"Luger" style pistol.. worth the purchase?

"Luger" style pistol.. worth the purchase?

This is a discussion on "Luger" style pistol.. worth the purchase? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today and yesterday at the gunshow... I was attracted to some pistols that I was told were no longer in production. They were of the ...

Thread: "Luger" style pistol.. worth the purchase?

Question "Luger" style pistol.. worth the purchase?

Today and yesterday at the gunshow... I was attracted to some pistols that I was told were no longer in production. They were of the same STYLE as the pistols commonly referred to as a "Luger". Its a handgun with the barrel protruding by itself from the muzzle.. unlike common semi's that have the bottom part of the slide underneath. He had approximately 20 of these handguns, selling them IIRC .. at around $180.00. Most were in a condition between 60% and 70%. I was interested in investing in one of these, although I passed this time to gain further information prior to purchase. I BELIEVE they MAY have been made by Walther, although now I have a serious brain fart and I am not sure at all. (I looked at thousands of guns, next time ill take a pen and paper!)
    Is this a good investment or a waste of time? I already know a lot of answers will say "depends on what make and model/ manufacture it is", but in general, is this a good investment? Or does it depend on what model/make the gun is?

--Note, Here is a link to a pistol shaped exactly the same way, not necessarily the SAME MODEL AND MAKE, same general design.

http://julia.hanovercomputer.com/fir...ages/50461.jpg
    Last edited by floridaguy911; August 27th, 2006 at 09:38 PM.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Hard to miss at $180! If it functions, it should be well worth that.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Lead Moderator
    investment or shooter. If it was worth any real collector value it would probably reflect it in the price tag.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    investment or shooter. If it was worth any real collector value it would probably reflect it in the price tag.
    For -Investment or collectors item were on my mind when I was looking at them. They were cheap (i thought)- because you can tell they have been used, I think possibly police or military.. in 60-75% condition, ALL having wearmarks in identical places, of near the same amounts. Near the muzzle, some scratches.. etc.

--added-- For shooters I usually prefer newer weapons, not antique or out of production models.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Assistant Administrator
    I have over the years seen a few Luger clones - and forget the manufacturers but - in this case it'd seem wise to not consider any investment factors but concentrate on the shooting aspect.

If an example appears mechanically sound, and bore OK, then for that sort of price not too big a gamble to get a fun shooter. Cosmetics don't matter a whole lot.

I would expect tho not to use +P thru one of those - only std vel ammo.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    I would pass on any unknown Luger wannabe clone even at $180.00...just my opinion on it that I'd keep right on walking.

What are you going to for magazines & what if it needs parts? You'll have flushed $200 down the toi toi.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    For -Investment or collectors item were on my mind when I was looking at them. They were cheap (i thought)- because you can tell they have been used, I think possibly police or military.. in 60-75% condition, ALL having wearmarks in identical places, of near the same amounts. Near the muzzle, some scratches.. etc.
    When you start seeing "wearmarks in identical places, of near the same amounts" immediately think of machine aging. These are probably not used items, they are new made to look used and to sell as used. They are probably just junk with manufactured wear to convince you that they have been used. It is a standard ploy for selling many items not just guns. You know, obviously they work they were used, the low price because they are used. In reality they are case pot metal that not only have not been used, they could not be used. Probably cost less than $5 to make in China. With shipping and everything else combined the dealer is still probably making $50 or more on each. These people who will do this irritate me no end.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Was it perhaps a Walther P38? That description, price and quantity for sale sounds appropriate for that gun.

Assistant Administrator
    You make a valid point George - I was thinking back to seeing some totally useable and viable clones a ways back.

Would not doubt tho for one minute there is genuine crapolla being sold!! Caveat Emptor as ever.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sounds like a Walther P1 (which is basically the post WWII version of the P38 ... only with an aluminum alloy frame instead of steel).

Not real valuable as far as collecting (the WWII and earlier P38s are where the colectors value is at).

You can read about the P38 here http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg68-e.htm

$180 doesn't sound too bad for a P1 ... I've seen them that cheap before.

But they should make for decent plinkers (just stay away from +P and +P+ ammo).

Sponsored Links