Defensive Carry banner

Youth Shooting - Daughter is outgrowing her Crickett, Suggestions?

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  TX expat 
#1 ·
Well, today my daughter and I finally went to the range for the first time this year, the weather finally warmed up and finally permitted us to go. Several years ago, my wife and I purchased a Crickett for her that she is starting to outgrow. She turns 9 in a few months, and is fairly tall for her age. She is currently shooting the Crickett at 100 yards, which is really beyond the accuracy of it.

My wife and I have identical Ruger 10/22's. My wife doesn't shoot much and we are thinking we can use my wife's 10/22 for my daughter, however the stock on that is to long for her to shoot comfortably. She likes to be accurate, and I know the stock 10/22's are pushing limits at 100 yards, but I know we can customize them to make them nail drivers.

I don't want to do a lot of customizing as she is still growing, and funds are limited. I am looking for suggestions on what I can do to convert a stock 10/22 so she can shoot it comfortably.

I am thinking new stock (suggestions for a youth stock?)
Eventually an upgraded trigger (suggestions again please?)
Eventually, upgrade the barrel, (If I upgrade the barrel, I would probably have to change out the stock, so this may have to wait until she grows into an adult model).

Any suggestions on what else I can do, to upgrade a 10/22 to an accurate youth model, yet keeping the cost down? I know there are some on here that think 600 or 1000 dollars is economical, but I am looking for suggestions that is more appropriate to family that is trying is watching budgets carefully!

See less See more
#2 ·
My suggestion is to get her used to shooting the 10/22 as it is. A customize job will only help for a small amount of time and she will soon outgrow it.

My first rifle was a Sears .22 that was made by Marlin. I was 9 years old and got used to a full sized rifle after a few times out to shoot it.

I think she should worry less about accuracy now and concentrate on handling the full size rifle. Accuracy will come with time and practice.

Tell her that at 55 I still am not all that accurate, but shoot well enough. I even still have that 1960's bolt action .22 to boot.

Good luck to you and you are to be commended for taking your daughter out too shoot, I think it is wonderful!

#3 ·
Ruger makes a 10/22 Compact model that might fit her well - at least she could grow into it.

Reactions: Guest1
#4 · (Edited)
The Ruger Compact is a great idea - 3/4 inch shorter length of pull, and fully compatible with the 10/22s you already own. If you can't swing a new gun, I'd look on the gun auction sites (e.g., GunBroker) and post a "want to buy" notice on RimfireCentral.com to see if someone has a Compact stock (and possibly the barrel) for sale.

Also, the aftermarket may have what you want. Check this out at Brownell's:
RUGER® 10/22® YOUTH STOCK - Brownells

About one-third the cost of a new gun.

#5 ·
Not to mention the barrel is shorter and will balance better with the shorter stock of the Compact model. This too will serve her well as she gets older since women are often of smaller stature than men.

#6 ·
I suggest the finest .22 made these days under 1K....the CZ 452.

I have a CZ452 Scout and it is THE BEST 22 out there. I shoot in competitions with this little 22 and I beat guys who shoot rifles that cost 800 to 1000 dollars more than mine. Many competition shooters who don't have a grand to spend on an Anschutz (sp?) go with the CZ and they love them.

CZ is no joke. They are REALLY accurate and affordable.

CZ 452 2E ZKM Scout .22lr Youth $285.00 SHIPS FREE

#8 ·
Yep, I would probably modify the 10/22 that belongs to your Wife by adding an aftermarket stock. That would be your least expensive option if your better half is not shooting it.

The 10/22 is the most customizable and adaptable/versatile .22 rifle available.

I certainly don't want to pick a specific stock or brand for you since there is just SO MUCH out there - but, presented just as a quick example:

Intrafuse T6 Rifle Stock 6-Position Collapsible Ruger 10/22 Standard Barrel Channel Synthetic

The Fusion T6 stock for the 10/22 incorporates a 6 position M4-style collapsible stock to change the length of pull to your specifications, blah. blah blah

and it's available in pink. :biggrin2:

#12 ·
I agree. When my son wanted to start trap/skeet shooting, I took an old Mossberg 500 and put a tactical stock on it that has 5 positions on it. It allowed him to shoot comfortably from the time he was 10 or so until now at almost 18. He is pretty much fully grown now, but we have kept the tactical stock on that gun for other reasons. That was by far my least expensive option, I highly suggest it for you in the option that QK presented.

#9 ·
One rule the boss (oops, I meant bride) has is "no more guns in the house". (I keep hearing "no more guns in the house for now").

So I am limited to trading in, or accessorize. I think changing out the stock is my best option, although I like many of the .22LR's out there, I am biased towards the 10/22 due to the customization capabilities of it. I will have to "approve" the stock with my wife, as it will be shared between my wife and my daughter, which makes the adjustable stock looking pretty good. We are still "shopping" however.

Now the pink is cool for my daughter - believe it or not my wife and I take opposite positions on that. My wife doesn't see my daughter wanting to stick with pink, but I would love it if she did. Since my wife will be shooting it as well, if we get the adjustable stock we may go with the beige, or black.

#11 ·
Current stock is synthetic, and even if I found a wooden stock for cheap, I am not a woodworker although I have tried. Working with wood is not my talent - sort of like my cooking.

I would love to get her a new one, I talked to my wife (while she was cooking a wonderful meal) and she said that the only way we could afford a new one for her is if I got the money donated from total strangers. A phrase she uses often which means "not a chance".

Now seeking donations!

#14 ·
the 10-22 is a plinker out past 75 yards.
the cz452 puts the holes in lifesavers at 100 yards.

but for a 9 year old id go with the ruger. my daughter had one since age 7 and at 23 left home and took it with her.
when she gets herself a condo, she gets the Super Brno and the Kimber CSGM.

#19 ·
On a side note, how did your daughter like the Crickett and at what age did she start shooting it? My 6.5 YO son recently expressed interest in learning how to shoot a rifle and I have been debating between the Crickett or getting a Ruger 10/22 and putting a youth stock on it.

#17 ·
You could extend the cricket stock with spacers, until she's ready for her very own something or other (you know how the girls think about hand-me-downs). Meanwhile she could set up a lemonade stand (metaphorically) and save up.

Accuracy? Here's a 16.125" 10/22 with target trigger and 4-16X42 Monarch mil dot for 200 yard pop cans.

Attachments

Reactions: DMan
#18 ·
Accuracy? Here's a 16.125" 10/22 with target trigger and 4-16X42 Monarch mil dot for 200 yard pop cans.
Thats what I want to do to my Ruger someday - sooner the better! Its easier to spend a little bit of money a little bit at a time than it is to justify a a new gun and spending all that money at one time, then telling the boss (bride) that there is yet another gun in the house, and that ton of money that is going to gas, bills, etc is gone into a new gun.

#20 ·
My daughter loves her Crickett! For that matter, I enjoy shooting it also. We started her shooting with a BB gun at the age of 5 (very early 5 years old). We taught her the gun rules, how to handle a gun, etc. She learned very well, so at 6 we bought the Crickett for her. We also purchased the special mount that allows for a scope to be added to it, and last year for her birthday we put a pink stock on it. She is now almost 9 (in May), and much taller than most girls her age. Through the winter, and the transition into spring, she has begged me to take her to the range, but when it is below freezing, raining, etc, she would get very disappointed. Not sure what she likes more, "Dad" time or "trigger" time. I asked her once, and she said she didn't know but the two of them together was the best!

My son on the other hand is 5, and he has yet to demonstrate the maturity or the responsibility he needs to shoot. His concentration levels are very limited but improving. He is starting to show a desire to learn things, and is now reading, and working on his writing, so maybe he will be able to learn next summer. Each child is different, my daughter took to it early, my son is a little slower to demonstrate his desire. The biggest thing is that I have taken the "mystery" out of the guns, they know what they are, how they work, and what they are capable of, and that they don't touch them unless I am there. To them, guns aren't "Cool" they are just a fact of life. My sisters kids (sister is HUGE anti-gun) go googly eyes and think that they are so cool and awesome and they scare me because they don't have a clue on a gun or what the butt or muzzle is, or the difference between a trigger and a hammer.

#21 ·
Thanks for the info. My kids have been raised similar to yours. There is no big mystery with firearms, they understand that they are dangerous and not to be played with. I have taken my 6 YO to the range with me (he's a superb brass hunter!) but I've been waiting for him to express the interest to learn since, with his personality, it would have been a fruitless venture to have him start out any other way. He has to get his head around things and make his own decisions. Since he made the decision to be interested, I would expect him to enjoy it fully, so I've been looking around. He's a lefty, so I have to take that into consideration, which is one reason I'm leaning to starting with a Crickett, since I can get a left handed model and not have to deal with brass flying past his head!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.