Whos dumped a 642/442 for an LCP???

This is a discussion on Whos dumped a 642/442 for an LCP??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; the advantage to "dumping" your 442/642 for the LCP is - 7shots vs 5shots,faster reloads,weighs only 9.4ozs,easier to conceal...advantage the 442/642 has,slightly more power....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Whos dumped a 642/442 for an LCP???

the advantage to "dumping" your 442/642 for the LCP is - 7shots vs 5shots,faster reloads,weighs only 9.4ozs,easier to conceal...advantage the 442/642 has,slightly more power.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I can fully understand different choices for different people. But what on earth is unreliable about an LCP that I would like to hear.
    There 3 of them around this house with a lot of rounds through them Unreliable is not a word I would ever attach to them.
    There are a lot of people on this forum that have excellent success with the LCP. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

I find the revolver easier to shoot, just as easy to hide, and it has yet to let me down when I pull the trigger.

My LCP regularly malfunctions. I suspect that something is wrong and I should send it back. But, I'd rather sell it for another snub. After carrying and shooting both, I simply prefer a small wheelgun to a mini semi-automatic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

RKM
    While it's not an LCP, I dumped my P3AT for a 442. Couldn't be happier. The P3AT was not even close to reliable enough for me. I didn't want to have to do all the tricks and remedies to fix problems that shouldn't exist. I thought about going with an LCP, but from reading, I've heard they're not much better. Sure people have luck with them, but as a whole, they're just not reliable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    There are a lot of people on this forum that have excellent success with the LCP. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

I find the revolver easier to shoot, just as easy to hide, and it has yet to let me down when I pull the trigger.

My LCP regularly malfunctions. I suspect that something is wrong and I should send it back. But, I'd rather sell it for another snub. After carrying and shooting both, I simply prefer a small wheelgun to a mini semi-automatic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    100% agreement on revolvers the reason I have an extra LC9 is wife hand could no longer work the slide she now has an outstanding S&W 38 BodyGuard.
    revolvers are often over looked as shooters go right to an AUTO.
    The LCP is a fine weapon as are every Ruger you should call and have them send you a shipping label and they will fix it. Even if it sits in the box it should work and Ruger will take care of you.
    I have a long list of their weapons I would bet my life on any of them.
    I was kind of hoping she would not like that S&W 38 I could see me slipping in the the jacket at times when My SR9C needed to stay home.

I dumped a 642 for a Ruger LCR .357, does that count?

While I am sure the LCP is a fine gun for many people (my wife has one and she is pleased with it), but to me the LCP just doesn't feel like a real gun. The reason we carry is the possibility that we might need to use the gun. Given that, I would much rather have a 5 shot .38 Special (or in my case .357 Magnum) than a 7-shot .380 with no sights to speak of. Plus, I just don't trust super-small automatics, anything smaller than the subcompact Glock size range is suspect IMO.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    I dumped a 642 for a Ruger LCR .357, does that count?

While I am sure the LCP is a fine gun for many people (my wife has one and she is pleased with it), but to me the LCP just doesn't feel like a real gun. The reason we carry is the possibility that we might need to use the gun. Given that, I would much rather have a 5 shot .38 Special (or in my case .357 Magnum) than a 7-shot .380 with no sights to speak of. Plus, I just don't trust super-small automatics, anything smaller than the subcompact Glock size range is suspect IMO.
    the O in IMO is what makes forums go round & round

there is the 351pd and if one has hands that wont take the beating some larger, or smaller, lighter power packages deliver--
    and if one can place shots with consistancy; be they 7 22mags or 6 32 H&R mags or 5 38s or even 357's---if you can control it--

than S&W makes one for you. save some money and get less for it buying bargins; your choice.
    small semi's may have reliability issues or the perception of.

i find the plastic revolver twist oddly in my hand and the trigger is more glock than revolver.
    but they sell enough that it is a gun many make room in their carry rotation for.

not me, but thats just IMO
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    the O in IMO is what makes forums go round & round

there is the 351pd and if one has hands that wont take the beating some larger, or smaller, lighter power packages deliver--
    and if one can place shots with consistancy; be they 7 22mags or 6 32 H&R mags or 5 38s or even 357's---if you can control it--

than S&W makes one for you. save some money and get less for it buying bargins; your choice.
    small semi's may have reliability issues or the perception of.

i find the plastic revolver twist oddly in my hand and the trigger is more glock than revolver.
    but they sell enough that it is a gun many make room in their carry rotation for.

not me, but thats just IMO
    I would have happily upgraded from a 642 to a M&P340, but the 340 was about $250 more than the LCR .357, and offered no real advantage over it as best as I could tell. The LCR actually had a better trigger than the 340, despite the fact that S&W revolvers generally offer better triggers than Ruger revolvers.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

If size is the issue rather than caliber why not just drop down to a NAA .22 mini revolver? 'Bout the size of a zippo lighter with five rounds. If you're close enough, I'd go for the tactic of jamming it in his eye and pulling the trigger. OR you could show it to him and watch him laugh himself to death. I have an NAA and I rarely carry it unless as a backup to my 642. I much prefer to carry my Glock M30 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I dumped my 380 for a 442

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    the advantage to "dumping" your 442/642 for the LCP is - 7shots vs 5shots,faster reloads,weighs only 9.4ozs,easier to conceal...advantage the 442/642 has,slightly more power.
    More importantly....the 442/642 always go bang. You cannot say that about an auto. And IMO the snubs are easier/and friendlier to shoot under pressure.
    bmcgilvray and Richard58 like this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

why would you dump a 642 for anything? That's classic, man. Except for the stupid Hillary Hole, of course.

I dumped my LCP for a glock 26; Lost faith in the 380 as a defense round

I'd give the .380 automatic the heave-ho long before I'd give up any J-Frame .38 Special revolver.
    azchevy and wmhawth like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

For the price of the LCP I would keep the wheel gun and get the LCP for those times when you really need a small gun. The only time I carry my LCP is when I'm dressed up without a jacket or at the beach. The LCP is a great beach companion, it's small and will fit in my trunks when I leave the campground to go shopping at the grocery store.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'd give the .380 automatic the heave-ho long before I'd give up any J-Frame .38 Special revolver.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links