Youth Shooting - Daughter is outgrowing her Crickett, Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Youth Shooting - Daughter is outgrowing her Crickett, Suggestions? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, today my daughter and I finally went to the range for the first time this year, the weather finally warmed up and finally permitted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Youth Shooting - Daughter is outgrowing her Crickett, Suggestions?

Well, today my daughter and I finally went to the range for the first time this year, the weather finally warmed up and finally permitted us to go. Several years ago, my wife and I purchased a Crickett for her that she is starting to outgrow. She turns 9 in a few months, and is fairly tall for her age. She is currently shooting the Crickett at 100 yards, which is really beyond the accuracy of it.

My wife and I have identical Ruger 10/22's. My wife doesn't shoot much and we are thinking we can use my wife's 10/22 for my daughter, however the stock on that is to long for her to shoot comfortably. She likes to be accurate, and I know the stock 10/22's are pushing limits at 100 yards, but I know we can customize them to make them nail drivers.

I don't want to do a lot of customizing as she is still growing, and funds are limited. I am looking for suggestions on what I can do to convert a stock 10/22 so she can shoot it comfortably.

I am thinking new stock (suggestions for a youth stock?)
    Eventually an upgraded trigger (suggestions again please?)
    Eventually, upgrade the barrel, (If I upgrade the barrel, I would probably have to change out the stock, so this may have to wait until she grows into an adult model).

Any suggestions on what else I can do, to upgrade a 10/22 to an accurate youth model, yet keeping the cost down? I know there are some on here that think 600 or 1000 dollars is economical, but I am looking for suggestions that is more appropriate to family that is trying is watching budgets carefully!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

My suggestion is to get her used to shooting the 10/22 as it is. A customize job will only help for a small amount of time and she will soon outgrow it.

My first rifle was a Sears .22 that was made by Marlin. I was 9 years old and got used to a full sized rifle after a few times out to shoot it.

I think she should worry less about accuracy now and concentrate on handling the full size rifle. Accuracy will come with time and practice.

Tell her that at 55 I still am not all that accurate, but shoot well enough. I even still have that 1960's bolt action .22 to boot.

Good luck to you and you are to be commended for taking your daughter out too shoot, I think it is wonderful!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Ruger makes a 10/22 Compact model that might fit her well - at least she could grow into it.
    Guest1 likes this.

The Ruger Compact is a great idea - 3/4 inch shorter length of pull, and fully compatible with the 10/22s you already own. If you can't swing a new gun, I'd look on the gun auction sites (e.g., GunBroker) and post a "want to buy" notice on RimfireCentral.com to see if someone has a Compact stock (and possibly the barrel) for sale.

Also, the aftermarket may have what you want. Check this out at Brownell's:
    RUGER® 10/22® YOUTH STOCK - Brownells

About one-third the cost of a new gun.
    Last edited by gasmitty; March 12th, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Not to mention the barrel is shorter and will balance better with the shorter stock of the Compact model. This too will serve her well as she gets older since women are often of smaller stature than men.

VIP Member
    I suggest the finest .22 made these days under 1K....the CZ 452.

I have a CZ452 Scout and it is THE BEST 22 out there. I shoot in competitions with this little 22 and I beat guys who shoot rifles that cost 800 to 1000 dollars more than mine. Many competition shooters who don't have a grand to spend on an Anschutz (sp?) go with the CZ and they love them.

CZ is no joke. They are REALLY accurate and affordable.

CZ 452 2E ZKM Scout .22lr Youth $285.00 SHIPS FREE
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

The CZ452 was on the tip of my tongue...! Excellent choice if you can afford a new gun, only about $50 over a new 10/22 but worth every cent.
    atctimmy and claude clay like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    Yep, I would probably modify the 10/22 that belongs to your Wife by adding an aftermarket stock. That would be your least expensive option if your better half is not shooting it.

The 10/22 is the most customizable and adaptable/versatile .22 rifle available.

I certainly don't want to pick a specific stock or brand for you since there is just SO MUCH out there - but, presented just as a quick example:

Intrafuse T6 Rifle Stock 6-Position Collapsible Ruger 10/22 Standard Barrel Channel Synthetic

The Fusion T6 stock for the 10/22 incorporates a 6 position M4-style collapsible stock to change the length of pull to your specifications, blah. blah blah

and it's available in pink.

One rule the boss (oops, I meant bride) has is "no more guns in the house". (I keep hearing "no more guns in the house for now").

So I am limited to trading in, or accessorize. I think changing out the stock is my best option, although I like many of the .22LR's out there, I am biased towards the 10/22 due to the customization capabilities of it. I will have to "approve" the stock with my wife, as it will be shared between my wife and my daughter, which makes the adjustable stock looking pretty good. We are still "shopping" however.

Now the pink is cool for my daughter - believe it or not my wife and I take opposite positions on that. My wife doesn't see my daughter wanting to stick with pink, but I would love it if she did. Since my wife will be shooting it as well, if we get the adjustable stock we may go with the beige, or black.

Cut your current stock down to fit and install a flat buttplate or buy one for cheap on ebay (several 10/22 stocks have sold for less than $25.00) and modify it. Install a drop in Volquartson hammer. The Volquartson hammer dropped my trigger pull down to a clean 2 1/2 pounds.

Current stock is synthetic, and even if I found a wooden stock for cheap, I am not a woodworker although I have tried. Working with wood is not my talent - sort of like my cooking.

I would love to get her a new one, I talked to my wife (while she was cooking a wonderful meal) and she said that the only way we could afford a new one for her is if I got the money donated from total strangers. A phrase she uses often which means "not a chance".

Now seeking donations!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Yep, I would probably modify the 10/22 that belongs to your Wife by adding an aftermarket stock. That would be your least expensive option if your better half is not shooting it.

The 10/22 is the most customizable and adaptable/versatile .22 rifle available.

I certainly don't want to pick a specific stock or brand for you since there is just SO MUCH out there - but, presented just as a quick example:

Intrafuse T6 Rifle Stock 6-Position Collapsible Ruger 10/22 Standard Barrel Channel Synthetic

The Fusion T6 stock for the 10/22 incorporates a 6 position M4-style collapsible stock to change the length of pull to your specifications, blah. blah blah

and it's available in pink.
    I agree. When my son wanted to start trap/skeet shooting, I took an old Mossberg 500 and put a tactical stock on it that has 5 positions on it. It allowed him to shoot comfortably from the time he was 10 or so until now at almost 18. He is pretty much fully grown now, but we have kept the tactical stock on that gun for other reasons. That was by far my least expensive option, I highly suggest it for you in the option that QK presented.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Get a CZ. They shoot like madness. You have to buy an Anschutz to outshoot 'em, and even then it's close.
    claude clay likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the 10-22 is a plinker out past 75 yards.
    the cz452 puts the holes in lifesavers at 100 yards.

but for a 9 year old id go with the ruger. my daughter had one since age 7 and at 23 left home and took it with her.
    when she gets herself a condo, she gets the Super Brno and the Kimber CSGM.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Take a look at the CZ 452 Scout. 10 round magazine, bolt action. MSRP $300.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links