Youth Shooting - Daughter is outgrowing her Crickett, Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Youth Shooting - Daughter is outgrowing her Crickett, Suggestions? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I stated very clearly I can't afford another gun, so everyone that keeps saying "get the CZ"... I will be expecting your donations. Paypal ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Youth Shooting - Daughter is outgrowing her Crickett, Suggestions?

So, I stated very clearly I can't afford another gun, so everyone that keeps saying "get the CZ"... I will be expecting your donations. Paypal works just fine.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You could extend the cricket stock with spacers, until she's ready for her very own something or other (you know how the girls think about hand-me-downs). Meanwhile she could set up a lemonade stand (metaphorically) and save up.

Accuracy? Here's a 16.125" 10/22 with target trigger and 4-16X42 Monarch mil dot for 200 yard pop cans.
    Attached Images
    DMan likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post

Accuracy? Here's a 16.125" 10/22 with target trigger and 4-16X42 Monarch mil dot for 200 yard pop cans.
    Thats what I want to do to my Ruger someday - sooner the better! Its easier to spend a little bit of money a little bit at a time than it is to justify a a new gun and spending all that money at one time, then telling the boss (bride) that there is yet another gun in the house, and that ton of money that is going to gas, bills, etc is gone into a new gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    So, I stated very clearly I can't afford another gun, so everyone that keeps saying "get the CZ"... I will be expecting your donations. Paypal works just fine.
    On a side note, how did your daughter like the Crickett and at what age did she start shooting it? My 6.5 YO son recently expressed interest in learning how to shoot a rifle and I have been debating between the Crickett or getting a Ruger 10/22 and putting a youth stock on it.

My daughter loves her Crickett! For that matter, I enjoy shooting it also. We started her shooting with a BB gun at the age of 5 (very early 5 years old). We taught her the gun rules, how to handle a gun, etc. She learned very well, so at 6 we bought the Crickett for her. We also purchased the special mount that allows for a scope to be added to it, and last year for her birthday we put a pink stock on it. She is now almost 9 (in May), and much taller than most girls her age. Through the winter, and the transition into spring, she has begged me to take her to the range, but when it is below freezing, raining, etc, she would get very disappointed. Not sure what she likes more, "Dad" time or "trigger" time. I asked her once, and she said she didn't know but the two of them together was the best!

My son on the other hand is 5, and he has yet to demonstrate the maturity or the responsibility he needs to shoot. His concentration levels are very limited but improving. He is starting to show a desire to learn things, and is now reading, and working on his writing, so maybe he will be able to learn next summer. Each child is different, my daughter took to it early, my son is a little slower to demonstrate his desire. The biggest thing is that I have taken the "mystery" out of the guns, they know what they are, how they work, and what they are capable of, and that they don't touch them unless I am there. To them, guns aren't "Cool" they are just a fact of life. My sisters kids (sister is HUGE anti-gun) go googly eyes and think that they are so cool and awesome and they scare me because they don't have a clue on a gun or what the butt or muzzle is, or the difference between a trigger and a hammer.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the info. My kids have been raised similar to yours. There is no big mystery with firearms, they understand that they are dangerous and not to be played with. I have taken my 6 YO to the range with me (he's a superb brass hunter!) but I've been waiting for him to express the interest to learn since, with his personality, it would have been a fruitless venture to have him start out any other way. He has to get his head around things and make his own decisions. Since he made the decision to be interested, I would expect him to enjoy it fully, so I've been looking around. He's a lefty, so I have to take that into consideration, which is one reason I'm leaning to starting with a Crickett, since I can get a left handed model and not have to deal with brass flying past his head!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links