New 1911

This is a discussion on New 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok so my lovely wife has said that I can pickup a new pistol for my birthday/our anniversary. She knows that I have been wanting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New 1911

New 1911

Ok so my lovely wife has said that I can pickup a new pistol for my birthday/our anniversary. She knows that I have been wanting a 1911 so that is her stipulation that it must be a 1911. I have never owned a 1911 so I am very excited to get my first one. I have looked at the Para-Ordnance Warthog, the Kimber Ultra Carry II and the Colt Defender. My question is what advice do you have to someone who is new to 1911's and out of the 3 listed above which would you prefer. I think I am leaning more towards the Colt. Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Of those three I would personally get the Defender.

I assume you chose these three based on size? If so, have you looked at the Springfield Micro Compact?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Recommended reading for anyone considering a 1911.

1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK

Of the guns you listed I'd opt for the Colt.

Others to look at, depending on your price range is Dan Wesson and Springfield Armory.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    For your first 1911, I would go with the 5" Government Model.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Traitor!!!!!!!!!!!,now you'll have to change your name!
    Quote Originally Posted by glocksmygun View Post
    Ok so my lovely wife has said that I can pickup a new pistol for my birthday/our anniversary. She knows that I have been wanting a 1911 so that is her stipulation that it must be a 1911. I have never owned a 1911 so I am very excited to get my first one. I have looked at the Para-Ordnance Warthog, the Kimber Ultra Carry II and the Colt Defender. My question is what advice do you have to someone who is new to 1911's and out of the 3 listed above which would you prefer. I think I am leaning more towards the Colt. Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

I own a Rock island armory 1911, and love it..cost 420 out the door and is the second 1911 I have owned. it is GI spec

however, my shooting buddies use kimber and springfield, they all shoot great. of the three you listed I would go with the kimber or the colt. but dont discount the RIA 1911...good hunting for your new pistol hope you have a blast with it.

JD
    Administrator
    I've owned four Paras, four Kimbers, and two Colts (as far as 1911s are concerned) I would not buy another Para, but if you do decide to buy one, buy one that's stainless steel, not Parakoted. Between Kimber and Colt, I would choose Colt , just make sure to get a newer one featuring the up-swept beaver tail grip safety.

Quote Originally Posted by glocksmygun View Post
    Kimber is good, I'd stay away from the "Officer Model" or "Ultra" sized three inch boomers. Get you a "Pro-carry" also referred to as the "Commander" sized four to just over four inch if carry is a concern. If not go for the full size. It's not so much the barrel length anyway for concealed carry as much as it is the "girth" of the firearm..You can't go wrong though with any Kimber. Just be prepared to purcase "other" magazines as well because the Kimber mags that come with the pricey jewels are pure shheight"..Go with "Chip McCormick" eight rounders or Mecgar eight rounders or if you can afford it "Wilson" Combat...Order them off Cheaper than Dirt and you won't pay as much for shipping as you would from "Midway USA"....Those guys were awesome but they lost their minds on shipping prices.....I guess the cost of gas effects that as well.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    For your first 1911 I recommend a full size
    jwhite75 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I speak for myself (and I'm sure Glockman10mm will agree when he shows up- if this were paper, he'd have a rubber stamp specifically for it )- COLT.

I have a Springfield 1911A1- full size, GI model, and I love it. But, it's not all original; previous owner had the ramp polished, rubber grips, ambi- safety, etc. I love it, and it's been a flawless gun. But, I got it because of the deal I found. Given the choice, I would have gotten a Colt. Looked at the Rock Island Armory, and liked it a lot.

But, if you're getting one, especially your first, I would recommend getting the Colt, in a GI model; you can't go wrong with the original- JMB did it right.

I've got one factory mag, and two 'others'; one 'Shooting Star' 8 rounder, and one 'Kimpro' 8 rounder. My Kimpro mag cost around $30, and I like it, but I won't be getting another- for $30 each, Kimber can keep them.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Hi glocksmygun;

You do whatever you wish but I'm another who recommends a 5-inch gun for shooting satisfaction. The shorties are cute and all but they are distinctly not a case of "the apple not falling very far from the tree" when it comes to 1911 design.
    azchevy and jwhite75 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If my wife said I could get one, I'd get a Nighthawk.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have a Colt, Springfield, and SIG 1911. I would recommend the first two, in that order. Not the SIG though, it has been more troublesome.

I have a Para,Rock,kimber and a Norc and the Kimber Tactical pro II is by far my favorite (right after my Glocks of course )

Mine is a Kimber Custom II Stainless. A fine shooter, no problems. Now that I have the holster I want, it will be carried regularly. You would do well with a Kimber or a Colt (tough to get a Colt around here). I have heard the higher end SA's are pretty good as well, but have never run of those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links