Have you deliberately destroyed any of your firearms?

This is a discussion on Have you deliberately destroyed any of your firearms? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious how many here have destroyed old, unwanted guns. I recently took an old .22 rifle and sliced it up into pieces with a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Have you deliberately destroyed any of your firearms?

Just curious how many here have destroyed old, unwanted guns. I recently took an old .22 rifle and sliced it up into pieces with a grinder, then threw the metal into a recycling bin.

I guess I'm also asking because there are so many rules and regulations regarding firearms ownership. I'm wondering what (if any) rules might pertain to firearms destruction??

Thanks
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I can't say that I have. Even old broken guns are kinda cool to me. I'm always looking for wall hangers.
    I do know the easiest way to get rid of an unwanted broken gun is to give it to the police for disposal.
    The last broken gun I had was a sears semiautomatic shotgun that I sold as a broken gun and still got 50.00 for it.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I fix broken guns...... throwing them away and destroying them is a complete waste.
    Stubborn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Nope, if I had non-operational guns I would trade them in for tickets to a ball game when they have those turn-in campaigns that make everyone feel good about getting guns off the streets. Not really, I think I would tinker withit and practice my gunsmithing skills.

What brand and model was it? What was wrong with the .22 rifle that required that? If it was an inexpensive gun when new, cheaply made, and troublesome, it would have been worth it to sell to Numrich or one of the other parts suppliers. They are always looking for parts guns. It could have supplied parts to all the other similar rifles that folks are trying to keep going.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    What brand and model was it? What was wrong with the .22 rifle that required that? If it was an inexpensive gun when new, cheaply made, and troublesome, it would have been worth it to sell to Numrich or one of the other parts suppliers. They are always looking for parts guns. It could have supplied parts to all the other similar rifles that folks are trying to keep going.
    Good suggestion selling it to Numrich rather than destroying it plus the profit can be applied to another firearm or ammo.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Well, actually it was a very nice old Remington, a wonderful gun. But the sad fact is that when I was much younger (almost 50 years ago now), I needlessly shot small animals with that gun. So, the destruction of the gun is part of my self-imposed penance for those egregious offenses.

-
    gottabkiddin and Hopyard like this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Well, actually it was a very nice old Remington, a wonderful gun. But the sad fact is that when I was much younger (almost 50 years ago now), I needlessly shot small animals with that gun. So, the destruction of the gun is part of my self-imposed penance for those egregious offenses.

-
    Why'd you take it out on the gun? It was your fault. It was just behaving the way you made it.

VIP Member
    Never! We hold on to them and sometimes take parts off of them. Once another instructor took an old stock and the trigger group (with some duct tape) and used it in the class room for demonstrations. It had no receiver or barrel but he could show the trigger and show the students how to hold the rifle proper. It was a great learning tool. There are lots of good uses for them.

Destroying it would be a waste. Depending on what it was, I'd tinker with it. There is no better platform for tinkering with the insides than something you don't mind ruining. Worst case, I sell it for parts, best case, I have something better than I used to.

no... i sell them at a gun show....

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Guess I should recommend to my uncle that he slice up that old 65 Nova he's got sitting in the barn...
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post

-
    Have you sought out counseling??????
    msgt/ret, Mr B and GoBigOrange like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Had 2guns damaged in a total loss house fire, they are buried on the property.:(
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Administrator
    Did the animals come back to life as soon as you trashed it. I would have disassembled it and sold everything but the receiver for parts on Ebay.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links