Defensive Carry banner

4 year old + Drawing of gun = Dad Arrested!!

3K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  babarock 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yep, when I saw that it was a Calgary, Canada newspaper, it said it all.

Let's see....hmmmm.... we could not SECURE the children at the school and drive to the house, secure the home until a warrant is obtained or a consent to search is given?????

Nah...makes too much sense...... let's just lock dad up first and ask more questions later.

I fear for our northern brethren and hope that the ones with some common sense prevail in the end, but right now we can see where America is headed if we allow the ultra liberal gun grabbers to get control and make the rules.

#5 ·
blah, blah, blah, the teacher weedles words from a 4 year old and than phones the police who...

in the days before commen sense was outlawed...

sent a patrolman to the residance and rang the door bell;
asked about the possibility of a gun at the home
and was shown the plastic toy.

the paatrolman would than say "g'day folks" and leave

thats all that needed to happen.
in a sane society

#13 ·
disagree, Ofc. Friendly would never have come out to begin with because there's no (at least in the US) law against owning a firearm*.

*obviously assuming one isn't a prohibited person, but for the sake of this discussion one is legal to own said firearm

#14 ·
And people up there wonder why we here poke fun at Canadians. The nanny state mentality there is even worse than in California or New York, as hard as that is to believe. It's also probably one of the reasons there are nearly as many "Canadians" living in the U.S. as there are in Canada.

On a similar note, we frequently talk about how extreme left liberal and anti 2A a lot of the Hollywood mainstream and other show business people are. It might surprise you (then again, maybe not), but check and see how many of them are from Canada and other Commonwealth countries like Britain and Australia, where there is no 2nd Amendment. Those same countries also don't have a bill of rights like the USA, and instead are generally granted "privileges " by the government, which can be taken away when the government sees fit.

#17 ·
Father arrested for girl's picture of toy gun

Daddy, are you mad at me? Those were the first words out of the mouth of a scared little girl to her father when he was released this week after being charged with possession of a firearm because of a picture she drew at school of a man holding a gun - which turned out to be a toy.

On Wednesday police in Waterloo, Ont., arrested Jessie Sansone, 26, a resident of nearby Kitchener, when a teacher at his daughter's school voiced concern over the drawing, Insp. Kevin Thaler of Waterloo Regional Police told Postmedia News.

The school contacted Family and Children's Services, which then called police, said Thaler.

During questioning, Thaler said the child, along with her siblings, provided police with a "detailed description" of a gun that was stored in the home and was accessed by the children.

"The kids were scared," said Thaler. "It is a four-year-old that we're taking the information from, but the fact is that this disclosure was very descriptive and very alarming to the officers investigating this."

It was a typical day for Sansone, who had no idea when he arrived at Forest Hills school to pick up his children, including four-year-old daughter Neaveh, that three police officers were waiting to arrest him.

Informed he was under arrest for possession of a firearm, Sansone said he never was told the details of why he was being arrested.

Thaler said the arrest was made "because it was the end of a school day."

"The officers' concern was . . . the need to secure and locate the firearm," he said.

While he sat in a police cell, Sansone said officers took his wife, Stephanie, who is pregnant, and his four children to the station for more questioning.

At some point during the investigation, police became aware that the gun was a toy pistol, information that was confirmed when they found it in the family's home later that day, said Thaler.

"The child had every belief it was real," said Thaler. "The indication from the kids was that it was dad's (gun)."

Sansone denied that his children thought the gun was real or belonged to him.

"It's a toy pistol," he said. "It's completely transparent. It doesn't even resemble a real gun, at all."

Police released Sansone about four hours later, said Thaler.

"The first thing my daughter said when I saw her was, 'Daddy are you mad at me?' " recalled Sansone. "That sums it up to me."

On Friday, Sansone said his name has been slandered by the incident. He said he was upset with how all the authorities involved handled it.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Father arrested for girl's picture of toy gun

#19 ·
I think the natives would have made short work out of any Canadians trying to tame the Wild West.

#21 ·
Hard to imagine they helped us win two WW's.
They are getting almost as bad as the stupid Brit's.

My kids see my firearms almost on a daily basis.
They see them as a tool for protection from bad people who MAY want to do our family harm.

The Canuck's got a long way to go to straighten their phobia of firearms.

#22 ·
I've often wondered what would happen if my 9 year old daughter started telling her teacher or something that she goes to the shooting range with Daddy and shoots pistols. Obviously nothing illegal about it, but somehow I bet some people would think that it was.

#23 ·
Dude, you live in Texas. I would like to think that the majority of people in your locale wouldn't bat an eyelash at a father taking his 9 year old daughter to the range. I can tell you around here, nobody would think twice.

Canada, however...

#26 ·
My 12-year-old son stirred-up a big mess at his school here in Alabama because he drew a stick person shooting a gun. They took him to a counselor and asked him if he was planning to kill people at school! He was just bored and drew on his paper. They then called my wife to 'make sure everything was OK at home'.

Geezzzzzz.......

#27 ·
We ain't too far behind here. My 6 yo grandson tells me the teachers won't allow the kids at school to play cops and robbers with "finger pistols" and they can't draw a picture of a gun.

Heaven knows what would happen if the little guy had a pocket knife with him at school as I did when I was in the first grade. Not to mention the uproar that would ensue if a kid today showed up at high school with a rifle or shotgun in the gun rack of his pickup truck like we used to do back in the day (for the record I graduated HS in 1971).

#29 ·
Heaven knows what would happen if the little guy had a pocket knife with him at school as I did when I was in the first grade.
My oldest son did that by accident in high school. The pocket knife (mouse knife?) was so small I almost laughed out loud when the principal showed it to me! My son received two weeks of in-school suspension and had to go to class at the school for young up and comming criminals...

#28 ·
Had an interesting conversation with my 7-yr-old son this morning. He had never noticed my Remora holster before and asked me why I wasn't using my normal holster for the gun. I explained to him that it is against the rules for me to bring my gun to work and that it was easier to leave the gun in the car using the Remora holster. Then he looked genuinely concerned and asked me what would happen if a bad guy came to my work. I told him that I would be out of luck, and would have to hope I could run away.

Then he asked me what I would do if he were there - he sometimes comes to the office. I told him not to worry that I would protect him. Thankfully, he didn't ask any more probing questions. Because I wouldn't have had a good answer.

How does this relate to this thread? As with others who have posted, my kids are obviously well aware that I carry, and understand the reason why. So my kids wouldn't think anything of drawing someone with a gun. I guess it exposes me to a bunch of problems if the subject ever comes up at school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.