Nigerians Sent Me A Request For Training Class Info

This is a discussion on Nigerians Sent Me A Request For Training Class Info within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure exactly what the scam is, but here is the email I just received: "Hello Mr/Mrs, My name is Mr Kenneth Martinez,i need to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nigerians Sent Me A Request For Training Class Info

VIP Member

Not sure exactly what the scam is, but here is the email I just received:

"Hello Mr/Mrs,
    My name is Mr Kenneth Martinez,i need to make inquires for Firearms classes in your School for 6 Adults,the dates are not fixed yet so i am really flexible in the dates,it should be between the 7th May through 15th May 2012,which ever date is free please do let me know .wed like to make out the best and also demand for your best Instructor genuine friendliness and good humor.can you help me with the information below
    1)Do you have adequate gears or will that need to be rented?
    2)Is there accommodation or hotel close to your facility
    3)What's the cancellation policy?
    4)what is your payment option? do you accept credit card?
    5)Are there any hidden costs?
    6)What are the overtime charges
    I love to get back answers/ information on this request,please feel free to make suggestions to me.you are required to get back to me with the total cost of of your services only for any of those dates if available.i await your response."
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Setting you up for the bank account data? You can always play along. I suggest you respond indicating you would love to work with them, and the dates will need to be flexible due to your full time job with "Delta Force".

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    I agree with playing it out a littler further. My wife has started selling stuff on 'Craigs list', and there have been several occasions where I was sure it was a scam and it turned out to be a legitimate buyer.

Although, I would "staff up" a little more for this guy if you proceed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I agree with playing it out a littler further. My wife has started selling stuff on 'Craigs list', and there have been several occasions where I was sure it was a scam and it turned out to be a legitimate buyer.
    I know with 100% certainty that the email originated in Nigeria. I'm curious whether any other instructors here received similar mailings.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Could be legitimate. On the other hand perhaps not a scam. Terrorist training maybe? Remember the 911s used or attempted to use flight schools here in Fl. Does seem like a long way to come just for terrorist firearms training. It's not like there is a dearth of guns in that part of the world and folks who know how to use them. unless they want train and use locally. Scary. Might be a good idea to check with the authorities on this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I know with 100% certainty that the email originated in Nigeria. I'm curious whether any other instructors here received similar mailings.
    Not yet. Like the others have said play it along. It could get funny....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Hmmmm. What kind of training class? Basic, CHL, Advanced Combat Shooting??????? May be legit--tourists--, may be a scam of some kind, may be potential terrorists! Given all the scams involving Nigerian "bankers", and the fact the rag-heads that flew the planes on 9/11 got their "flight" training in the U.S., I think I'd be a bit "leery". Sounds a bit fishy to me. Just sayin.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Yeah, I'd play along like you would with anybody else until they start asking for info or 'help' that could be a scam. ie...asking for banking info so they can deposit their funds, asking you to cash a check and send back a portion of it etc....all the typical M.O.'s for these types of scams. Then again, the scam could be that they'll attend the class, kill everyone and walk away with the guns. Happy Tuesday everybody.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Gosh, Kenneth Martinez doesn't sound like a Nigerian name to me. Do you do background checks on students?

Play along and keep posting them, we could all use a good laugh!
    lyz_grace likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Was it in reply to a specific class?

Martinez doesn't sound Nigerian but the poor English is consistent with a foreigner. I'll bet the Prince is going to pay for their training, perhaps you should ask for copies of their Visas.

I would get unrealistic offers to buy the car I advertised for sale on Craigslist, where the transport cost would exceed the cost of the vehicle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Do you do background checks on students?
    Doesn't everyone?
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Was it in reply to a specific class?

Martinez doesn't sound Nigerian but the poor English is consistent with a foreigner. I'll bet the Prince is going to pay for their training, perhaps you should ask for copies of their Visas.

I would get unrealistic offers to buy the car I advertised for sale on Craigslist, where the transport cost would exceed the cost of the vehicle.
    No, it was a generic email, sent to other undisclosed recipients. I'm on a few instructor lists, as I am sure many others here are also. That is what made me curious about whether others received it, as well. I also advertise locally, but do not include my email addy on local ads.
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Play along and keep posting them, we could all use a good laugh!
    I already spend more than enough time with online endeavors.
    William T. Sherman

Not sure exactly what the scam is, but here is the email I just received:
    Delete.
    OldVet likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links