At the range today witnessed a safety incident (Somewhat long thread)

This is a discussion on At the range today witnessed a safety incident (Somewhat long thread) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I finally got to the range today to finally shoot for the first time the Sig P238 I bought for summer carry…Which by the way ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: At the range today witnessed a safety incident (Somewhat long thread)

I finally got to the range today to finally shoot for the first time the Sig P238 I bought for summer carry…Which by the way was a joy... I do need to get used to the very low recoil.

Anyhow… as I was waiting for a lane, I saw four guys come in and asked for a lane and also to rent one of the handguns. After they had picked one, the attendant took them to the side and asked them if they were experienced with handguns, which to no surprise they said no. So the attendant showed them the weapon, how to load it, unloaded, and fire, he then handed the weapon to the guys.

Right away one of the guys started “playing” with the weapon, racking the slide, pointing it to something and pulling the trigger, they all took turns and took pictures of their handling of the weapon… One of them while still holding the weapon, also got his safety glasses which he put on while holding the handgun all the time with his index finger in the trigger!

Now as if this was not concerning enough, I thought… These guys are going to go in there and will have a loaded weapon in their hands, well I am happy to report nobody was shot, but there were a couple concerned folks that came out complaining about these guys waving the loaded weapon around as they were transferring it to the next guy to shoot.

It’s amazing to me that ranges don’t go over safety rules when renting lethal weapons to first time shooters.

Sorry for the long thread, I just thought it was an interesting afternoon.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Copy your post in its entirety and give it to the facility owner or manager.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I see somebody handling a gun carelessly and were gonna have a safety briefing NOW,It may start out with,mind if I see your gun,thanks empty gun lock slide open,return to Range Person and tell him they swept me numerous times,one more time your gonna need a body bag
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    After the complaint from the two concerned shooters at each side of the 4 guys I did mentoined it to the manager.. He said the attendant is supposed to give some safety pointers, he said he would take care of it... I left at that.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I see clowning around at the range I go right to the MGR and bust them clowns out.......All you can do
    One time I yelled at 3 punks to chill and they gave me dirty looks but at the end of the day I was right
    relaxed......I think I may break in my new 45 today :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I see somebody handling a gun carelessly and were gonna have a safety briefing NOW,It may start out with,mind if I see your gun,thanks empty gun lock slide open,return to Range Person and tell him they swept me numerous times,one more time your gonna need a body bag
    We were good right up to the last line, at least in Ohio:

2903.21 Aggravated menacing.
    (A) No person shall knowingly cause another to believe that the offender will cause serious physical harm to the person or property of the other person, the other person’s unborn, or a member of the other person’s immediate family.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of aggravated menacing. Except as otherwise provided in this division, aggravated menacing is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the victim of the offense is an officer or employee of a public children services agency or a private child placing agency and the offense relates to the officer’s or employee’s performance or anticipated performance of official responsibilities or duties, aggravated menacing is a felony of the fifth degree or, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to an offense of violence, the victim of that prior offense was an officer or employee of a public children services agency or private child placing agency, and that prior offense related to the officer’s or employee’s performance or anticipated performance of official responsibilities or duties, a felony of the fourth degree.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I would find a new place to shoot and might consider trying to have this place shut down, if the manager is unwilling to square away his operation. Its bad enough that all it takes for a noob to shoot unsupervised at that range are "some safety pointers", but if the range is willing to rent to four guys who do not seem intent on learning the deadly serious business of gun safety, I think this range is a disaster just waiting to happen. You can either do what they do at the NRA range in Fairfax Virginia and require all shooters to pass a written safety test before they can shoot there or require that new shooters take the equivalent of an NRA first shots class to be eligible to shoot there, or simply require that new shooters shoot under the supervision of an experienced shooter at least the first time out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You are right. To the OP, the range should have an RSO on duty. If not find another range if possible
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Another reason I only do indoor ranges on week day mornings.

I am going to send them an email.. While I spoke to them, that does not mean much.. People tend to put more attention when it is in writing.

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You are right. To the OP, the range should have an RSO on duty. If not find another range if possible
    This.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

I've always been concerned with the idea that anyone with a drivers license and a pocket full of cash could walk into a range and be on their own. I recently found a new range, and I no longer have that concern. These folks always ask me about my level of experience before sending me in, but people that walk in without a firearm asking to rent one get to spend some time with the Range Master.

Blu-Core Shooting Center

VIP Member
    I generally don't do public ranges for this reason.

On the rare occasion that I'm in a pinch and do, once I see this crap, I pack up and go.

I'm not paid to be the RSO.

Been shooting for 50 yrs.......but I have become concerned about shooting at indoor ranges after seeing some of those types myself, scarry.
    I shoot at an outdoor private club and mostly during the weekday......not on weekends either.

VIP Member
    I agree there is a problem there with that range. At our club we do not have range officers. So we have to police ourselves. it is a private club and we have very little problems. The few times we do (when I am there) I go over and deal with it in a polite way and get it resolved. It usually ends up with them signing up for one of my classes and I end up with a new friend at the end of the day! Some people just don't realize what they are doing unless you point it out. If you help them and explain it to them instead of yelling at them it works well. I sometimes may offer to let them shoot one of my guns. They often ask me if I would like to shoot theirs also. But I guess that is the difference between a private members only vs open to the public.

I would talk to the owner or manager of that range/shop. They need to fix that problem right away. The range owner has a big responsibility to keep his property/ range safe. Please follow up with the owner/ manager. If they give you a negative response let us know so we can decide if we want to spend any of our hard earned money there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links