One gun to save them all....

This is a discussion on One gun to save them all.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Either Desert Eagle KIT (.50AE, .357Mag, AND .44Mag- Split the ammo 3K .50, 3K .44, 4K .357 ) Or a .22lr revolver with 5-6" barrel. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: One gun to save them all....

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Either Desert Eagle KIT (.50AE, .357Mag, AND .44Mag- Split the ammo 3K .50, 3K .44, 4K .357 )

Or a .22lr revolver with 5-6" barrel. Lightweight, light/small ammo, and pretty accurate while still being concealable.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

I've seen most of the responses I'd expect. (even the HiPoint, Hiram!)

Let's change it up a bit... sorry, I know that's not fair... these scenarios always change in the middle....

1. There will be no parts available to keep it running smoothly... and it must last 10 years... There will be enough oil and patches for you to keep it pretty clean... but no replacement parts and no reloading of shells (10K round limit).
    2. Due to the nature of the apocalypse... everyone (who survives) has pretty much the same weapon... And while some are greedy and lazy... the "firepower" playing field is pretty level...
    3. You may (very likely) be traveling with it/carrying it most of the time. And if you travel it will be primitive; by foot, maybe horseback, maybe bicycle... motorized vehicles are very very rare...

Does that change anything in your choice?

I guess what I'm looking for is the "last ditch" gun. Which, due to the extreme conditions, is not maintained in pristine condition, there aren't any parts for it... but your 10K ammo is safe and will function (99.8% of the time).
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Can't believe I'm the first to say Remington 870!

Didn't specify if the 10k rounds were all EXACTLY the same... so I'll take 3333 "00", 3333 Birdshot, and 3334 slugs.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Then for sure it would be the Huldra . Does not know what a failure is. Unlike normal AR/M4 it does not get dirty when firing gas piston rod is self cleaning. Light weight easy to carry.
    Will use any AR/M4 mag you can find. It is not fussy about things like that.
    You can take care of things up close or long before they see you. You can save ammo with pinpoint shots or take out the group.
    Huldra » Rifles » Huldra 5.56 X-PRE 1

Huldra » Rifles » Huldra 5.56 X-PRE 1
    Oh no! How ridiculous! Mounting sights on the side on the AR? Is this the latest tacti-cool fad? Of course this calls for ambi-set mounted on the left side of the AR. Just in case one needs to do weak side shooting due to a disabled right arm. And what about the bottom of the rifle? Does it require a set of sights too?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    12 Gauge pump with mixed ammo. Some bird shoot, some 00 buck and some slugs.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Any semi-auto shotgun, or a KSG.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

My glock 29.... powerful enough to hunt with in a pinch... and easy enough to conceal.

"There will be no parts available to keep it running smoothly... and it must last 10 years... There will be enough oil and patches for you to keep it pretty clean... but no replacement parts..."

A case could be made for a 98 Mauser military rifle or a derivative thereof under these circumstances.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't know... and that's why I'm asking this question... I tend to think that even the most reliable semi auto has enough moving parts to make it questionable for long term survival... 10,000 rounds is quite a few. Not that it's not possible or likely to be reliable for that many rounds. Heck, I know of a HiPoint that was sent in after 22,000 and rebuilt (working flawlessly along the way).

Assuming a conservative average of 1,000 rounds annually (not much to spare for "practice" when nothing would be replaced)... that's 10 years. 10 years of not ideal care, 10 years of lugging it around, 10 years of the mud, the blood, and the beer... there would be beer, right?

Anyway... in my head the simpler the better... A single shot? A bolt action? The most likely to last... Would that be an AR? A Glock? A revolver? A single shot shotgun? A bolt action rifle? An old Mosin (already lasted half a century or more) Probably not a Huldra... Somebody reads too much sales literature.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I chose mine based on the following criteria you proposed:

limited and or no maintenance

runs dirty and with lack of lube if necessary

lube with dirty motor oil if I have to

not many people are going to be wandering around in public with a rifle so I felt the handgun was the best all around platform as it is concealable and I like to be grey....

I think in your day before the apocalypse scenario I would already be trained with it and therefore in an effort to conserve ammo and wear and tear, I would only practice drawing and aiming with it as opposed to shooting it. I would reserve the shooting to self defense, hunting, and limited target practice. Especially if I have to go 10 years in an uncharted world with it...

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I chose mine based on the following criteria you proposed:

limited and or no maintenance

runs dirty and with lack of lube if necessary

lube with dirty motor oil if I have to

not many people are going to be wandering around in public with a rifle so I felt the handgun was the best all around platform as it is concealable and I like to be grey....

I think in your day before the apocalypse scenario I would already be trained with it and therefore in an effort to conserve ammo and wear and tear, I would only practice drawing and aiming with it as opposed to shooting it. I would reserve the shooting to self defense, hunting, and limited target practice. Especially if I have to go 10 years in an uncharted world with it...
    Fair enough... you have answered all the questions... wouldn't be my choice.. but you have supported yours.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    my kimber gold match has run over 45k rounds in 14 years. and i know it can go 10k between bbl springs.
    it is bullseye accurate in 45acp and with its 22 upper.
    with its grip mounted red-dot it is all i need out to 100 yards against rabbits or people.
    i'll ask for half my ammo in each caliber.

if not that, than a S&W 34 4" 22lr that i would use to hunt with till i could procure a different gun with it...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Give me open acreage and a howitzer. Something like a TRF1.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Can I change the Hi Point? I'd keep the one I'm wearing, it's got a few years on it, and has functioned great. SA XD40 SC.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links