So I saw my first inherently unsafe pistol today

This is a discussion on So I saw my first inherently unsafe pistol today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my mother inherited this h&r model 923 22 from my recently deceased grandfather. She brought it over for me to check it out functionally. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: So I saw my first inherently unsafe pistol today

So I saw my first inherently unsafe pistol today

So my mother inherited this h&r model 923 22 from my recently deceased grandfather. She brought it over for me to check it out functionally. It arrived as she received it in a leather holster. I removed it from the holster and it was loaded.

Attempting to unload it i realized this pistol has no half cock position and no method of positively ejecting the cartridges. So I removed the cylinder completely from the pistol by removing the center shaft of the cylinder and carefully working it out. I then used the removed shaft to punch each round out of the cylinder.

Afterwards i reassembled the pistol and noticed this gun no manner of safety preventing the hammer from exerting pressure on a round underneath it. All I had to do was push on the hammer slightly and i could see the spur come through and contact the cylinder in the crack between the cylinder and the frame.

So to sum up...

to load it:

Move the hammer just enough to rotate the cylinder freely and load the 9 rounds individually but don't drop the hammer or it could fire.

To store it:

Leave the hammer on an empty chamber...but once again don't drop the hammer while you're rotating the cylinder or it could fire... So I would never leave this one loaded.

To unload it:

Remove the cylinder, (this is more than i would ask my aging parents to do.) Hold the hammer back slightly to unlock the cylinder and shimmy it out. Also once again don't drop the hammer. The cartridges' rims do not recess into the cylinder so if you drop the cylinder trying to shimmy it out of the frame and it lands on one of the edges of those cartridges with the weight of the cylinder behind it, it could fire.

What a piece of junk... I told my mom to keep it around just to keep it but don't bother trying to shoot this one.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a "safe queen" to me. Maybe a fun relic to shoot, but only with high caution. But then again, if you follow the rules if with the higher possibility of a ND you should still be safe, since you never let the muzzle cross anything you don't intend to shoot.
    poptheshark likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    Treat it as a old pre transfer bar ruger single action. It will be safe to carry with it resting on a empty chamber. if you shoot it and still have live rounds in it just pull the hammer back carefully to unlock the cylinder and rotate it around so as to rest on the last empty chamber before the next hot round up. Then reholster or whatever until you reload back up.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Treat it as a old pre transfer bar ruger single action. It will be safe to carry with it resting on a empty chamber. if you shoot it and still have live rounds in it just pull the hammer back carefully to unlock the cylinder and rotate it around so as to rest on the last empty chamber before the next hot round up. Then reholster or whatever until you reload back up.
    I actually have a pre-transfer bar ruger single six! It has a half cock position for safely rotating the cylinder.

I have an H&R 922 snubbie that you have to remove the cylinder to load and unload. Mine the spur can't go beyond the frame unless the trigger is pulled. Sounds like there may be something broken or missing in it if you can just push it forward. I'd ask someone in the know if that's normal. It isn't on mine.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have an H&R 922 snubbie that you have to remove the cylinder to load and unload. Mine the spur can't go beyond the frame unless the trigger is pulled. Sounds like there may be something broken or missing in it if you can just push it forward. I'd ask someone in the know if that's normal. It isn't on mine.
    Who knows, it could be broken... Not worth getting fixed in my opinion.

Actually that is how the gun is supposed to load and unload,by removing the cylinder,they are Cheap POS and my brothers would throw as much lead back at the shooter as what went down range
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It appears to be nickel plated in the photo. I don't think I've ever seen a nickel plated one before though they could have been produced. I'm wondering if it is non-factory nickel plating and if someone who disassembled the revolver for the job didn't bother reinstalling the transfer bar.

These old inexpensive H&R .22 revolvers can be fun and are nominally safe. My cousin had one, a 2-inch snub, and I have many happy memories of competitions shooting at dragonflies and turtle heads while fishing and trimming off weed heads on hot summer days. I kind of wish I had an old H&R .22 revolver.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I've got an Italian 4 shot pepper box .22 that might rival that. No safety, just a long trigger pull. There is enough space when the gun locks up that hot gas and powder come out and burn your hands. And it keyholes at 5 yards. It's my grandmothers so at least is sentimental. The there's the Iver Johnson .32 (IIRC). I don't think I'll shoot that one. Cool old guns though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Here's mine. An unusual configuration of barrel length and grip. It's been a great little gun.
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray and Snub44 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Here's mine. An unusual configuration of barrel length and grip. It's been a great little gun.
    That one's more like my cousin's revolver only his had black rubber grips.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have a somewhat similar Iver Johnson "Sealed Target 8" revolver. You need to remove the pin to take out the cylinder to load/unload. However, the cartridge rims are recessed on mine, and the hammer does indeed have a half-cock position. Lots of fun to shoot, although the sights kinda suck.

Maybe you can keep yours as a semtimental reminder of your grandfather.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I have a somewhat similar Iver Johnson "Sealed Target 8" revolver. You need to remove the pin to take out the cylinder to load/unload. However, the cartridge rims are recessed on mine, and the hammer does indeed have a half-cock position. Lots of fun to shoot, although the sights kinda suck.

Maybe you can keep yours as a semtimental reminder of your grandfather.
    Not to get into too much detail but there is no sentimental value to anything associated with my grandfather. He was such a horrible person that my mom and I practically hi fived when he finally died.

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe you can turn it in at one of those "get guns off the street" events and get rid of it while getting a few dollars for your trouble.
    Bark'n likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Ex Member
    They sure made them different back then. Those were the days BEFORE the scab lawyers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links