Defensive Carry banner

Your Worst Gun

18K views 131 replies 115 participants last post by  chuckusaret 
#1 ·
On impulse, I bought a shiny new Jimenez .380 to give to my girlfriend for Christmas. She'd only been shooting once before, and didn't seem that thrilled with it, but I thought a pretty gun of her very own would get her excited about going to the range (I was right, FWIW). So I saw this thing sitting on a table at a gun show, and imagined her opening it on Christmas morning. The price tag was well below $200, so I decided to go for it. I'd never heard of Jimenez Arms before, but I thought, As long as it doesn't blow up in my hand, it's fine. She is not in a position to be CC'ing for a while, and when/if she decides she wants to, I knew we'd look at getting her something more reliable.

After getting this "gem" home and doing a bit of research, I discovered the ugly history of this particular pistol. One afternoon at the range, and it has been sitting in its box ever since. My LGS wouldn't even give me $20 store credit for it (unfired). At least I got some nice brownie points. Of course, now she expects a replacement, and the ones she likes are not cheap.

What was your worst gun purchase?

#3 ·
At least it's not shoes. You can at least use her gun.

I have an old Iver Johnson break top .32 that I don't think much of.

#4 ·
I've never really bought 'cheap'...even in the early days of my experiences.
I have bought some CCW mistakes, but it's all good.

#5 ·
Kimber Solo, simply due to durability and reliability issues. Accelerated wear on locking lugs (again, 3rd time), FTE's. It started life as my EDC, now it's just a conversation piece.

#6 ·
Research must be done before buying any weapon.
In very early 70's I bought a R&G 22 revolver that weapon defined bad. A revolver that would fail to fire more than it did. I learned latter everything they sold was like that.
I destroyed it

#7 ·
I like all the pistols, revolvers and rifles I have ever used.. Have not had any bad experience...

There are some weapons that need breaking in and that can be done in a day or two... I have seen folks purchase really nice guns which they fail to properly break in so their experience and opinion are negative.. I have also seen folks who do not properly maintain their weapons, don't clean and oil, and have a lot of problems with them.

Reactions: goldmaster
#9 ·
I'd have to say the one that has been the most disappointing to date would be my S&W BodyGuard .38. I really wanted to like that gun, but the cylinder has way to much forward and rearward slop in it for my taste. None of my other revolvers have anything close to the amount of movement that this thing has.

#52 ·
Regrets include a pawn-shop WWII Webley .38 Super. My first revolver about 34 years ago. It was cheap and worth every penny. Talk about slop cylinder. But I didn't know anything and had no one to advise.
Currently, my worst is a Beretta 9000S-F. It's not a bad gun. Just doesn't compare to my S&W M&P 40c. Not as accurate to me. I bought it at a gun show on a whim.

The Bodyguard revolver I shot during my TDI Snubby weekend.

Gottabkiddin, not that the Bodyguard has any slop, but could you not detect the forward / rearward "slop" in the cylinder before you bought it?

I read your thread of recent concerns about your BG. I guess that you accept that S&W designed the BG revolver with a flaw and are not pursuing with S&W, the standard of revolver and customer service?

I never wanted a Keltec and talked myself out of a Kahr until I realize they don't meet my standards.

#83 ·
Probably couldn't handle the recoil ;)

I have one, and it's one of my favorites due to size. works very well. very accuarte when I use a laser with it

my worst was a Kahr P380... what a piece of **** that was. 300 rounds down range and still had FTEs and and FTFs... also had light strikes and slide wouldn't close all the way sometimes. contacted Kahr, they said I needed to break it in more.

I hand cycled the thing hundreds of times (there were metal shavings inside the slide after doing it for so long)

so glad I sold that POS

a taurus 24/7 or w/e it is was **** too. horrible accuracy and slide wouldn't lock. trip to taurus and same problem when it came back... ***? at least it shot unlike the kahr though. lol

one thing I miss is the smooth trigger on that kahr... so much better compared to the PF9

#11 ·
SCCY 9mm. It was NIB cheap under $200. FTF's, FTE's and the safety would engage while I was firing it.

Back to your story....buy her something nice.

#59 ·
Not mad at her. I knew that it wasn't a good gun when I bought it. I just didn't know how bad. It served its purpose, though. It gave her something shiny and exciting to open on Christmas and tell all her friends about.

Honestly, the first gun I bought. A Springfield XD 3" SC. 40 Caliber.

Constant FTF and FTE, sights were off BAD from the factory.

The best however: Walther PPS in 9mm or my Ruger 10/22 Sporter Deluxe.
I just took my new 10/22 to the range today and put a few hundred rounds through it. It was everything I hoped and more.

#17 ·
I can't say "worst" firearm, maybe a bit of a cheap one though.

On a whim in the early 1980's I bought an FIE Titan .25 acp and to this day, I really don't know why. All my other purchases had been S & W handguns.

Yet, I still have it, shoot once in awhile, it fires any ammunition flawlessly even for a $50 pistol.

Thank the Lord it was not a Raven or a Jennings. Then I could say "worst".

#20 ·
I bought an EAA Witness Elite Match a few years ago that was an absolute turd. I sent it back for work and it was still a complete turd. The EAA techs were so rude telling me that it was my fault the gun sucked because I shot cheap ammo in it (WWB). So I opted for some more expensive stuff just to test out their theory. Nope it still sucked.

I normally wouldn't bash a gun that didn't work but what really made me mad was the EAA folks. They sucked.

Never, EVER buy anything from EAA.

Reactions: RonCo
#21 ·
Well, I don't consider any of my guns to be "bad." However, the only gun I've ever had any trouble with is my Taurus TCP738. It has since been repaired under warranty and working fine.

The only other gun that has trouble is my antique WW-II era Sauer & Sohn 38h. However, I am 99% sure its problem is due to the aftermarket magazine.

#22 ·
I had a Heritage Stealth in 9mm. These were early striker fired weapons. The guy that designed it went on to develop the S&W Sigma. This pistol was a gas operated design. Shooting more than a few rounds caused the gas system to foul and jam the gun. Also, the striker was held in place by a retention piece that twisted a half turn. I had read an account where the retention piece let go and the striker ended up in the shooters eye. That was enough, out the door it went.

#23 ·
Since it is back at the factory for a couple more weeks I would have to say my BRAND NEW Kahr CM9. :mad::dead::mad:

#25 ·
I like my firearms choices and don't spend money to acquire "worst" guns. When I was young I had good mentors to keep me away from cheap, shoddy junk guns.

#27 ·
Both the Taurus 651 revolver and Taurus pt-145 semi... two for two on brand new out of the box broken junk and poor customer service... the revolver was a looker.... but I guess I needed to learn my lesson twice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.