Range time with new friends

This is a discussion on Range time with new friends within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I moved to Florida 3 months ago and started a new job. Been getting to know some of the guys at work and several are ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 2 Post By archer51

Thread: Range time with new friends

I moved to Florida 3 months ago and started a new job. Been getting to know some of the guys at work and several are into firearms and several more are very interested in them. So we planned a range trip after work yesterday (outdoor range that one of the guys is a member of) and had a blast. One of the guys brought some various long guns and his FNH 45 handgun and I took a variety of handguns. I had my Ruger P95, Taurus PT709, Springfield XD40sc, Glock 36, and S&W 442. This gave a range of calibers, sizes, types, and features to get a feel for the variety.

We all had a great time. It gave the guys that are interested in getting their concealed license a chance to check out a variety of handguns. Everyone liked how the P95 shoots. Smooth and accurate, but the bulk factor makes it a little dificult to carry. The 709 fires the same round, but is a little more challenging to shoot for someone not used to it. The 442 was probably the most difficult for them to shoot. The most popular was probably the XD40sc followed closely by the G36.

It was interesting for them to see a large 9mm and a small 9mm and the difference in feel, recoil, and ability to be accurate with them both. It was also interesting watching them operate them as well (different safety features, mag releases, racking the slides, etc.) It really gave them a chance to see what features were easier to manipulate. The .40 and .45 were both about the same size guns with different feel of recoil (muzzle flip vs push back). And the airweight DAO revolver was just plain different from all the others.

All in all, I got in some practice, helped introduce some guys to a variety of firearms, I infused some money into the economy, and got to know some guys at my new job better in the process. That's a successful day at the range regardless of how we shot.
    joker1 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good day all around.

I think I might have to snag a few friend and get out this weekend too.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I get to show someone how to operate their Bersa Thunder .380 so they can take their class next week. Yes I advised against the .380 cartridge and suggested GLOCK 9mm, no they didn't listen. But at least they are getting into arming themselves for their protection. Won't be any range time but hope to at least familiarize her with the 4 rules, loading unloading, grip, stance, etc.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Good for you, enjoy. Friends are the best!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sounds like you're settling in nicely,
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm settling in pretty good. One reason I keep a wide variety of guns is for taking other people to the range...at least, that's one excuse.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I had a similar experience kinda,at our monthly gun range meeting I saw a guy I know walk in the door,he is originally from Detroit.after he sat down he saw me across the room and I nodded.After the meeting was over they moved into giving the safety lecture and Range Rules for new members looking to join.I left and he called me a few days later to discuss something,then he asked are you a member at the gun club,I said yes,he said he joined so he could shoot his Sig 9mm and his son would have a place to shoot his Marlin 22.
    Then he said he wanted to get his CHL and asked if I had one.I told him I carry 24/7 and have been ever since we met.He told me he never noticed that I might carry a gun(Colt 1911 Commander XSE SS frame).Anyhow In the next week or so I got a range date to take him his son and another mutual adult friend to the gun range and let them get into shooting several platforms including HD shotty
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Any time at the range beats work.

The company I work for did the voice/data wiring at the new gun range opening this month here in Richmond. I've already convinced 2 of the owners (3 of the 4 owners have their permits) that we need to go over on Friday afternoons to make sure there aren't any problems with the wiring job we did. Never know, it might just be something we need to check on every Friday.
    BugDude and joker1 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links