Anyone know somewhere to get AR550 steel plates?

This is a discussion on Anyone know somewhere to get AR550 steel plates? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not exactly sure if this is the right section for this or not. But I'm currently on the hunt to find some AR550 steel ...

Thread: Anyone know somewhere to get AR550 steel plates?

Anyone know somewhere to get AR550 steel plates?

I'm not exactly sure if this is the right section for this or not. But I'm currently on the hunt to find some AR550 steel plates or gongs around a 10-12 inches in size. I would also like the thicker 1/2 inch size if that's even possible to find. I just want the plates with two holes in them for mounting to chains. I can find the AR500 all over the place but I'm just wanting something that will last a VERY long time. Much appreciation for any help!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you have someone who supplies steel for the construction trade around you you may be able to either have them make what you want or have them order it for you. Here is the type of place we have near me I have ordered from or have had things made. As an example I took in a rough drawing for a set of tines to fit in the bucket of my tractor, they took the drawing and with a few adjustments made what I needed.

Griffin Steel & Supply
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Maybe these folks? Arntzen Targets

Or this - Mag Rifle Gong 10 Round Target AR-550 Steel White

Or try to contact Caldwell directly.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Targets - NevcoTargets.com

Create-a-target
    (Life being too short to not have the choice of what to shoot at, we have come up with a solution. Below is a list of targets that are compatible with our Steel Challenge bases and top caps as well as separate pricing. You can use these with your existing Challenge equipment or purchase bases and top caps for these specifically. Purchase a set (one target, one base and one top cap) and take off 10%! As always, all of the target surfaces are 3/8 AR500 steel and we recommend all of them except for the eight inch plate for rifle fire under 3000 feet per second.)
    8 inch 3/8 AR500 round plate
    10 inch 3/8 AR500 round plate
    12 inch 3/8 AR500 round plate
    18x24 inch 3/8 AR500 rectangular plate
    15 inch 3/8 AR500 silhouette
    Steel Challenge base
    Steel Challenge top cap $32.00
    $42.00
    $60.00
    $165.00
    $70.00
    $52.00
    $12.50

I bouhght a 4x8 sheet of AR550 from a local steel fabricator. He also cut it for me. It doesn't cut or weld easily.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Round Target Head - Target Heads

This is the only company I know of that sells pre-made targets out of 550 EDIT: they aren't the only. They give you the option of going with AR500, or adding a certain amount (20 bucks maybe?) and making it heavy duty 550.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Links