Man cleaning gun NDs through hand, kills wife

This is a discussion on Man cleaning gun NDs through hand, kills wife within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have to follow the rules!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Man cleaning gun NDs through hand, kills wife

Have to follow the rules!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

did it say it was a simi?? You could shoot yourself with a snub nose pulling the pin to open hand in front finger in the guard to grip single action bang
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Here is a much better article:
    Winnabow woman killed by gunshot | BrunswickBeacon.com
    A 20-year-old woman was killed Sunday in what investigators say appears to be an accidental shooting.

Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. Del Routh said Samantha Reynolds, of 9 Paradise Drive, Winnabow, was killed Sunday afternoon when she was shot in the abdomen.

A second subject was also shot in the hand.

Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Charlie Miller said George Woods, 35, of 8229 King Road, Fayetteville, was attempting to put a gun away after target shooting with Reynolds near her home.

The gun fired a single shot, striking Woods in the hand, then striking Reynolds in the abdomen, killing her, Miller said.

Initial information released about the shooting indicated Woods was cleaning the gun when it went off, but Miller said that no longer appears to be the case. Investigators still believe the shooting was accidental.

Miller said investigators have discussed the shooting with District Attorney Jon David and it did not appear that any charges would be filed.

At press time Tuesday, no charges were filed.

The shooter was not the decedents husband, the other new source retracted the relationship.

Prayers go out to the family of the deceased.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    IT would not have prevented this but people do have accidents when handling there gun. If the gun was properly handled it would not have happened. Gun owners often handle their guns when in the rest room or in the changing rooms. Here is a perfect example:

Pastor's daughter dies after accidental shooting in church | TBO.com

It only reinforces the idea that if a gunowner cannot be safe in their home, what makes me think they will be safe in public? As a business owner I wouldn't want these unsafe people coming into my store armed. This article just reinforces my idea that the general gun owning public cannot be trusted to safely do things.
    im missing something re your posts. the count says 756 but for recently i do not remember your posts;
    and these are reather against the grain.

care to explain why and how you have these feeling yet are here on a gun post?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

...If the gun was properly handled it would not have happened.
    Agreed.

Gun owners often handle their guns when in the rest room or in the changing rooms.
    My experience is I don't remove my gun from its holster, I SAFELY adjust the holster as needed or remove it if I need to. The point being I don't un-holster my gun.

It only reinforces the idea that if a gunowner cannot be safe in their home, what makes me think they will be safe in public?
    A logical conclusion.

As a business owner I wouldn't want these unsafe people coming into my store armed.
    I wouldn't want an unsafe gun owner in my midst either.

This article just reinforces my idea that the general gun owning public cannot be trusted to safely do things.
    IMO, this is simply distorted. Would we say that the general driving public cannot be trusted to safely do things? When we drive we often make decisions based upon trust that the other driver will obey the law.

Freedom comes with consequences. You can't have without being had by the thing you want.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

I don't think toorop communicated well, hopefully he was trying to say that all gun owners need to be responsible and educated for gun safety. Of that I think we would all agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

It only reinforces the idea that if a gunowner cannot be safe in their home, what makes me think they will be safe in public? As a business owner I wouldn't want these unsafe people coming into my store armed. This article just reinforces my idea that the general gun owning public cannot be trusted to safely do things.[/QUOTE]

By this logic ,people should not have cars,hammers ,axes,band saws,motorcycles, children (women die in child birth every day!)
    Get a grip. More people are killed with blunt interments and cars than guns.

What we need is comprehensive safety course in school, how to handle guns,chain saws, axes, bow and arrow,matches----------------

Oh wait parents are supposed to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by WilmD View Post
    This is still an open issue - the police dept. (as of today) have not closed it. The girl asked the man to show her the gun, she then aimed it, the gun ricocheted (sp?) hitting her in the stomach and the man (who was standing in back of her got shot in the hand). My question is why would a "responsible" adult (I'm assuming he'd be a responsible adult) hand over a loaded Glock to a 20 year old thin girl who maybe stands 5" and tell her to take aim and shoot? By the time the paramedics arrived and take her to the nearest hospital, with her mother either riding
    with them or by someone standing by, the mother is then told her daughter had passed.

I think the man is guilty of manslaughter, solely because I don't believe he tried to kill the young girl on purpose and it was an accident - but the man didn't think it through. May the police dept. resolve the problem ASAP.

I would also like to read the autopsy results of a bullet that hits a 5 inch tall woman in the abdomen. On second thought.....never mind.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

The gun fired a single shot, striking Woods in the hand, then striking Reynolds in the abdomen, killing her, Miller said
    Winnabow woman killed by gunshot | BrunswickBeacon.com

I think they should arrest the writers,there are a lot of things you can say but the gun did not fire a single shot. The gun discharged , how or why to be determined.

VIP Member
    Gotta keep that muzzle in a safe direction. Why was his hand in front of the muzzle?

stuff happens

you are correct guns dont just go off, just like nothing thats not supposed to happen never occures.............(murphy's law maybe?) while he was trying to clear the weapon it jammed and went off WHILE THE GUN WAS POINTING AWAY FROM EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone who feels the need to dispute my eyewitness account feel free but you are doing nothing but wasting your time! I guess everyone else one this forum leads perfect lives where random things that are never supposed to happen never do...oh yeah the Titanic never sank its still afloat in charleston harbor

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olduser View Post
    Agreed.

1) My experience is I don't remove my gun from its holster, I SAFELY adjust the holster as needed or remove it if I need to. The point being I don't un-holster my gun.

2) A logical conclusion.

3) I wouldn't want an unsafe gun owner in my midst either.

4) IMO, this is simply distorted. Would we say that the general driving public cannot be trusted to safely do things? When we drive we often make decisions based upon trust that the other driver will obey the law.

Freedom comes with consequences. You can't have without being had by the thing you want.
    I will answer them as I have numbered them.

1) It is easy to agree on that fact.

2) That is your experience. However people have improperly handled guns numerous times. And it causes accidents.

Link 1.

Link 2.

Link 3.

I can find more. But all of these instances are a drop in the bucket and reinforce my point that people are not always safe. I feel that with this knowledge, that people are sometimes unsafe, a business should have the ability to post a sign making it a criminal offense to prohibit people from legally carrying in their stores. Nothing is forcing us and it is only granting storekeepers and business owners more freedom. Property rights should be very important and I think that states should take this into account. Many times people on this forum and others openly boast and gloat about ignoring signs since they carry no weight of law, and this is a slap in the face to property owners across our nation who are having their rights disrespected and their wishes ignored on their own property.

3 & 4) We both agree there.

5) I agree with you. We take risks when we drive. However we all pay for the roads so we should have the right to use it. Not all of us pay the rent on private property, so not everyone should have the right to use it as they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    im missing something re your posts. the count says 756 but for recently i do not remember your posts;
    and these are reather against the grain.

care to explain why and how you have these feeling yet are here on a gun post?
    I explained below. I am just thinking this is another example of why people don't trust gun owners and that as a business owner it is terrible that I don't often get the respect from the gun owning public who routinely violate posted buildings because there is no law stopping them from doing so.

I will start another thread and post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    It only reinforces the idea that if a gunowner cannot be safe in their home, what makes me think they will be safe in public? As a business owner I wouldn't want these unsafe people coming into my store armed. This article just reinforces my idea that the general gun owning public cannot be trusted to safely do things.
    By this logic ,people should not have cars,hammers ,axes,band saws,motorcycles, children (women die in child birth every day!)
    Get a grip. More people are killed with blunt interments and cars than guns.

What we need is comprehensive safety course in school, how to handle guns,chain saws, axes, bow and arrow,matches----------------

Oh wait parents are supposed to do this.[/QUOTE] I agree. But you don't understand my logic since I seem to have been unclear. I think that the general public is unsafe but they have the right to carry firearms on public property. However if I was a business owner I would not want people carrying on my property except for myself and a few people whom I know to be safe.

IT would not have prevented this but people do have accidents when handling there gun. If the gun was properly handled it would not have happened. Gun owners often handle their guns when in the rest room or in the changing rooms. Here is a perfect example:

Pastor's daughter dies after accidental shooting in church | TBO.com

So you have one example (I can think of a couple of others, but still...) of someone taking out their gun and having a ND in public and use that as the reasoning for signs having the force of law?

So there are at least 20 million gun owners, and less than 1000 (more like 700) accidental shootings each year, which means that less than 0.0005% of the gun owning population accidentally hurt people with their firearms each year... THIS is hardly evidence that "the general gun owning population cannot be trusted to safely do things."
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links