Whos dumped a 642/442 for an LCP???

This is a discussion on Whos dumped a 642/442 for an LCP??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought the 642 first. Then bought the LCP. I still own both and believe both have their place. I do carry the LCp more. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Whos dumped a 642/442 for an LCP???

I bought the 642 first. Then bought the LCP. I still own both and believe both have their place. I do carry the LCp more.

I also shoot LCp better. Less felt recoil in the LCp also.

2. Remove Ads

I would never part with my LCP,, Just sayin. It's just to darn handy to drop in the old front pocket.
    lowercase and rigel42 like this.

VIP Member
    I had a P3AT that I traded for 642. I decided I missed the P3AT and ended up with an LCP- that I never carried. When the normal gun wouldn't work I still carried the 642. I traded the LCP for a PF9, and now that gets the bulk of the pocket carry work, though there are times when the 642 is still the right answer. For a backup weapon on duty the 642 has been on my ankle since the day I got it. Before it I carried a K-frame snub on my ankle. I don't know why but I just feel like there should be a revolver there when I'm on duty.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

My wife carries a 642 with the large CT grip. This makes it too large and sticky to pocket carry...plus IMHO it's about twice the size of the LCP, If I'm going to carry a pistol that large I'd pick out one of the single stack 9's (938, shield, nano).

The beauty of the LCP is it works, it's accurate, and it's small.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I could never trade a LW .38 revolver for a small .380. I prefer a Colt Agent or Cobra but there is nothing wrong with Smith's 642, 442, 638 or 438.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    No more Sig 380 here. Traded on a 40..... But the 638 is nearly always with me. I've got a ton of 380 ammo that my wife will eventually shoot up in her little Bersa. A kydex pocket holster for the snubbie and out the door. I found that the 638 in pocket and a 40 Shield IWB is a nice combo. But I struggle getting the extra mag for the 40 to feed in the 638.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I got rid of a 642 in favor of the Taurus TCP. Had both, saw no point in keeping the 642.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

I dumped my J frame for a Ruger LCR. But as a BUG I use a KelTec P3AT.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

No way am I trading a 38 airweight j frame for anything.
    lowercase and JDE101 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    No way am I trading a 38 airweight j frame for anything.
    Maybe for a nice Colt Cobra or an Agent?

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I dumped my J frame for a Ruger LCR. But as a BUG I use a KelTec P3AT.
    I also dumped my Smith and Wesson 642 for a Ruger LCR. The Ruger has better sights, a much better trigger, better grips (Hogues) and is lighter. It's mostly that Ruger trigger that won me over and in a small revolver the trigger action is Very important.

As a side note.....I gave up on trying to find a reliable 380acp pistol a LONG time ago. Many are unreliable, the ammuniton is expensive, and the ballistics of the round are below that of a 38+p round. I'd go with a 9mm (Glock 26) or the Ruger LCR.

I already had a 642 (2008 no-lock model), and then picked up an LCP in 2011.

I like and carry both, and have even carried both at the same time with the 642 riding OWB and the LCP holstered in a coat breast pocket.

Each has its place, but I do carry the 642 a LOT more.

I wouldn't say I dumped my 442 for an LCP, but it has replaced it as my small carry gun. One reason is that if I can carry something the size and weight of my 442, then I just opt for my G26 instead. I also shoot the LCP much better than my 442 with the stock grips, the trigger reach on it is just too short for me with an uncovered backstrap and while I can shoot it fine with larger grips they make it even bigger and heavier.

I carried a friend's 638 J-frame for 4 months while looking for a good deal on a 442. It took a while because 442's are scarce around here. In the end I decided I'd rather have a Bodyguard 380 even though a 442 showed up at my LGS. So I guess you could say I dumped a 442 for a Bodyguard 380. The 380 is smaller, lighter, easier to shoot with less recoil and better sights, and more accurate (in my hands anyway). Since my main carry is a Shield, the Bodyguard has the added benefit of having the same layout and operation, which could be a very important factor if ever faced with a BG. I prefer the Bodyguard 380 over the LCP because it has better sights and a laser is included, which I find helpful for checking my aim while pulling the trigger.

Love my 442. Would not get rid of it unless I absolutely had to.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links