Unlucky number 7

This is a discussion on Unlucky number 7 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just came back from the range and something strange happened. I asked to shoot someone’s Glock 21, if he was interested he could shoot my ...

Thread: Unlucky number 7

Exclamation Unlucky number 7

Just came back from the range and something strange happened. I asked to shoot someone’s Glock 21, if he was interested he could shoot my G30 – after 10 rounds through my G30 the other shooter now wants one of his own. The only problem when we got done shooting each others guns was that he ended with my G21 magazine I use as a spare, and I ended with one of his G21 mags.

I didn’t realize this had happened until I got home, and I figured it was no big deal, they are both OEM Glock G21 mags; however, now the # 7 round moves freely back and forth inside a full mag, making an annoying noise (if you have ever heard a "maraca", well, thats what it sounds like). If I take 1 round out (total of 12 rounds left on a 13 round mag) the round gets compressed and there’s no annoying sound anymore – but I want the 13th round!

Any ideas on what is happening to that magazine, and what could I do to make the "cha-cha" sound stop? (finding the other shooter to get my mag back is out of the question)

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Occasionally my HK mags make noise. luckily for me if I unload em and reload em the noise will go away.
    Side note: Number and intitial your mags. That way you know which are yours and if you get problems with a mag you can ID and use it only for range duty.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Plus one for Rocky's suggestion - mark mags as your own to help retain them.

This noisy rattle type problem in some mags is somewhat of a mystery and I have that in my BHP mags. Fill em up - rattle. Strip one or two rounds off - quiet!!

Functionally tho it seems to not matter one bit - pure irritation!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    The spring is torquing the follower under full compression. Possible cures? Pop the base off the magazine and bend the spring in a direction slightly opposite to its wind.

While you're in there look at the side walls and follower, too. If you see any little pieces of plastic poking out, remove them. (A fine emery board or oiled emery paper on a stick will do.) Pay particular attention to the area around the mag catch.

Yeah, my XD SC's 10 rd mags do the same thing. Shoots just fine, and like P95Carry said, strip a round or two off and they stop rattling.

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Who Walks View Post
    The spring is torquing the follower under full compression. Possible cures? Pop the base off the magazine and bend the spring in a direction slightly opposite to its wind.

While you're in there look at the side walls and follower, too. If you see any little pieces of plastic poking out, remove them. (A fine emery board or oiled emery paper on a stick will do.) Pay particular attention to the area around the mag catch.
    What he said.

I would pay particular attention to the sides of the follower and the inside sidewalls of the magazine. If a 'middle round' is not being compressed, then something else is holding other rounds in place. That or the follower is not pushing up correctly when the spring is pushed down. GWW is spot on with that. Just remember to make SMALL changes.

Links