Back up gun (BUG) carry one? Practice with it?

This is a discussion on Back up gun (BUG) carry one? Practice with it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't always but do often carry a BUG. It depends on what I am doing and where I'll be doing it. Sometimes I'll carry ...

View Poll Results: BUG or no BUG

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I practice with it too

39 66.10%
  • Yes, but I never or rarely shoot it

0 0%
  • No, never thought about it

1 1.69%
  • No, thought about it but don't think I need one

10 16.95%
  • No, I carry way too much stuff on me as it is

9 15.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back up gun (BUG) carry one? Practice with it?

Back up gun (BUG) carry one? Practice with it?

I don't always but do often carry a BUG. It depends on what I am doing and where I'll be doing it.
    Sometimes I'll carry my BUG as my primary weapon, again depending on circumstances.

I like my j-frames and my mk9 for this job and I practice with them regularly. I also use a j-frame 357 mag in IDPA "BUG" matches which are a lot of fun and I do well with it.

So do any of you carry a BUG? Do you practice with it regularly or ever?
    If you don't carry a BUG, why not?

2. Remove Ads

I carry one once-in-awhile. I practice with it again, once-in-awhile. Not something I feel the need for in my everyday travels and I already have way too much junk in my pockets as it is.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I answered YES I carry a BUG and YES I practice with it for the poll. But that is not the actual truth just yet!

I have been looking for a BUG to carry for about a year now, looked at all of them that peaked my interest and even one's that didn't.

Couldn't find anything I liked and wanted to call my pocket BUG. I have been wanting an R9s for quite some time but thought they were way out of the price range that I wanted to spend on a BUG as well as the wait for getting one.

My wait is now over as I bought erh's R9s this week. So in just a few day's now I will have an official BUG after, function and reliability testing. So YES I will soon be carrying a BUG and YES I will shoot it to practice on a moderate basis.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    NAA Mini 22 mag is an almost constant BUG companion when out and about - and it gets shot periodically. Lives either in vest pocket this time of year or top shirt pocket in winter.

A better BUG is R9 which at times goes in pocket if I feel the need for more caliber.

Most of time tho at home just my 1 226 and nothing else. I am fortunate that I am not out a huge lot.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yes and Yes.

I don't carry a BUG all the time but I do carry it frequently and I do practice with it. Right now my BUG is a Taurus 85 ultra-lite.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Nope. I am of the opinion the most legally armed citizens have no need of a second gun.

Voted option # 1; as it stands right now in PR, only 1 handgun can be carried at a time with a carry permit - don't really have the funds to contest the decision, so I just carry my primary.

I have my primary carry weapon (XD 9 SC or .40 service, occasionally bersa .380) and that's it for guns. Part of it is that i have enough stuff (gun, extra mag, knife, flashlight, 'biner w/ keys, +/- multi tool). The other is that i can't really picture a situation where I'd need or want it. Sure... there are situations where it could come in handy... but there are also situations where I need my AR-15 or shottie and i'm sure NOT gonna have that. I depend more on my situational awareness to keep me out of situations like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post
    Nope. I am of the opinion the most legally armed citizens have no need of a second gun.
    "One is none, two is one" ...from a master teacher(Clint Smith).
    What is that guy's name ... Oh, Murphy!
    ...one jagged hole!

Senior Moderator
    I don't carry a BUG, but there's no doubt that a BUG offers advantages a single gun can't. But, the real question I suppose is what are the chances any of us will be in a situation where our main carry gun won't work?

I realize there have been a few cases where a BUG made a difference, but it is estimated that guns are used over a million times a year in self-defense. IIRC, the NRA says that in something like 90% of the confrontations, the mere presence of a gun ends the confrontation.

Still I applaud those that carry BUGs, and have no criticism at all for those that choose to carry only one gun.

Quote Originally Posted by exit42 View Post
    "One is none, two is one" ...from a master teacher(Clint Smith).
    What is that guy's name ... Oh, Murphy!
    exit42,

I have nothing but respect for Clint Smith, his experience and his accomplishments. While I will consider what the man has to say, I prefer to think for myself.

What follows are my thoughts on the subject of BUG's revised, yet again, from earlier posts on the subject. (You will note I have considered Mr. Murphy.)

Here are some common reasons to carry a BUG and my thoughts:

#1. I am going to a "high threat" area. Most BUGs are smaller than the primary, harder to shoot well and are chambered in a less powerful round than the primary gun. If I am going into a "high-threat" situation I want an increase in the quality of my firepower. A .32 in my pocket or a .38 on my ankle does nothing to increase my firepower. Quantity does not equal quality. If I need a second gun I want something bigger, easier to shoot well and more powerful than my primary handgun (READ: long gun). Better yet, stay home.

#2. Instead of reloading, I'll transition to my back-up. If my handgun goes dry, I plan on reloading. The "New York reload" was fine when everyone carried a revolver and reloading was done with individual cartridges in a dump pouch. If you carry a semi-auto, I do not see the need. I have yet to meet the individual who could transition to their back-up faster than they could reload a semi-automatic pistol. I also have yet to meet the individual who practices transitioning to their BUG rather than reloading their primary.

#3. If the BG gets my gun, I'll have another. If I lose control of my gun, that means my assailant is close. I will use my knife, which I consider to be a superior weapon to the handgun at extreme close quarters.

Also, consider that a second gun potentially complicates the retention problem. There are now two firearms potentially available to your assailant(s). Believe it or not, guns do come out of belt holsters, pocket holsters, ankle holsters, etc. when you are fighting at close quarters.(Murphy rears his ugly head) Defending against a gun grab is hard. Defending against two gun grabs simultaneously is damn near impossible.

#4. My primary gun might break. I use only high quality firearms, magazines and ammunition. I maintain my firearms religiously. If I have a malfunction, I will clear it and get back into the fight. Yes, that takes time but so does accessing my second gun. In the highly unlikely event that my weapon breaks, I will close and finish the fight with my knife (the Tueller Drill works both ways).

I would add that I have yet to meet the civilian who automatically tranisitions to their BUG rather than performing immediate action.

#5. I can arm another "good guy." I am responsible for me, you are responsible for you. Outside of a military context, I do not subscribe to the idea sharing of magazines or ammunition with other "good guys." If you could not get it done with your ammo, I have little confidence that you will get it done with any of mine. If you could not be bothered to get a permit or carry a gun (if you have a permit) that is your problem. I am not a Sherpa or a caddy.

A comment about Murphy. Yes, Murphy is alive and well. He and I have made one anothers' acquaintance on more than one occasion. A second gun is no guarantee against Murphy. If your primary gun can fail, so can the second, and the third...At some point preparation needs to be tempered with reason.

Murphy's diabolical genius lies in presenting you with a problem you haven't considered. Careful preparation helps, but ingenuity and flexibility are the keys to beating Murphy.

My personal rules governing BUGs:

* If I don body armor, I need a second gun.

* I only need one handgun. If I need a second gun, I want a long gun.
    Last edited by Blackhawk6; August 29th, 2006 at 07:20 PM.

VIP Member
    Now that I work for myself 14 hours a day 7 days a week(C-Store & Deli) I carry my 1911 and J -frame everyday.Only problem is I have no time to get my shooting in anymore.But when I was shooting at least twice a week I shot my carry gun and my bug gun each time.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    The only time I carry a bug is at night I'll take my XD9 and my .38 special derringer. I practice with both, eventhough the derringer isn't effective beyond 10ft, which makes it really effective if I get carjacked. it gives me time to draw my 1911

And when I travel I'll put the derringer in the cup holder of my pick up
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

naa mini-mag is it and yes....I do practice with it

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    NAA mini gets carried occasionally, fired occassionally.

I'm going to shoot it in a BUG sidematch in a few weeks, should be interesting.

I most often carry it when I'm going to have to leave my primary in the car, such as in a doctor's office or something.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links