PF9 got some nasty surface rust. Time for some coating?

This is a discussion on PF9 got some nasty surface rust. Time for some coating? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My PF9 is my BUG and my shorts carry gun that pretty much goes where I go... it never leaves it's little remora holster, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PF9 got some nasty surface rust. Time for some coating?

PF9 got some nasty surface rust. Time for some coating?

My PF9 is my BUG and my shorts carry gun that pretty much goes where I go...

it never leaves it's little remora holster, but always ready for action...

well about a week ago, I painted the sight dots with some glo-on to make them glow in the dark and 're-whiten' them

during the cleaning of the sights (which I used rubbing alcohol) I must have gotten some on the slide or something

because when I took it out today to wipe down the gun with my tuf cloth, I was shocked to see it was rusted!!!!!

I freaked out and was getting ready to email tuf cloth until I remembered that the rubbing alcohol must have gotten on the slide and wiped the damn protectant stuff away...

I immideatly got my weapon shield oil and tried to wipe down the surface rust with a sponge, and somehow it took off the crappy coating on the PF9, so now it's like showing bare metal almost...

so it looks like it's time to duracoat (or some other coating) the slide... I came here asking for suggestions. I could probably do some kind of a basic DIY (as long as it's easy to do, I live in an apt) or get some other ideas (maybe like take it to a gunsmith for them to coat it themselves) to save this gun. my PF9 isn't supposed to be a pretty gun. I just need it 110% reliable and rust isn't going to help. so some duracoat should help I think...

can you guys give me suggestions on how to save this slide? I'm assuming you only paint the outside (ie, you mask under/insides of the slide and breech face) and take out the sights, the extractor and spray away?

I see duracoat's website has some DIY kit. has anyone used this? should this work? DuraCoat Shake N Spray

that being said here are the pictures.

any help on saving this slide is appreciated :)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would contact Kel Tec and show them the slide.(send them pics).
    They may send you a new one.The firearm is warranted for life.
    If not, they may have you send it to them, and they may refinish it for you in a coating of your choosing.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I had a Sig that developed rust on the slide quite often. I used RIG grease and a RIG rag, and it prevented it from ever happening again. I realize this doesn't help you after the fact, but it may help someone else.

I agree on contacting the manufacturer. If not Duracoat should be a good way to go. I'm a wimp at DIY on stuff like this, so I looked into having it done by a professional. If your handy you should be able to handle it. As I understand it, the prep work makes all of the difference.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

if you decide to get it coated, Kentucky Gun Coatings will Cerakote it for $45. I've got a slide there now and can't testify of their quality yet but he was suggested to me by another member here that was happy with his gun. ($45 is for slide only and single/solid color of your choice).

If Kel-Tec leaves you hanging, being that you're in Florida I'd suggest the Cerakote finishes that you can find at Brownell's. My first thought was Parkerizing, since that's easily managed by the amateur gunsmith, but that still falls short of the corrosion protection you need. Your choice of bake-on or air-dry - look here: Brownells Search : Gunsmith Tools & Supplies : Metal Prep & Coloring - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Cerakote is a much more durable coating than Duracote. I had 4Bush Refinishing system Cerakote two shotgun barrels that I use for duck hunting. They coating has held up remarkably well in the field (lakes, sea shore, etc).

4Bush Weapon Refinishing
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Alcohol is bad stuff on bluing ....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Administrator
    KelTec they use the cheapest "whatever it is" to dip finish their slides.

My factory slide finsh wore off and was showing major bare spots after only about a week. I didn't have that rusting though. Just bare metal.

I'm looking at your firearm and I'm thinking trapped moisture inside the holster or sweat.

Regardless you can repair that fairly easily.

Carefully sand your entire slide with some 3M Wet or Dry paper. Use like 400 grit. Be careful not to round off your cocking serrations. Fold up some 3M paper to fit inside those serration grooves.

Follow the directions for the application of Brownell's OXPHO BLUE - Pour some into a shallow dish or plastic lid so that you don't contaminate the contents of your bottle.
    Apply it with fine steel wool.

Repeat a few times using fine steel wool between coats and then reapply your gun oil.

The OXPHO BBLUE Cold Blue is much more durable than that factory KelTec finish.

I'll mention it to keltec, but to be honest I think I'm better off spending the money and just getting it refinished with something better.

That cerakote looks great. this might also give me the oppurtunity to try another color on the slide like that awesome tungsten or the 'sniper grey' colors.

the 4bush weapon refinishing looks like a good place. I just kind of a need a 'quick' turn around because like I said, this is my BUG for work. I'd be without my BUG until it arrives

hell, this cerakote looks so good, I might get my Taurus 1911 done too! I love that pistol, but it has a weak ass finish on it as well.

I say it is a lack of gun maintenance. Rust does not happen overnight. More to the story. I'd point the blame to KelTec...couldn't have been me. Bush's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    if you decide to get it coated, Kentucky Gun Coatings will Cerakote it for $45. I've got a slide there now and can't testify of their quality yet but he was suggested to me by another member here that was happy with his gun. ($45 is for slide only and single/solid color of your choice).
    What did they say about turn around time?

and do I have to dissemble the slide to send it in?

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    I say it is a lack of gun maintenance. Rust does not happen overnight. More to the story. But i am stupid so whatever.
    didn't happen overnight. It happened in 4 days :)

and it actually can happen overnight, FYI

you do realize though I'm not asking why it happened... I already know why. and I'm at fault for it. I'm asking about coating options.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    didn't happen overnight. It happened in 4 days :)

and it actually can happen overnight, FYI

you do realize though I'm not asking why it happened... I already know why. and I'm at fault for it. I'm asking about coating options.
    Yes, you are right it would happen if you use black powder or corrosive primers...or dropped it in the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    Yes, you are right it would happen if you use black powder or corrosive primers...or dropped it in the ocean.
    I think it was the alcohol making contact with the slide and taking off the tuf coat I had on it, and with my body sweat/FL humidity taking it's toll on it very fast. Everything happens for a reason. as much as I don't care how the keltec looks, the cerakote does look really nice, and makes me wanna get my whole 1911 coated with it.

either way, looks like I'll be going with cerakote.

get rid of the inferior kel-tec. Get a Glock. I do daily maintenance to my carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links