Have you deliberately destroyed any of your firearms? - Page 3

Have you deliberately destroyed any of your firearms?

This is a discussion on Have you deliberately destroyed any of your firearms? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Chevy-SS Well, actually it was a very nice old Remington, a wonderful gun. But the sad fact is that when I was ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Have you deliberately destroyed any of your firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Well, actually it was a very nice old Remington, a wonderful gun. But the sad fact is that when I was much younger (almost 50 years ago now), I needlessly shot small animals with that gun. So, the destruction of the gun is part of my self-imposed penance for those egregious offenses.-
    Strikes me as a bit crazy, but I've killed thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of small animals.

Yes I have , Old 20 Gauge bolt action UnSAFE no matter how you looked at it. Better to destory it before it hurt some one.

Every gun I bought was destroyed to keep them out of evil hands. Guns? I don't have no stinking guns.

Unhappy Welllllllllllll not intentionally.......

Kind of a long story but I'll make it short here. Long, long ago, in a land far, far away, it was a dark and stormy night...... Someone gave me an old, no name 22 pistol. It had a square barrel with four internal chambers and a revolving firing pin. It was a very unique belly gun to say the least. I cleaned it, checked it out, and fired it a couple of times, no problem.

On the above mentioned dark and stormy night, I heard the dawg raising hell on the back patio. As I opened the back door, lo and behold, i hit a very, very large & scared raccon in the after regions with the door. Before I realized what happened, he spun around and ran between my legs into the house!

Picture this.......... we had a couple of recent reports of rabid animals in the area. It's 11:30 at night, wife and 3 kids asleep. My oldest son was watching TV when this happened. The critter runs under the desk as yell at Ben to come help me. So here comes this 18 y/o red headed muscle bound high school wrestler carrying a mop and one of my daughters rain boots. Not exactly primo home defense equipment............

Fast forward, I had some stuff piled up near the door to move into my barn. We chase the critter towards the now open door. Instead of running out, he crawls under this pile of boxes. At the time, the only firearms I had quick access to were a 12ga High Standard riot gun, and this old 22 pistol. Being the considerate guy I am () I grab the 22. I'm leaning across the TV with a broom trying to move the boxes and get him to run out the door. Suddenly he jumps up on top of the boxes and starts coming after me & Ben!! OH S#%T!!!

I'm about 4 feet away. I raise the 22 and fire all four shots as fast as I can pull the trigger.......... missed the dam thing completely!!! After the 4th and final shot, that pistol fell apart in my hand into 7 pieces!!!! I swear the coon looked at me, cocked his head like what in the hell was that? Turned and walked out the back door.

since I live in the city limits, I called the local PD only 2 blocks away, to tell them about the gunshots. After the dispatcher finished laughing, she said someone would come over to see me. A couple minutes later, cops pulls in the driveway and it's a guy I've known all my life. He actually helped me learn how to drive many moons ago.

Once I laid the 7 seperate pieces of the gun in his hood, it took me 2 hours to get him to stop laughing and get out of my driveway. Now in addition to the 4 holes in the back wall to remind me of that night, for the next 2 years at Christmas, I awoke Christmas morning to find a stuffed raccoon sitting on my front porch courtesy of the local PD.

Now who says cops don't have a sense of humor......???????
    msgt/ret and Hopyard like this.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have a 75 year-old remington .22 that is so bad it splits the rim and peppers you with powder. I am saving it to weld to something interesting.

If I wanted to destroy a firearm, I would just let my dad take care of it for a couple weeks.

Back when he was a detective, he needed to store his S&W 59 for some reason, so he wrapped it in a damp rag and threw it in an empty paint can which then sat in the trunk of his duty car for over a week in the hot summer. It was like one big piece of rust when he found it. He had a really nice S&W Model 60 as a BUG, and when I recently asked about it, he told me that he thinks it is in some shed outside, but he hasn't seen it in years. Oh yeah, wherever it is, it is still sitting in its old leather holster. Gun care and my old man don't mix.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honk View Post
    Kind of a long story but I'll make it short here. Long, long ago, in a land far, far away, it was a dark and stormy night...... Someone gave me an old, no name 22 pistol. It had a square barrel with four internal chambers and a revolving firing pin. It was a very unique belly gun to say the least. I cleaned it, checked it out, and fired it a couple of times, no problem.

On the above mentioned dark and stormy night, I heard the dawg raising hell on the back patio. As I opened the back door, lo and behold, i hit a very, very large & scared raccon in the after regions with the door. Before I realized what happened, he spun around and ran between my legs into the house!

Picture this.......... we had a couple of recent reports of rabid animals in the area. It's 11:30 at night, wife and 3 kids asleep. My oldest son was watching TV when this happened. The critter runs under the desk as yell at Ben to come help me. So here comes this 18 y/o red headed muscle bound high school wrestler carrying a mop and one of my daughters rain boots. Not exactly primo home defense equipment............

Fast forward, I had some stuff piled up near the door to move into my barn. We chase the critter towards the now open door. Instead of running out, he crawls under this pile of boxes. At the time, the only firearms I had quick access to were a 12ga High Standard riot gun, and this old 22 pistol. Being the considerate guy I am () I grab the 22. I'm leaning across the TV with a broom trying to move the boxes and get him to run out the door. Suddenly he jumps up on top of the boxes and starts coming after me & Ben!! OH S#%T!!!

I'm about 4 feet away. I raise the 22 and fire all four shots as fast as I can pull the trigger.......... missed the dam thing completely!!! After the 4th and final shot, that pistol fell apart in my hand into 7 pieces!!!! I swear the coon looked at me, cocked his head like what in the hell was that? Turned and walked out the back door.

since I live in the city limits, I called the local PD only 2 blocks away, to tell them about the gunshots. After the dispatcher finished laughing, she said someone would come over to see me. A couple minutes later, cops pulls in the driveway and it's a guy I've known all my life. He actually helped me learn how to drive many moons ago.

Once I laid the 7 seperate pieces of the gun in his hood, it took me 2 hours to get him to stop laughing and get out of my driveway. Now in addition to the 4 holes in the back wall to remind me of that night, for the next 2 years at Christmas, I awoke Christmas morning to find a stuffed raccoon sitting on my front porch courtesy of the local PD.

Now who says cops don't have a sense of humor......???????
    Shame you did not catch it on video, that would have been priceless.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I had to get rid of my illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator.

Many years ago while helping my buddy clean out his recently passed great uncles work shop we came across a battered and beaten single shot rifle that had been cut down way shorter than the law allows. My buddies uncle had owned a butcher shop before he retired. We suspect the unregistered sbr was used to dispatch animals.

We destroyed it rather than get caught with it. It didn't look safe anyway.

LOL, well, there's quite a wide variety of replies to my 'reason' for destroying my old .22. Many of you can understand that it's something I am doing to forgive myself. I am cleaning out my closet and my mind at the same time. Heck, I have been in this mindset for the past couple of years, selling off or donating unneeded "stuff" at every given opportunity. I almost gave away the old .22 at my gun club, but I just didn't want it to bring any more misery to small, innocent creatures (no, I'm not a PETA member........ I eat meat, and venison too).

And while I remain a devout supporter of the Second Amendment and a lifelong member of the NRA, I just can't support killing animals (of any size) for "fun" any more.

Peace - and thank you all for the replies, and opinions.

-
    ppkheat likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Destroying any gun is like pouring out a glass of scotch. There's a special place in hell for that...

Destroy one?
    Nope...it would either be in the safe or on the wall. I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Shame you did not catch it on video, that would have been priceless.
    Didn't need the video. I see it clearly everytime I look at the bottom of the back wall. Wife thought it was funny as hell and wouldn't let me patch the paneling, LOL
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

I would have taken it off your hands for free! But I just don't understand how destroying a gun can bring forgiveness. Go adopt a homeless animal, give away the gun, but destroying it has no value. Your memories are still there, they didn't go anywhere. May I politiely suggest you see a counselor? Your posts show that you are seeking redemption for the past several years, you won't find what your looking for by doing what your doing.

I have had a family member that did the same thing, several years latter they regretted it. Next time you get an urge to give a gun away, give me a call, I will use it to teach safe gun handling skills.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2 of them a R&G 22 revolver that was unsafe to fire from the day it was new. A Winchester model 190 22 that was just plain wore out it had nothing left to give.
    I wish now I had saved them a turned them in on one of those phony Gun buy back days ,remember them. I could have gotten more than they were worth and put it towards a new one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links