Defensive Carry banner

Your Worst Gun

18K views 131 replies 115 participants last post by  chuckusaret 
#1 ·
On impulse, I bought a shiny new Jimenez .380 to give to my girlfriend for Christmas. She'd only been shooting once before, and didn't seem that thrilled with it, but I thought a pretty gun of her very own would get her excited about going to the range (I was right, FWIW). So I saw this thing sitting on a table at a gun show, and imagined her opening it on Christmas morning. The price tag was well below $200, so I decided to go for it. I'd never heard of Jimenez Arms before, but I thought, As long as it doesn't blow up in my hand, it's fine. She is not in a position to be CC'ing for a while, and when/if she decides she wants to, I knew we'd look at getting her something more reliable.

After getting this "gem" home and doing a bit of research, I discovered the ugly history of this particular pistol. One afternoon at the range, and it has been sitting in its box ever since. My LGS wouldn't even give me $20 store credit for it (unfired). At least I got some nice brownie points. Of course, now she expects a replacement, and the ones she likes are not cheap.

What was your worst gun purchase?

#57 ·
No "worsts" here.
Kel Tec P11 is the cheapest, but was bought with a specific carry intent, for which it serves ideally.
Goes bang everytime me AND the rest of the neighborhood squeeze the trigger.

#58 ·
Back in the 80s is when I started buying guns. Knowing nothing about them I had my goods and bads.

Very first gun is the Jennings .22. Goes bang every time it doesn't jam or FTE which is very often. Took it back for exchange but the GS didn't have any more so I got a Raven .25 instead. Great shooter, reliable and accurate at 25 yards. Later I picked up an FIE Titan .25. Another great shooter, not as accurate as the Raven though.

Picked up a Dakota six shooter in .357. A copy of 1873 Calvary pistol and is a POS. Breaks too many parts that it's useless.

Picked up a Star PD in .38 Super. Great shooter but the rounds are hard to find and only can get reloads at the range. Got rid of it.

They're all gone but now I have a PF9 and a Sigma 9 and they're both great. :danceban:

#62 ·
1st post here Hi to all.
Any gun made by Kel- tec had 2 they both were dogs.
Same with Kahr had 3 the slide cracked on one the other two were nothing but problums.
Any Smith and wesson made after 96 using MIM parts and that dumb lock and they started pushing them out the door as fast as they can. Bought to many to list over the years and not one of them compares to my 640-1 357mag. Just sold off my last one.
Side note: all firearm manufactures sometimes put out a Monday or Friday gun but if you go to the Smith Wesson forum you'll read about all the guns that have to go back. It's a dam shame a once great company like Smith & Wesson putting out junk. They should just put the return lable in the box with the gun. Ok my rants over:)
Mike'

#63 ·
I cant remember the model, but it was a old shot out S&W cop gun. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it... even from inside... Next was a Beretta 90-two, had it for about 300 rounds about two months... It was to cold to go to the outdoor range... Depending on what brand of ammo you were shooting is where it hit but never where it should have... Got rid of it and got a FNH FNX40 and its dead on with the same ammo...

#67 ·
Kimber pro carry 1911... I'm not saying all Kimbers are like this but mine was a lemon!

Constant jams, FTE's, stove piping, etc. had it worked on and it still jammed, at least once or twice every 100 rounds.... Which isn't carry worthy IMO. I really really wanted to love it, but she just failed me too many times and I became unconfident carrying it. I'm now the proud owner and carrier of an M&Pc and after thousands of trouble free rounds I couldn't be happier. She's not as pretty as my old Kimber, but reliability absolutely trumps aesthetics. YMMV, no offense Kimber fans.

#71 ·
OP, I had a Jimenez as well... I was young and had that "gun show itch", I couldnt bear leaving without buying something. The little Jimenez was around 100, maybe even less? Brand new. I should have known better.... I ended up giving it away to a Lib who finally "saw the light" living in Atlanta, Georgia. As a relative by law I told him to consider it a stop-gap until he bought a real gun. I guess it's better than nothing...

#72 ·
I have a little semiauto that shoots 22 short that was made in the 50s. It looks like a miniature 1911 finished in nickel. It was given to me by my Dad many moons ago. You cannot get through one mag without a jam. It is essentially a paper weight. It isn't even fun to shoot on the range because of the jams...and when it isn't jamming, you can't hit the broad side of a barn from 5 feet. Terrible gun.

#74 ·
My worst gun is also one of my coolest guns. A Desert Eagle. You really need wheels on the holster for one of these things. Thinking about converting one of those old golf bags with wheels into a holster for mine.
I have yet to find a real use for this thing since I first picked it up in the mid eighties. It does make a neat door stop.
But you cannot deny the coolness factor!

Michael

#77 ·
What was your worst gun purchase?
Sorry...never had one of those myself. I've even sold some I should have kept.

Flea market guns or those that come in a small cardboard box you need to stay clear of. Amen.....and pass the ammo. Go and sin no more.

Reactions: aznav
#78 ·
Walther P22, i loved it, hated it, sold it, bought another, loved it hated it sold it again.....
AR7, it hated me, couldnt get it to hit amywhere near the same spot twice and it was an ergonomic nightmare.

Everything else has been fine.

If Ruger didnt come out with the sr22 i would probably be on my third p22 by now, i really wanted it to work.

Sent from my iPad

#80 ·
S&W titanium 442, can barely fit more than a finger and a half plus trigger finger and 2 shots and your hand hurts and you never want to see it again. My buddy thought he was man enough for it, shot about 100 rounds and his hand had blistered and bled all over my gun.

#84 ·
I love and enjoy shooting all of my firearms. The gun that given me the most trouble is
my Savage 111 .30-06. The bolt will sometimes get stuck in the forward position when
I am chambering or ejecting a round. It is very accurate and I plan on keeping it and
working through my issues with it.

#85 ·
A ATM Hardballer, full sized piece of you know what!
man I wanted that gun to run, nothing I did too it made it go.

It was one of the earlier ones that galled up tight as a drum, traded it for
a S&W 5906, now that was a sweetheart of a 9mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.