distance you practice from?

This is a discussion on distance you practice from? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I'm new to ccw and have been shooting my SA XD40 at the range ,practicing. I recently bought a S&W 442 38Special and went ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: distance you practice from?

Hello, I'm new to ccw and have been shooting my SA XD40 at the range ,practicing. I recently bought a S&W 442 38Special and went and shot it today. i was really humbled when i shot this 38, it was harder to shoot than i thought, compared to my XD. My question is the range i shot at won't let you shoot closer than 25 yds, and to me this is ridiculous for this guns practicallity. I would assume 15-20 ft at the most, not 75ft. What are your thoughts on this? I need to find a place where i can start closer and then move the target out farther once i get used to the gun. I hope i never have to use it but i don't believe i'd ever shoot out that far with this 38. thanks for any advice and input. Randy

I'm practicing for self defense. So at the indoor range it's 3-10 yards. Outside I'll go zero to 10. I don't get out past 10 much with handguns. Out to 5 yrds I rarely use sights either. You'll get plenty of different answers though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

10 yards max. I'm practicing SELF DEFENSE, not marksmanship. For that I have a rifle and a proper 5 inch 1911. :)
    Diddle likes this.

VIP Member
    Yes, you will need to find another range. while long distance handgun shooting can be fun and challenging, it has little bearing on what you are trying to do. Bad breath to 5 yards is your "working" range in most situations.

Also, try to find a location that allows movement and presentation from the holster.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

On my own I practice out to 12 yards but with work I have to practice out to 25 in order to qualify.

I practice from about 7 to 10 yards. But the open range I use you can shoot from where ever you choose. And the 7 to 10 yards work for me.

I carry a Sig sauer 40 and SA XD 9mm--both work well at 25 yards but my normal self defense practice outdoors is between 5 and 21 feet. I also practice with a Ruger LCR 357/38--a nice concealeable revolver but that little guy hurts---very accurate at close range, say 0 to21 feet. Would give my left foot for an indoor range--hard to shoot in minus degree weather.

VIP Member
    Well different strokes for different folks I guess.

I start at 25 yards or farther and work my way in depending on the weapon at that moment. If I have the fundementals down to be accurate at that distance then everything closer is just gravy. I am not knocking anyone who only trains close in to each his own just remember though that the bad guy might not have read the stats on the distances for shootings and may choose to engage you or take a loved one hostage at 21 yards and not 21 feet so you had better be prepared to engage at that distance.

You never know what you are going to be facing. Do I shoot my compact 9mm or .38 snub at 75 yards on a regular basis? Nope, but I have just to see what they or I have to do to hit something at that range. I realize that many are restricted due to ranges and so on but if you practice outside the box the chances of you being surprised or overwhelmed will/can go down a lot.

Just an opinion
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Three to ten yards...lots of point shooting, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Defensive shooting practice, 3-10 yards.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

7 yards, but only because it's the local ranges' minimum : (
    If I had a choice, it'd be between 3-15 yards with movement, multiple targets, double taps and rapid fire, holster draws.
    I can double tap at one of the ranges, but it only has 6 lanes and usually about an hours wait in line.
    I'll get my ideal practice when I can get out to my Father's land in central VA. I can shoot however I please there.

You are absolutely correct and I do but for this blog I stuck to the close range ritual.

I mostly shoot 25'.Sometimes I go 50 just to see if I can get some on the paper.But 25 mostly.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "...the range i shot at won't let you shoot closer than 25 yds, and to me this is ridiculous for this guns practicallity..."

You get decent at 25 yds and you'll be fine at 15 ft. My local outdoor handgun range is set up for 15 & 25 yds. I always use the 15 yd distance, adn the 7 yd distance at the local indoor range is a piece of cake.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    2-70 yards regularly, out to 100 less-frequently.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links