a regular basis. I refuse to give up my Glocks so any 1911 I get will have to stand with being in a rotation from time to time. After seeing everyone talk about getting the 5" I will definitely look at them. I will not rule anything out. I have connections with a locale FFL so price isn't that big of an issues as I will be paying his cost not full retail. It looks like Rock Island has some good weapons so I will check them out as well. I will post pictures of whatever and when ever I get it for all to see. Thank you everyone for your advice and help on this matter.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

When my son was in on leave we had to haul out his Rock Island. A friend from college sent him some pewter "Eagle, Globe, and Anchor" stocks for his pistol and we had to try them on for size. I'm very impressed with the Rock Island, an inexpensive way to get into 1911 that seems to give up nothing in accuracy or dependability. Several years into his ownership of this one I'm likin' what I see.

OD* and glockman10mm like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I speak for myself (and I'm sure Glockman10mm will agree when he shows up- if this were paper, he'd have a rubber stamp specifically for it )- COLT.

I have a Springfield 1911A1- full size, GI model, and I love it. But, it's not all original; previous owner had the ramp polished, rubber grips, ambi- safety, etc. I love it, and it's been a flawless gun. But, I got it because of the deal I found. Given the choice, I would have gotten a Colt. Looked at the Rock Island Armory, and liked it a lot.

But, if you're getting one, especially your first, I would recommend getting the Colt, in a GI model; you can't go wrong with the original- JMB did it right.

I've got one factory mag, and two 'others'; one 'Shooting Star' 8 rounder, and one 'Kimpro' 8 rounder. My Kimpro mag cost around $30, and I like it, but I won't be getting another- for $30 each, Kimber can keep them.
    I agree. Colt IS the 1911. Also Springfield is a good gun too. I had a Para. Thing about Para, is it strays from the original design by using a ramped barrel, which is not a bad thing as it works well, but not true to the original design, and imo not really necessary. The one I had was a good reliable shooter, but had little QC quirks like the mag reease button coming loose. And the black finish does not wear well at all.
    My Colt will feed empty brass from the magazine.

Its pretty too. Life is too short to lug around an ugly gun.
    OD* and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I just ordered my first a Springfield TRP. I have handled and shot a lot and I think anybody should start with a 5" Gov. Or at least a Commander in 4"
    JD and OD* like this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Just to help guide the "New 1911" thread into a Colt kind of direction since Gman was good enough to stick up a photo of his nice pistol with the pleasing new stocks on it.

A good forum friend from another site sent me some fully checkered aftermarket exotic wood stocks for my most recent 1911 acquisition. They are superior for shooting purposes than the original "Coltwood" hard plastic stocks that came on the gun when it left the factory in 1947.

This Colt 1911 will feed and function with any bullet and load and has never once failed. I bought it as my first 1911, intending for it to be a "usin' gun" and use it I did. Large quantities of handloads were poured through it over the years and it was toted everywhere. I even used it as my concealed carry gun beneath a suit coat in an office environment. If I'd known it was going to develop a dab of "collectibility" I might have babied it more. It offers the typical looseness of a worn G.I. pistol but will still group a magazine-full of ball ammo inside of 6 inches at 25 yard and well-centered too.
    glockman10mm, BugDude and OD* like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links