Ordered My First Lower...Now On To The Planning

This is a discussion on Ordered My First Lower...Now On To The Planning within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I ordered an AR lower yesterday and now I'm trying to decide which route to go as far as caliber. I'm sure there ...

Ok, so I ordered an AR lower yesterday and now I'm trying to decide which route to go as far as caliber.

I'm sure there are some applications that I am forgetting but due to recent conversations on here and other boards I'll discuss my concerns about each.

300 Blackout and 6.8 SPC
    I already have a 5.56 rifle that allows me to shoot up to 75 gr bullets and I also have an AK.
    I admit that I haven't done a lot of research as of yet, though I have done some, but the 300 BLK and the 6.8 SPC just aren't winning me over right off the bat like I thought they would based on the way I have seen people talk about them.
    They both have offerings in the same general range as a heavier 5.56 cartridge and are similar to the 7.62x39 round as well.
    I'm aware that there is probably more to each round that I just haven't stumbled upon yet but in due time with some more research I might find something that sways my opinion.

6.5 Grendel
    This cartridge intrigues me and is definitely something I'm going to be looking into a bit.
    My biggest concern with this round is the cost and the retail availability of it.
    It also seems to hover in that general 7.62x39 area though.

7.62x39
    I could do this, I suppose, but I really don't see a benefit since I already have an AK.

.458 SOCOM
    NOW WE'RE TALKIN!!!!!!
    This looks like one serious, butt stompin round!
    I love the idea of it being able to single stack into the many AR mags I already have but again with the price and availability issue.
    I don't want to have to plan my range trips out so far in advance that I have to special order ammo from some website.
    But then again having the choices to choose from on this one are pretty nice. You can use anything from an 87 gr hyper-velocity to 600 gr subsonic. 600 GRAINS!!!!!!
    For my intended use for this rifle I think this round might be a little bit of overkill but you only live once right? lol

.450 Bushmaster
    Ehhh....Not doing it for me. Seems costly and I would feel like I was building a "Hey look and how cool I am" gun.

I mostly want to use this build for hogs and coyotes and maybe a deer if I ever get around to doing that.

Any and all input is welcomed. Thanks in advance guys!
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

300 Blackout, if u live in a state that u can hunt with it suppressed, its rocks...

6.5 Grendel GREAT long range gun, ive shot them to 1k

7.62x39 DONT!.. i have NEVER seen 1 that shoots reliably, get a russian 556 over it if u want cheep ammo to shoot

45x's... VARY pricey to shoot, good to 200y for hog/deer, but the heavy recoil makes fallow up shots rough... unless u r in bear country, i wouldnt bother...

this is my 243wssm AR

Senior Moderator
    I build lots of Blackouts.

The thing about the Blackout that makes it great is that it is a dual use gun. Want to shoot 220 subsonics through it that'll shoot through a deer or a hog? No problem. Coyotes? Its almost laughable. Shooting two or three at a time is not hard to do because they dont usually know where its coming from...escpecially if the bullet exits and slaps something hard behind them. They look that way or even run towards you.

Want to shoot a bit further out? Supersonic 125's are the way to go. Big enough to kill deer well, low recoil,easy on the ears and its ballistically equal to the 7.62x39.

Its one of the reasons that Blackouts are so popular, because of the utility of it. Ammo is no longer an issue, with Hornady,Remington and several other companies loading it.

In the AR's they are great. In a bolt action like a Rem.700 or a Win 70, they are superbly accurate and a lot quieter.

Can you tell that I am a fan of the Blackout? I sell a lot of .30 caliber suppressors and many of them are going on Blackouts.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links