giving a firearm to a family member

This is a discussion on giving a firearm to a family member within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in washington state. and I want to give a pistol that I already own to my brother. I have a concealed carry licence ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By HotGuns

Thread: giving a firearm to a family member

I live in washington state. and I want to give a pistol that I already own to my brother. I have a concealed carry licence but he does not have one, he is over the age of 21 and I beleive he has no restrictions on owning a firearm. I guess my question is can I just drive to his house and give him the pistol and that be the end of it, or do we have to go into the local dealer and fill out paper work for a transfer.

It shouldn't be a problem in the same state, but out of state is a different story.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As long as your brother is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, and you follow the laws of both states, you should be able to make a gift of it without any paperwork trail.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Regardless of who you give it to, I'd still recommend doing the legal paperwork to transfer ownership just to protect yourself in the event it was ever stolen and/or misused with your name remaining as its registered owner.

If it is a "forever" gift in some states, the recipient may also have a difficult time in legally selling the weapon at some point in the future unless he/she is its registered owner or manages to keep a signed document of "sale or gift".

There's also the sad thought that someone to whom you gave a weapon (without the legal transfer of ownership paperwork) could possibly become legally ineligible to own a firearm in the future and is later caught with one (in your name) in his/her possession with no proof that you gave or sold it to them before they became ineligible.

Senior Moderator
    Go for it, it is perfectley legal to give a firearm to someone as a gift.

Dont "what if it" to death, or your head will explode.

I guess my question is can I just drive to his house and give him the pistol and that be the end of it, or do we have to go into the local dealer and fill out paper work for a transfer.
    Do you have to register guns in Washington State? If there is no requirement to do so then you wont be able to fill out paperwork from a dealer.They will look at you and ask if you are crazy. A transfer, only occurs from the dealer to the customer...thus the 4473 Form. It is not required for a gift. It is not required for a private sale. It is not required unless you have an FFL.

There's also the sad thought that someone to whom you gave a weapon (without the legal transfer of ownership paperwork) could possibly become legally ineligible to own a firearm in the future and is later caught with one (in your name) in his/her possession with no proof that you gave or sold it to them before they became ineligible.
    The only way to "get caught"with one is if it was listed as stolen in the first place.Since it will be given as a gift, then there is no getting caught with it.
    atctimmy, bmcgilvray and tbrenke like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I sure hope it ok I gave everyone over 21 a gun for Christmas 2011.
    No big deal IMO Might be a good idea to do a transfers on pare and lock it away just for your own records then when you die it goes in the trash.

VIP Member
    I give guns away on a regular basis to loved ones. Just do it.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I bought my cousin a small .380 last Christmas (shortly after she turned 21) and I got a lot of similar questions from family members. "Won't it be registered to you?" I had to explain that there is no such thing as gun registration in Texas and that it was perfectly legal and even said so right on the form I had to fill out when I bought the gun. I explained that if the gun was ever found in a crime, they would find out who bought it from Academy, and come knocking on my door. Then I'd explain I gave it to my cousin and they'd go knock on her door.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    I came up with this for Wa. state,

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf

From link above;

Pistol/ Revolver
    Private Disposition/ Transfer
    This form may be voluntarily submitted by the seller or transferor to report the sale, transfer of ownership, loss, or other disposition of a pistol or revolver. RCW 9.41

And from this site; WA State Licensing: Firearms Purchase/Delivery Requirements

I found this;

Firearms purchase/delivery requirements
    Handgun purchase without CPL Handgun purchase with CPL Rifle or shotgun purchase with or without CPL
    State application to transfer pistol or revolver required Yes Yes No
    Federal form 4473 firearms transaction record by dealer Yes Yes Yes
    Local LEA conducts background check, including federal disqualifiers under NICS Yes LEA conducts all other background checks except for NICS check No
    Firearms Dealer conducts NICS for instant check prior to the delivery No Yes Yes
    Delivery 5-days, or upon approval of the law enforcement agency Upon notification of approval from NICS center Upon notification of approval from NICS center

Definitions
    CPL - Concealed Pistol License
    LEA – Law Enforcement Agency
    NICS – National Instant Criminal Background Check System

I would call your local authority, (in Mi) its the Mi. State Police, in Wa. IDK who it is and ask ,cause between these sites the info looks conflicting.

One almost leads one to believe you don't have to fill out paperwork for the transfer, and the other is looking like you do.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Pistol/ Revolver
    Private Disposition/ Transfer
    This form may be voluntarily submitted by the seller or transferor to report the sale, transfer of ownership, loss, or other disposition of a pistol or revolver. RCW 9.41

Keyword "voluntarily".

If you can in your state go with having a transfer written out and signed and stick it in you own storage area. If all goes well when you die there is no more paper trail on it. If it does not go well you have a peace of paper

There is no regastration in WA. Make out a bill of sale (for your records 0$ exchanged as it is a gift) and call it good. private sales/gifts are still legal in the US for the time being.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Sponsored Links