At the range today witnessed a safety incident (Somewhat long thread) - Page 2

At the range today witnessed a safety incident (Somewhat long thread)

This is a discussion on At the range today witnessed a safety incident (Somewhat long thread) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I won't go to a range that isn't supervised by at least one safety officer. I'm not going to be involved with an accident from ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: At the range today witnessed a safety incident (Somewhat long thread)

I won't go to a range that isn't supervised by at least one safety officer. I'm not going to be involved with an accident from some knuckleheads who don't know how to handle a firearm.

DC
    My preferred indoor range gives new users a safety test and there is constant supervision by alternating RSO. I still keep my eyes on the people around me for unsafe behavior.

Unfortunately, some people/mgt are more concerned about the idiot complaining that they got kicked out than the safety of other shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    I've always been concerned with the idea that anyone with a drivers license and a pocket full of cash could walk into a range and be on their own. I recently found a new range, and I no longer have that concern. These folks always ask me about my level of experience before sending me in, but people that walk in without a firearm asking to rent one get to spend some time with the Range Master.

Blu-Core Shooting Center
    I don't understand the concern. In many states you can buy a gun and carry it without any sort of training. Arizona, Vermont, and Alaska come to mind. In Indiana and other free states you don't need training. Freedom is scary.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I don't understand the concern. In many states you can buy a gun and carry it without any sort of training. Arizona, Vermont, and Alaska come to mind. In Indiana and other free states you don't need training. Freedom is scary.
    Freedom may be scary and tragedies do happen in a "FREE" society. (That's part of the "price" we must pay to be a free society.)

However, NOTHING is as scary & tragic as a society that willingly gives up it's freedom for the sake of a "false" sense of security.

A society that blindly places their trust in government because they fear unknown tragedy and want to "feel" safer are truly the most "tragic" society I can imagine. (These people are the ones that truly scare me.)

-
    raytracer likes this.

Here is a point about anyone with a wad of cash and a Drivers Liscense. FELONS! That is a huge reasons on why i find indoor public ranges scary. Say a felon who got out for attempted murder, and a criminal record longer than a roll of toliet paper, decides he wants to go to a range and rent a gun. Not only does the lack of safety people show, but criminals shooting as well. Now yes it would be stupid if he started shooting people but it could be murder suicide. Not to mention people looking for a gun to commit suicide. Prime example, look up Badger guns, in Milwaukee WI.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

There is no intelligence test for using the public range. But there IS an IDIOT test. If I see nonesense going on and I'm still there 5 minutes later... I PASS. I'm an IDIOT.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

After reading all of this , im glad I don`t have to go to a range to shoot. I just drive up the road ten miles and im in the forest were I can shoot what ever I want for as long as I want to, and there are no unsafe idiots to deal with.

One guy at a LGS, keep swinging his gun barrel past my head.... and at one point when he did it, I grabbed his gun arm, and told him flat out ..... "you don't keep control of that thing and have it pointing it at my head one more time, you are going to have a very bad day". I think the look on my face, and the tone of my voice, convinced him. He layed the gun down on the counter and didn't touch it again.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    One guy at a LGS, keep swinging his gun barrel past my head.... and at one point when he did it, I grabbed his gun arm, and told him flat out ..... "you don't keep control of that thing and have it pointing it at my head one more time, you are going to have a very bad day". I think the look on my face, and the tone of my voice, convinced him. He layed the gun down on the counter and didn't touch it again.
    I was tempted to say something to them but decided against it.. I convinced myself that I should not be the one who sets safety rules at a public range and I did not want to start any problems and while a weapon is always treated with respect (unlike what I was witnessing) They were not pointing it at me... If this would have happened at the fireline (as it did for the complaining customers) I might have asked them to stop it.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links