WGN News - Chicago: Gun Violence

This is a discussion on WGN News - Chicago: Gun Violence within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The past few evenings I have caught WGNs news broadcast at prime time on cable. I live in St. Louis. It is amazing how much ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By SFury
  • 2 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By Fitch

Thread: WGN News - Chicago: Gun Violence

WGN News - Chicago: Gun Violence

The past few evenings I have caught WGNs news broadcast at prime time on cable. I live in St. Louis.

It is amazing how much gun violence is on the news in Chicago. Isn't this supposed to be a gun free zone? Don't they have strict laws about who is allowed to carry a weapon? Shouldn't that eliminate gun violence?

I am puzzled. I mean, last night there were 4 people shot in an apartment complex at 53rd & king boulevard. One of the people was killed and another is a 15 year old kid. Shouldn't Illinois' gun laws have protected them?

There were, I kid you not, the three lead stories all about gun violence in Chicago. For a no-gun-zone they sure seem to have a lot of guns....

Discuss...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Fortunately, I only have to travel through Chicago twice a year. I never even stop in Illinois, let alone buy anything there (except for their stupid tolls).
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

It has to do with the culture of the people that tends to gravitate in large urban areas.

You'll see a trend in almost all large cities with inner-city violence. Gun friendly or not.

Most of the people committing crimes are not legally capable of owning guns. Most of them are underage, felons, or are both. It shows just how easy it is to get illegal items, and why more restrictions are useless. The only people affected are the ones who are not a problem.
    Doodle and The Old Anglo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    It has to do with the culture of the people that tends to gravitate in large urban areas.

You'll see a trend in almost all large cities with inner-city violence. Gun friendly or not.

Most of the people committing crimes are not legally capable of owning guns. Most of them are underage, felons, or are both. It shows just how easy it is to get illegal items, and why more restrictions are useless. The only people affected are the ones who are not a problem.
    Same here in Detroit. However, over the last few weeks, children and babies have been the victims as well as the suspects. It's crazy.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

As a tired old worn out statement says,

"When guns are banned, only criminals will have guns" rings true.

Laws do not prevent criminals from committing crime, restrictions on firearms do not prevent gun crime. The people who inflict these "laws" on the citizens think they do, but in reality which most of us live in, see the error.

The best weapon against restrictive polices or laws is to vote in different lawmakers who will see that what has been implimented is actually not working and change those laws.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I might get some flaming for this but gun laws or not; it’s the attitude of the people that is in clear disarray. They have no respect for each other or life itself. When you are raised in a Violent society it becomes the normal
    SFury and JoJoGunn like this.

Isn't Obama's buddy the mayor over there or something?

Seems to be doing a bang-up job. :rimshot:
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I live in Dayton Ohio where shootings are a daily thing! Lucky for us these ridiculous gun restrictions are not here. The fact is crimes are committed by people with unregistered weapons, no one should be stupid enough to commit a crime with a weapon that can be traced back to them.
    When the government is ignorant enough to think that keeping people from carrying guns will prevent violent crimes they are only hurting the people the crimes are being committed against. The number of people who have gotten their carry conceal in Dayton has increase like crazy the past few years and the rate of violent crimes has dropped. When criminals know that the lil old lady they are wanting to rob could be packing heat they think twice about doing it!
    Last edited by hammer2213; February 29th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Have only been to Chicago once, before I had a CCW was downtown at night and got so scared I went into a restaurant called a cab just to get back to the hotel were I felt some security, I think your all right its the culture and morals...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Isn't Obama's buddy the mayor over there or something?

Seems to be doing a bang-up job. :rimshot:
    Well the former governor is getting rimshots...

I have been to Chicago since getting my CCW and I had a really hard time enjoying my vacation. Not a town I plan to visit again any time soon.

As stated above, if the BGs know you may be packin they may think twice.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

It's bad in every big city. Isn't St. Louis one of the worst? I can't imagine they report every violent crime that happens there because cops are afraid to go into Wellston or East STL.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    It's bad in every big city. Isn't St. Louis one of the worst? I can't imagine they report every violent crime that happens there because cops are afraid to go into Wellston or East STL.
    We do have our share of crime in St. Louis. I will not deny that at all. HOWEVER... Knowing the area and knowing MANY police officers locally (my best bud works in a very high crime rate municipality) and watching WGN and noticing the reported news stories there versus here and knowing the number I hear about on the news here versus the number that occur here, it stands to reason the actual numbers in Chicago have got to be staggering if drawing a similar comparison between Chicago & St. Louis. (Holy run-on-sentence Batman)

Another factor in this is those who act like victims when out in public being obvious targets. I dated a girl in college whose mother was convinced that if we went to Northwest Plaza (a now closed mall that did have a crime problem) we would be murdered. She walked around in public looking like a poster-child for crime-victim advocacy groups. Her SA was lousy and she would racially profile like mad. I kept telling her "don't act like a victim and you lessen your chances of becoming one." Your demeanor DOES impact the perception of would-be criminals. They do not want to mess with a mark that will present problems.

I do spend time in Wellston for work. It really is not horrible. Be respectful, don't act afraid, use good SA, use common sense and all works out well. If the previous sentence fails you then be glad it is Missouri & you have rights.

On a side note, East St. Louis is in Illinois...
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The problem in Chicago is the victims don't have guns. The civilians living there are bait. If a criminal takes the bait, the powers that be decide if the victim is worth more than token effort, usually a political decision for a budget limited police force.

Crime pays in Chicago. If it didn't, there wouldn't be so much of it. It pays better in Chicago than some other big cities because the cost (victims ability to resist) of doing it is so low. It also pays because it starts at the top with dishonest politicians who live at the top of a triangle of crime and corruption they helped build.

Rahm isn't about to fix that. The victims vote him in and die because of it - sort of a poetic justice there if it wasn't so tragic.

Fitch
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Obamas State

Links